Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fazzl

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
Can someone help me?

So imported my iPhoto 09 library and now in Aperture, there are project folders for my hidden photos in iPhoto but I can't access the pictures... Anyone?

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
Lovely.

Hey Mr jobs, will i finally be able to import from my Panasonic LX3 RAW files yet??? Its only been out for say, 2 years, and Adobe Lightroom manages to work with its RAW file. How about sorting that out instead of messing about with the ipad.

:mad:

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Lovely.

Hey Mr jobs, will i finally be able to import from my Panasonic LX3 RAW files yet??? Its only been out for say, 2 years, and Adobe Lightroom manages to work with its RAW file. How about sorting that out instead of messing about with the ipad.

:mad:
Have you tried the updates today?

zacman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
1) Can you now finally write IPTC data back into your original NEF RAW files?

2) Can you import the JPEG image that CaptureNX has written into the NEF file?

3) Where is the GPS information stored? Does it recognize the GPS EXIF tags so that you don't have to geotag all your existing photos again?

sladey

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
Sydney, Australia
What feature exists in iPhoto that isn't exponentially better in Aperture?

Events. Because it doesn't exist in Aperture.

Simple User Interface. Aperture by its nature has to be more complicated.

My ideal:
- work in iphoto 95% of the time - simple and effective, and it has EVENTS
- switch to Aperture for the other 5% - more complicated
USE THE SAME LIBRARY IN BOTH IPHOTO AND APERTURE!

Why not aperture 100%?
Because I don't want to teach my wife how to use all of its complexity.

Avicdar

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2004
Toronto

My ideal:

Why not aperture 100%?

Well, that's not quite correct.

In Aperture, projects can be viewed just like events in iPhoto. Complete with the swipe the mouse pointer across the thumbnail to get a quick look at all the images in the project.

And that's not a new feature. Been there since version 2.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
This was nice to see today. I bought the trial activation key to upgrade my copy of Aperture 2 Academic (I don't need the physical media). I turned the faces feature off pretty soon thereafter. I do motorsports photography and Aperture thinks all the blurred wheels from pan shots are faces. :rolleyes:

The places feature is very cool. I'm now shooting with a Promote GPS unit on my camera and love seeing right in Aperture which corner on track I was shooting from. I'll work on some picture adjustments this weekend, so am looking forward to seeing what kind of improvements are there (hopefully including big performance gains).

mlblacy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2006
the REAL Jersey Shore
Nik...

Anyone know if the NIK plugs will work w/ Ap3?

They should, no prob, right?

:confused:

Not sure if the filters work yet... but would be a safe bet to say they will.
As NIK is aimed at the professional market with plugins for Aperture & Pshop, I don't think the wait will be too long.

NIK software does not have forums, but I have already sent a support query regarding A3.

If you read their compatibility reqs, they say Aperture 2.1 or later

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007

My ideal:

Why not aperture 100%?

Honestly, Aperture 3 is really just an iPhoto Pro now. The navigation was updated to more mimic iPhoto, and it should be an easy switch.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Honestly, Aperture 3 is really just an iPhoto Pro now. The navigation was updated to more mimic iPhoto, and it should be an easy switch.

Yeah, up until now I've been using iPhoto as my media library and importing only pics that needed work into Aperture 2. After playing around w/ Aperture 3 it's clearly not just a photo editor anymore, but solid iPhoto replacement. The new brush tool is most welcome, but it's ability to import, and do light editing of, video is the real clincher for me. To me knowledge Lightroom 3 does not support video importing.

bobdard

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2008
Sorry for posting this again; seems like no-one saw it before. I apologize for polluting the thread; I just want to start using the app.

Has anyone been able to get A3 trial to use the A2 library? Mine keeps telling me to choose to create a new library. Even if I double-click on the existing library, it will open A3, then ask for S/N or to continue trial. Then it says we will now create a blank library to use with A3 trial...

Avicdar

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2004
Toronto
Sorry for posting this again; seems like no-one saw it before. I apologize for polluting the thread; I just want to start using the app.

Has anyone been able to get A3 trial to use the A2 library? Mine keeps telling me to choose to create a new library. Even if I double-click on the existing library, it will open A3, then ask for S/N or to continue trial. Then it says we will now create a blank library to use with A3 trial...

No. You can't do that.

Aperture 3 (non trial) will immediately upgrade the library into it's own format. This will forever render it useless to Aperture 2. Since Apple doesn't want lawsuits from people who will then be forced to buy Aperture 3, you can't use an A2 library with the trial.

All you really need to do is export a bunch of masters from your A2 library and use the new A3 install to import them. I know that's not ideal and you likely won't want to build a whole new library with that method...but you will at least be able to mess around and feel the software out.

