Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtnDewFTW

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2009
San Francisco, CA
That was sort of random, don't you think?

Anyway, I'm thinking of getting this one. Don't really care for faces, but I see they added a whole bunch of new stuff to it.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
I see that when I import my iPhoto library to A3 it gives me the option of leaving the (photo) files where they are - does this mean it's possible for iPhoto and Aperture to share the same library, or will selecting this option just turn my iPhoto library into an Aperture one?

kahless

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2010
If you play with your preview/thumbnail settings you'll enjoy quantum jumps in speed and feel with Aperture.

i wonder what settings you are using? preview similar resolution as your screen? bigger? smaller? i somehow never quite had the patience to play around with those settings :)

casik

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2007
Alberta
THANK YOU. Someone who actually understands this as well. I have no idea what these people were doing in the days of film, although my guess is they werent born yet. Be glad you dont have to dodge and burn in a darkroom and learn how to take good photos without having to use any software. All this is doing is making people lazy and making people think that anyone with a camera can be a pro now and turn a snapshot into an amazing piece of art.

All I have to say is that I read this post... AND MY DAY GOT SO MUCH BETTER! It is refreshing to know that some people still take pride in the ORIGINAL IMAGE and not the edited versions. Yes software can do some sweet stuff and has made photography more accessable, but if you want to see if someone is a true photographer, check out their RAW pictures not the edited versions.

Squozen

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2003
I find it interesting that Apple needs to take down its web store at all for product updates. What, is everything a static HTML page? Does Amazon go down for two hours every time a new product is added? :confused:

Yes, as I understand it the majority of the Apple site is hand-coded static HTML.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
I know its easy to import my iPhoto library into Aperture, but what about the other way around? If I spend a month with Aperture 3 and then decide I'm going to stick with iPhoto, is any work I've done in A3 lost? I know Aperture saves original image + the non-destructive editing info whereas iPhoto just saves the original and edited image, but is there a way to get Aperture to create an iPhoto library without having to manually export every edited image?

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I know its easy to import my iPhoto library into Aperture, but what about the other way around? If I spend a month with Aperture 3 and then decide I'm going to stick with iPhoto, is any work I've done in A3 lost? I know Aperture saves original image + the non-destructive editing info whereas iPhoto just saves the original and edited image, but is there a way to get Aperture to create an iPhoto library without having to manually export every edited image?

What feature exists in iPhoto that isn't exponentially better in Aperture? What use do you actually have of Aperture? If you're using Aperture to edit pictures from a family vacation you probably don't have any real use for it.

Just stick with iPhoto for snapshots and things like that and use Aperture for your DSLR RAW hobbyist stuff.

Fazzl

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
Can someone help me?

So imported my iPhoto 09 library and now in Aperture, there are project folders for my hidden photos in iPhoto but I can't access the pictures... Anyone?

runeasgar

macrumors regular
May 26, 2004
Nashville, TN
So rating Aperture as a 'negative' helps you? Well why don't you go protest outside a Foot Locker or a Burger King too? And let's go on Amazon and give poor feedback to books we've never read!

What else can we trash that has nothing to do with laptops?

I didn't rate it negative. I'm just saying, I sympathize.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I see that when I import my iPhoto library to A3 it gives me the option of leaving the (photo) files where they are - does this mean it's possible for iPhoto and Aperture to share the same library, or will selecting this option just turn my iPhoto library into an Aperture one?

You can either store the photos where they are (in the iPhoto library) or in the Aperture library, you can also move them. However, when you create an Aperture library your iPhoto library will not be touched. So you can have both an iPhoto and Aperture library. But if you import new photos you'll have to import them into both Aperture and iPhoto if you want to use the photos in both applications. I don't know why you would want to do that, but you can.

Really, if you don't see an obvious need for Aperture or LightRoom there's no reason to get either of them. They're great products, but they're really meant for RAW processing and people with gargantuan libraries with tons of metadata for each image.

grovertdog

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2006
i wonder what settings you are using? preview similar resolution as your screen? bigger? smaller? i somehow never quite had the patience to play around with those settings :)

When browsing your images, you can greatly speed up the process of accessing and displaying images by pressing P to turn on Quick Preview mode. In this mode, Aperture displays only image previews, which load much faster than RAW masters. Just hit P again when you're ready to edit/adjust a particular image.

I remember tinkering with preferences as well, particularly with Aperture 1.x which was MUCH slower than v.2, but I'll have to clear some cobwebs to remember what it was I did...

This page contains some old, but possibly still relevant info:
http://archive.bagelturf.com/aparticles/tips/tipperf/index.php

Cheers!

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
What feature exists in iPhoto that isn't exponentially better in Aperture? What use do you actually have of Aperture? If you're using Aperture to edit pictures from a family vacation you probably don't have any real use for it.

Just stick with iPhoto for snapshots and things like that and use Aperture for your DSLR RAW hobbyist stuff.

But my single image library includes "snapshots and things like that" as well as more serious stuff and I don't want to run two libraries. Up until now I've used a combination of PhotoShop for image editing and iPhoto as a catalogue. Not ideal I know, but I'm not made of money. I did try the Aperture 2 trial, but it never really grabbed me enough to buy the product. Aperture 3 looks more promising (especially as most of the stuff I use PhotoShop for seems to be there), but I can't just throw £180 into Apple's pockets without a second thought.

