Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Yeah, it's only enabled on certain apps, and unfortunately not on some big ones like NFL and HBO Go. Mostly is those pesky licensing issues that shut it down.

Thanks, that's good to know. I was assuming I could just mirror my iDevice.

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA
Hopefully quick iTunes account switching will also come to iTunes / AppStore on Mac and iPhone/iPad soon!

What you mean "Quick iTunes Account Switching"? You can switch iTunes accounts on Macs by switching to an other user by logging out of one user and into another saved on the Mac.

jreed91

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2009
does anyone know if there's a way to send the audio from apple tv to my speakers that are hooked up to my computer?

heyitsfez

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
Anyone have any trouble with Photostream after updating? It takes me through the setup then it gives an error saying "Photostream cannot be used because the iCloud terms and conditions have changed. For more information please visit Apple.com/icloud/support" I went to the website but there is no option to agreeing to the new terms. Does anyone have this issue??

nelmat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Last I saw Netflix only had seasons 1-2 of Dexter and that much was removed last year.

If I'm mistaken, please correct me because I'd like to continue the series without 1) paying a fortune on iTunes or 2) subbing to Showtime (which I know has great series, but there's enough good stuff to catch up on for now like Mad Men and Breaking Bad).

Dexter, weeds and true blood are all on Netflix, and that's the limited uk library we currently have to put up with this side of the pond. Game of thrones is in iTunes, and best of all seasons one to four of breaking bad are available on Netflix, the only way to legally watch them in the UK without having to purchase the DVD over here.

New seasons are added to Netflix all the time and the library is growing very quickly. Much, much cheaper than the sky subscription I just cancelled. Zero streaming issues, and have now been able to cut the cable between my atv and my bowers and Wilkins zeppelin.

I have one of these in every room in the house, it's the best and cheapest way to do quality multi room wireless audio and share content. Anyone that says the atv is useless is either a troll, doesn't own one, believes all content should be stolen for free, or is a moron.

Another free update. I would love iPlayer on here, but I know it will come in time, along with 4OD and ITV player.

Very happy customer, it's the most used device in the house for media and we just got more functionality for free, and it's inevitable more will follow.

:)

----------

Although there's a lot I like about the Apple TV 3, my experience hasn't been great. My main usage is Netflix, and it's constantly getting stuck buffering. I can't make it through an 45 minute TV show without it doing this 3 or 4 times. I don't have the same problem on my PS3 or on my Macs. This is on wired network connection, so wifi is not the issue.

Movie rentals is the other usage. Occasionally we get some server issue and are not able to rent a movie at all and have to give up until the next day.

I've only tried Airplay Mirroring from OS X to it a few times, but I've had a lot of weird issues. Airplay Mirroring from my 4S is strange because it doesn't fill up the whole screen (is there a way to make it do this?); I assume it's trying to match 1:1 pixel ratio, but I wish it had an option to scale.

I use it for audio Airplay occasionally (though I have an Airport Express that I use more), and for that it works great.

Check your network settings, particularly DNS, this shouldn't happen, it's not a standard experience. Even when I had a crap two meg line (until a few months ago) I had perfect streaming from Netflix.

----------

Or add volume control to the remote?!

To control what? How would it possibly operate every single audio device that could be used for audio from the Apple TV?

Biscuit411

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2010
Sorry for the silly questions, but does Angry Birds AirPlay? Most other big-named apps like Tiny Wings, etc? Is there a site I can find that will tell me which apps mirror? I'd buy this for my kids ASAP if this were true.

TooFastForLove

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2007
Canada
Was this update pushed out automatically? I just turned on my Apple TV (3rd gen) and I only have two icons now: Home Sharing and Settings :( WTF happened?!

nelmat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
yep, no BBC iPlayer, no JB for ATV3 - it's quite useless here in the UK and I don't want to use AirPlay - what's the point of employing 2 devices for 1 task?

Well don,t you currently use blur ray player, cable box, television for one task? Why is using an iOS device easily synced to your Apple TV either complicated or cumbersome?

nelmat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
could you please elaborate a bit or educate me so i know how to use my gear - apparently I'm too stupid to use only 1 device when using AirPlay (roll eyes)

What do you mean? You can AirPlay to every Apple TV in the house simultaneously, and with audio you can set each to a different volume level. Inversely each Apple TV can stream different content from the same mac. It's a great device and very, very easy to use.

jreed91

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2009
Figured it out, but it only sends audio from music. Not when you're watching a video. That's what I really wanted to use it for.

coyoteboy

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
Airplay ???

I'm so angry. Airplay doesn't work and doesn't send the sound from the movie you are renting. Airplay on Apple TV works fine with the music and send the sound to an Airport Express without any problem. Why is it too complicated to do the same with movies and trailers.... ? An iPad does it perfectly !

Am I the only one ?

Last edited:

drusa17

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
New Apple TV Hardware?

I'm thinking of getting an Apple TV, but have been holding out, waiting for the new hardware update. What do folks think? Is a new version coming soon, or will upgrades from here on out mostly involve software / streaming vendors? Thanks!

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Time to upgrade your speed.

7mbps on 4G for living out in the countryside is pretty fast. And it was more than enough on my second gen ATV, in fact it ran fine on my 3mbps connection which I just upgraded at the behest of my wife because of these issues with Netflix. I got the third gen and my problems began.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
yes but....if you really want to watch all your videos, you must jailbreak it. I find it sad that Apple could easily sell many millions more if they allowed such apps as Plex onboard. I guess the studios have a big say in how it develops.

Maybe I do if I want to watch *YOUR* videos. None of the videos I own require jailbreaking to play.

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
Frame rate

why won't they add native frame rate playback already?

While, your request would be nice, I don't expect this to happen.

1 second of action will always be that 1 second of action. The only thing that changes will be our perception and subconscious reaction to that 1 second of action.

24 was an arbitrary number designed to appear like full motion using the least amount of expensive physical film as possible. Shooting at 24 in a digital world is not better than 30 or anything else, because there aren't the same expenses associated in acquiring the desired image. It is more of an old established standard, than an ideal frame rate. This is why Jackson is working in 48 and Cameron is working in 60. We have newer technology that allows us to leave the old standards in the past and move forward to what a new standard should look like. This is what professionals are looking at.

The average movie-goer wont notice or care if a 24 film was playing back in 30, and forcing the device to identify and conform to a given rate won't make apple any more money on their "hobby".

Most people only care about hearing decent sound that appears to be in sync with an entertaining picture. Anything else is usually not even on their radar.

You are clearly interested in higher standards, but Apple wants to sell this device to people with almost no standards.

Dcuellar

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2010
Best 100 bucks I've spent was buying an Apple TV. That plus AirVideo on the iphone/iPad and I can stream my collection of 1080p movies at home flawlessly. I also like the audio optical out. I can have my TV turned off and the audio signal will go to my speakers for some music entertainment.

I just bought another one for my bedroom. I used to have a PS3 streaming through DLNA there and a XBox doing the same in the living room. Not only is it easier to stream the movies, but the quality is without a doubt WAY better.

Now what it needs is a better Netflix app. I would prefer Netflix to be allowed to make it. I guess that will all be available once the app store is made available. I feel those days are not too far away.

ruskinthecat

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2011
Anyone else have stuttering issues since applying the update?
Playback was perfect before, but since downloading this update I now see constant stuttering - movies unwatchable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.