A3 is currently chewing on my 750 gigabyte library. Its going to take overnight on my MacPro. Big, big structure changes.

Once you have a full licensed version of A3, it will happily upgrade the old library for you.

Ed State

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2004
I quickly breezed through the Aperture 3 vids on the Apple website and it looks like this new version does most everything that the NIK plugs do.

Joe

I know they updated some of their editing functions, but the NIK stuff is really, really good. I would doubt that Ap3 completely replaces them.

Xenu007

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2008
Still no support for Olympus E-P1 RAW files

I really want to buy Aperture, but Apple's limited RAW support for the E-P1 and other cameras is pushing me towards Lightroom. Apple leaves me no choice.

hugodrax

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2007
When is Apple going to send out emails? I have yet to receive my trial email for the download link.

bobdard

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2008
No. You can't do that.

Aperture 3 (non trial) will immediately upgrade the library into it's own format. This will forever render it useless to Aperture 2. Since Apple doesn't want lawsuits from people who will then be forced to buy Aperture 3, you can't use an A2 library with the trial.

Thank you very much for the reply. Makes sense.

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
Anyone know if the NIK plugs will work w/ Ap3?

They should, no prob, right?

:confused:

The NIK plug-ins appear to work fine in Aperture 3. HOWEVER... the NIK plug-ins are 32-bit. So, if you are running Aperture 3 in 64-bit, when you go to access the NIK plug-ins, Aperture warns you that it needs to switch (relaunch) to 32-bit mode to use the NIK plug-in. Happily, simply clicking a supplied (in the dialog box) "relaunch" button restarts Aperture in 32-bit mode and does so very quickly. It then continues along with loading your image into the NIK plug-in you've selected.

I wrote NIK to ask about 64-bit versions of their plug-ins and they wrote back that, basically, they don't have anything to announce.... that they are still testing Aperture 3.

It will be interesting if someone that knows how to really test such things could compare the speed of Aperture 3 in 64-bit mode vs. 32-bit mode. Some are suggesting the differences would be minor, at best.

My biggest disappointment with Aperture 3 is no mention of support for OpenCL. Even though I have a four-core Mac Pro, I'd appreciate as much speed as possible. If Aperture was tapping unused horsepower in the GPU, so much the better.

Mark

hugodrax

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2007
The NIK plug-ins appear to work fine in Aperture 3. HOWEVER... the NIK plug-ins are 32-bit. So, if you are running Aperture 3 in 64-bit, when you go to access the NIK plug-ins, Aperture warns you that it needs to switch (relaunch) to 32-bit mode to use the NIK plug-in. Happily, simply clicking a supplied (in the dialog box) "relaunch" button restarts Aperture in 32-bit mode and does so very quickly. It then continues along with loading your image into the NIK plug-in you've selected.

I wrote NIK to ask about 64-bit versions of their plug-ins and they wrote back that, basically, they don't have anything to announce or reveal.... that they are still testing Aperture 3.

It will be interesting if someone that knows how to really test such things could compare the speed of Aperture 3 in 64-bit mode vs. 32-bit mode. Some are suggesting the differences would be minor, at best.

My biggest disappointment with Aperture 3 is no mention of support for OpenCL. Even though I have a four-core Mac Pro, I'd appreciate as much speed as possible. If Aperture was tapping unused horsepower in the GPU, so much the better.

Mark

Well it does via the Core Image. your GPU gets used.

Anyone knows if lightroom uses CoreImage or does Adobe reinvent the wheel?

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
No. You can't do that.

All you really need to do is export a bunch of masters from your A2 library and use the new A3 install to import them. I know that's not ideal and you likely won't want to build a whole new library with that method...but you will at least be able to mess around and feel the software out.

A3 is currently chewing on my 750 gigabyte library. Its going to take overnight on my MacPro. Big, big structure changes.

Once you have a full licensed version of A3, it will happily upgrade the old library for you.

As I understand it, the trial version of A3 will not upgrade A2 libraries. If that's the case, how do you do a licensed upgrade from A2 to A3 without waiting for the box to ship? When you buy the upgrade, do you get a serial number that you can immediately use to activate the A3 trial?

bobdard

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2008
As I understand it, the trial version of A3 will not upgrade A2 libraries. If that's the case, how do you do a licensed upgrade from A2 to A3 without waiting for the box to ship? When you buy the upgrade, do you get a serial number that you can immediately use to activate the A3 trial?

I remember a while back when I bought iWork 09 online, I was given the option to have a serial number provided online. I'm sure you could do that and get a digital download to use immediately (and licensed) which would also get your A2 library upgraded.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.