Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dvwtwo

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2010
Where is the NFL? I shut down Dish expecting the NFL network would come to the Apple TV. Now that the season is here, I will have to get dish again. Come on apple, you have the other sports, WE NEED THE NFL!

Also, why is there no NFL apps for the AppleTV? I have MLB and NBA, and I have an NFL Rewind subscription, but I can't watch it on the AppleTV. There's an iPad app but it doesn't allow AirPlay to be used.

I think we can safely blame the NFL & DirecTV. The exclusive Sunday Ticket deal remains; it's how DirecTV keeps its subscriber base strong. Though we would all love an MLB.tv-style option for the NFL, I don't see it coming anytime soon due to this archaic arrangement. The NFL is way behind MLB when it comes to new media. Baseball is the vanguard.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
No, it's not.

Maybe low-bitrate web video is fine, but that's not the point. Try streaming anything at 720p or 1080p at a decent bitrate and mirroring chokes on Wi-Fi.

I just came from two old MCE extenders, which had absolutely no issues streaming 1080p content over the same Wi-Fi network.

I don't know why I'd need to do that. Airplay from the MBA is reserved only for those video types that we can't get to the ATV is other ways. All of my video content I own gets there fine in other manners, we watch Netflix directly, so it's only the rare content that we can ONLY get in a desktop web browser that we need to mirror, and so far, even at the good quality that is available from many websites, that's working quite well.

The VAST majority of issues reported in the ATV forum here regarding video and Airplay are exposing issues with the users own networks.

woodbine

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2010
Bath, UK
Sarcastic? It's how I watch practically all video now.
yes but....if you really want to watch all your videos, you must jailbreak it. I find it sad that Apple could easily sell many millions more if they allowed such apps as Plex onboard. I guess the studios have a big say in how it develops.

arbogast777

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2010
The best day for me would be when Apple connects iTunes to Ultraviolet like Vudu does. Apple would still make the sale but your purchase would be registered to UV so if you wanted to switch ecosystems you could...

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
could you please elaborate a bit or educate me so i know how to use my gear - apparently I'm too stupid to use only 1 device when using AirPlay (roll eyes)

I think you need to clarify your earlier complaint about having to 'use two devices to accomplish one task.'

Why would someone want to hear music from their iphone on their full sized stereo? Why would anyone want to watch video on a big screen? Gee, I can't imagine.

extradryny

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2011
I think we can safely blame the NFL & DirecTV. The exclusive Sunday Ticket deal remains; it's how DirecTV keeps its subscriber base strong.

Except you can get NFL Sunday Ticket through the Playstation Network, too.
http://us.playstation.com/psn/nfl/

For most of the world, AppleTV won't be a serious option for un-tethering until it does much, much better with live sports. Hope they get on it soon!

hexx

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2010
London, UK, \m/
I think you need to clarify your earlier complaint about having to 'use two devices to accomplish one task.'

Why would someone want to hear music from their iphone on their full sized stereo? Why would anyone want to watch video on a big screen? Gee, I can't imagine.

right, for airplay you need atv and another device. what's the point if they could easily offer bbc iplayer on the atv? i don't want to stream it from my phone/ipad i want native app like netflix. i hope it makes more sense to you now.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
ATV3=worthless.

If it weren't for that Apple Store gal with the big knockers I wouldn't have bought it. :eek:

AirPlay with my iPhone 4s takes 10 times longer to get a movie going than setting up an HDMI cable from my macbook.

rugratmike

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
ios 6 and apple tv

Hi, I've been visiting this site for a long time. This is my first posting. I hope it is not a dumb question.. lol..
I just bought the apple tv on saturday and realize I can do photo stream and airplay, which is awesome!!
However, I noticed watching netflix and playing with my iphone (random games), it stops the apple tv streaming. Does anyone else notice this?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Ever heard of MKV?

Yes, I have many. AirVideo or Plex fills the void quite nicely.

right, for airplay you need atv and another device. what's the point if they could easily offer bbc iplayer on the atv? i don't want to stream it from my phone/ipad i want native app like netflix. i hope it makes more sense to you now.

I understand. Unfortunately, until they add full app installation, they are never going to have 'everyone's' app. For now, Airplay fills that need quite well, and if it was the ONLY thing the AppleTV did, I'd still buy one.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
Oh yeah. Apple's most useless product...

Apples most UNDERRATED product you mean.... ;)

Waiting for the TWIT app for Apple TV. For now stream from iPad or iMac ?

Not bad for a hobby. :apple:

That's why I bought a Roku XS. Sams club, return, never used, $67. Love the TWIT and No Agenda apps.

Where is the NFL? I shut down Dish expecting the NFL network would come to the Apple TV. Now that the season is here, I will have to get dish again. Come on apple, you have the other sports, WE NEED THE NFL!

Because Direct TV pays the NFL a huge sum to have that exclusivity. See Verizon and NFL mobile phone access. Just pay the NFL $40 for the season pass and watch the games online in their condensed versions. Much better that going the Direct TV route unless you have to watch it same day on a bigger screen. I'd rather have the condensed versions.

But, I would LOVE and NFL app for viewing them on the big TV.

why not subscribe to the podcasts?

That works too. I used to do that before I bought a Roku XS. Well, three Roku XS's now.

This Apple TV update has completely whacked out my device. Stuck on the "What's New" screen. Buttons do nothing. Tried resetting. Screen goes black for a few seconds every few minutes

I've reset so many times after applying update. Unit works for about six seconds before freezing and I have to reset again

Take the Apple TV, plug a micro USB cable into it and update from your PC via iTunes.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Great, I hope that Netflix and renting movies won't take ages to stream. I'm on a 7mbps connection and Netflix stops every 30 seconds or so but not on any other device or computer in the house, and it takes about 2 hours for a movie to be ready to view from iTunes, but not from my computers or iDevices when rented from those in the same house.

Frustrated!

hexx

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2010
London, UK, \m/
I understand. Unfortunately, until they add full app installation, they are never going to have 'everyone's' app. For now, Airplay fills that need quite well, and if it was the ONLY thing the AppleTV did, I'd still buy one.

yep, PS3 for now for iPlayer. I'll wait for JB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.