So, I know Aperture is better than the split working I've got at the moment, but its too early for me to say whether it's £180 better.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
But my single image library includes "snapshots and things like that" as well as more serious stuff and I don't want to run two libraries. Up until now I've used a combination of PhotoShop for image editing and iPhoto as a catalogue. Not ideal I know, but I'm not made of money. I did try the Aperture 2 trial, but it never really grabbed me enough to buy the product. Aperture 3 looks more promising (especially as most of the stuff I use PhotoShop for seems to be there), but I can't just throw £180 into Apple's pockets without a second thought.

So, I know Aperture is better than the split working I've got at the moment, but its too early for me to say whether it's £180 better.

There's a free 30 day trial.

mlblacy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2006
the REAL Jersey Shore
ah... a lightroom troll emerges. Or maybe just a troll.

LR users are falling out of their chairs in hysteria over Aperture3. It's still a consumer app designed for the kiddies that have outgrown iPhoto.

There is still NO HISTORY log associated with editing in this thing. You can't undo a change one step at a time.

Neither has anybody else in the Pro market.

It is great that you are happy with Lightroom. I used to be happy with Photoshop. I used to even think it was one of the best software aps ever written.

Maligning it as a "kiddie ap" shows a severe lack of knowledge on your part.
History basically is irrelevant, as is pixel sizing. Aperture represents a completely different approach, in which history becomes less important.
Are you going to tell me photoshop has a non-destructive workflow because you have a history palette and Aperture does not?

Using Photoshop since 1.0 (professionally) I can say that my workflow has not changed too much over the years. Photoshop never completely fit the bill either, but fortunately it was extensible friendly, and a vast array of plug-ins arose to fit the gaps. Any program has its flaws, no matter what you are working in.

Actually, you can undo just about every edit you make, by simply deselecting the little checkboxes that appear in the tool palettes. Don't like it, and you can revert with a click. Want to see the original? Hit one key.

As a person who is a professional art director, designer, and one who has extensive experience in high-end retouching, I can say first hand, from experience, that Aperture has completely reworked my imaging workflow, and for the better. There have been a few resolution independent workflow solutions over the years, but Aperture gets it right. There is great power in being able to correct/improve/edit images without worrying about the finished size. Correct an image for a billboard, and then use it as a tiny web graphic, the sizing is essentially irrelevant. In Photoshop final images were usually sized first as a first step.

I really appreciate your insight on a new release of a software program you have not even downloaded for use yet. Instead of adding something constructive to the conversation, you did not, which seems to be a habit. Sorry if I came off has overly harsh, but the influx of trolls lately has gotten out of hand. If you actually use Lightroom professionally, good for you. Why would you even care if someone chose a different (and at least for me, a better) path. Falling out of chairs with hysteria implies you should get a life, or at least get some real schooling in the facts.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
There's a free 30 day trial.

Yes, but that was why I was asking my original question - can I *use* Aperture during the trial and still be able to export my work back to iPhoto if I decide not to buy it at the end of the trial? Or do I have to continue with my current workflow and just play around with Aperture during the trial if I will lose any Aperture work once the trial period ends?

Squozen

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2003
I just resubmitted my info and got a totally BLANK email in reply. Crazy. Not a great deal I can do with that is there!!

I got a broken email as well, but choosing View Source in Apple Mail reveals the download link and serial key.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Yes, but that was why I was asking my original question - can I *use* Aperture during the trial and still be able to export my work to iPhoto if I decide not to buy it at the end of the trial? Or do I have to continue with my current workflow and just play around with Aperture during the trial if I will lose any Aperture work once the trial period ends?

The trial version is the full version. You can export photos with the changes you've made and import them into iPhoto.

I don't think anyone should do any "work" with a trial product.

bigcpoint

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2008
Pimped up Iphoto

Well,

after trying, I have to say.
Photowise, Lightroom offers more functions.
E.g. no History nor Graduation filter in Aperture.

What it offers is the connection to me.com, flickr, etc and the web in general, which were the only reasons, I kept using Iphoto.

Well, not meat, not fish...!

Again, Apply is trying to compromise to get all the buyers, not focusing on high-end professional needs.
But that is no surprise, and surely has been their policy for quite some time now.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I am extremely excited about today's announcement. I logged in this morning hoping to see an announcement of a MacBook refresh (my wife and I are getting a new MBP & new MBA)... but the A3 announcement was 10X better!!! We all knew that the MacBooks will be updated soon... but the A3 status was much more ambiguous. Today was a great day!

/Jim

uber_nerd

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2004
Some dip**** will say that Aperture is better because it has faces. :rolleyes:

Guess, I am one of those dip****

Personally, I consider myself a high-level amateur photographer (I have a library of about 100,000 images) and most of my work is for family, friends and non-profits. I shoot people. This will be great to easily pull together all my resources at one time.

Perhaps Apple actually does research about what other people might use rather than just entertain themselves. :rolleyes:

As an aside, the library/project sync feature is EXACTLY what I have been waiting for, that and the backup on import feature - thank you!

bobdard

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2008
Has anyone been able to get A3 trial to use the A2 library? Mine keeps telling me to choose to create a new library. Even if I double-click on the existing library, it will open A3, then ask for S/N or to continue trial. Then it says we will now create a blank library to use with A3 trial...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.