Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m4rk0

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2008

i have a 2011 mbp, 2.2ghz

guys did you notice any improvement during the whole boot process and, more in general, any speed increase especially those who have a ssd?
my boot times are waaaaay shorter, whole system's snappier than before (and even before updating it was, duh, FAST). :D:cool:

p.s.: what's your smc version? mine is 1.69f1 but apple support page says it should be 10J4035. :confused:

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Bummer. Thanks.

So are new machines getting the 6gb/s for this port or was it just a specific batch that happened to get this?

It seems to be a specific batch/lottery as even those who recently purchased are getting SATA II Optical ports whilst others who ordered around launch are getting two SATA III ports.

Last edited:

kjjnk

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2011
It seems to be a specific batch/lottery as even those who recently purchased are getting SATA II Optical ports whilst others who ordered around launch are getting two SATA III ports.

I ordered mine the first week of April and got two SATA III ports.

Slipg

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2009
My install of this is frozen for about an hour now. I'm looking at a blue screen with a spinning activity indicator.

:(

My MBP does have an added Intel SSD.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I installed the updates this morning - no issues, other than a VERY un-Mac-like loud beep when the firmware update installed.

Those long beeps always happen when doing a firmware update on Macs. It's one way you know that it's upgrading the firmware. With some Macs, the on light indicator flashes a bunch of time as well. Since iMacs now don't have the on light any more, the beep is the only way to know you're in firmware upgrade mode.

aimhigh

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2009
These updates finally fixed the display issues with my 2011 MacBook Pro that the 10.6.7 update did not. :)

Sadly I am not so fortunate. My 15" MBP with 24" Apple display still flickers and blacks-out. Its getting annoying.

macachia

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2007

i have a 2011 mbp, 2.2ghz

guys did you notice any improvement during the whole boot process and, more in general, any speed increase especially those who have a ssd?
my boot times are waaaaay shorter, whole system's snappier than before (and even before updating it was, duh, FAST). :D:cool:

p.s.: what's your smc version? mine is 1.69f1 but apple support page says it should be 10J4035. :confused:

macbook pro 2011 with updates shows 1.69f1 as well

cheers

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en

officerdick

macrumors regular
May 4, 2006
The update installed perfectly here.

But Apple is yet to address the recurring issue of kernel panics when tethering with an iOS device through USB as detailed in this 10 page thread on Apple's Support forums.

I am still experiencing kernel panics after the update.

Could MacRumors please put some pressure on this issue, widespread reports of malfunctioning machines is sure to get Apple working on a fix, crashing under load is not the new machines only problem.

Zeus86

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2009
New York, NY
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

hopefully this fixes the freezing when waking up from sleep issue. this problem is becoming very annoying!

World Citizen

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

hopefully this fixes the freezing when waking up from sleep issue. this problem is becoming very annoying!

I didn't post it anywhere because i didn't want to flame... but I notice something to.

I don't know the precise problem yet, but sometimes when my mbp '11 goes to sleep while I have attached a "logitech" mouse, it wont come out of it when I move the Logitech mouse... It does wake up with the onboard trackpad, so its not a real problem. But still there's something going on.

I also had a sleep problem without the mouse... It just didnt want to wakeup, and after restart by pressing the power button, everything worked again... weird.

Wombert

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005
Can you please check system profile and see the link speed for the CD/DVD SATA Port?

Even before the update (2011 15" 2.2 GHz):

System Profiler -> Serial ATA -> Intel 6 Series Chipset said:
Intel 6 Series Chipset:

Vendor: Intel
Product: 6 Series Chipset
Link Speed: 6 Gigabit
Negotiated Link Speed: 3 Gigabit
Description: AHCI Version 1.30 Supported

Hitachi HTS725050A9A362:

and

System Profiler -> Serial ATA -> Intel 6 Series Chipset said:
Intel 6 Series Chipset:

Vendor: Intel
Product: 6 Series Chipset
Link Speed: 6 Gigabit
Negotiated Link Speed: 1.5 Gigabit
Description: AHCI Version 1.30 Supported

MATSHITADVD-R UJ-898:

Zeus86

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2009
New York, NY

my problem is when I open the lid the computer freezes for 10-20 seconds

font9a

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2008
Macbook Pro 8,3 has only 1 SATA 6G (3G) port

I am flabbergasted to hear of people getting 2 (TWO!) SATA-6G ports… That would surely make my RAID-0 SSDs run at top capacity. But I seriously doubt software could change the hardware installed. But who knows?

I will note: Overall the system responsiveness with today's pair of updates seems *dramatic*. (not that it was slow before) I've never seen a software update that actually "felt" faster. My XBench scores may have improved 2-3% (from 400 to 415), but the UI really feels snappier. I suppose it's something with Core animation. Also, a very real and noticeable effect has improved: window dragging on the desktop no longer "tears" when I drag side to side quickly.

World Citizen

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011

I am flabbergasted to hear of people getting 2 (TWO!) SATA-6G ports… That would surely make my RAID-0 SSDs run at top capacity. But I seriously doubt software could change the hardware installed. But who knows?

I will note: Overall the system responsiveness with today's pair of updates seems *dramatic*. (not that it was slow before) I've never seen a software update that actually "felt" faster. My XBench scores may have improved 2-3% (from 400 to 415), but the UI really feels snappier. I suppose it's something with Core animation. Also, a very real and noticeable effect has improved: window dragging on the desktop no longer "tears" when I drag side to side quickly.

You should read the changelog... it says.

" Like the update for testing the batterie of our potable devices, we didn't change the screen-drag tear .. we have downgraded your eyes. Isn't it great and magical? It's just that more realistic. We where stunned ourselves You can't perform a rollback.. we didn't like the way you eyes noticed our tear... so you just can't.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Still seeing the same issues as before with 24" ACD, although it doesn't seem to be as bad but will need to give it a few days for a full comparison.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Dang, this was my first thought when I saw this. It's still not out of the realm of the possibility for later I suppose. I can't believe I just bought a $2,000 computer without SATAIII, but it's my only reasonable choice at the moment. Bummer.

Especially puzzling since the intel chipset apple is using DOES include SATA III. I have to wonder if it will get enabled with a firmware update, or even if it is III already but the OS is identifying it wrong.

mulo

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2010
Behind you

so your saying some of the 2011MBPs have SataIII in the optical bay?

Tony1uk

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2011
Still flickering and blacking out

My early 2011 is still blacking out and flickering my 24 inch external monitor. No change or improvement for me...

aimhigh

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2009
Still seeing the same issues as before with 24" ACD, although it doesn't seem to be as bad but will need to give it a few days for a full comparison.

I have now done a safe boot and repaired permissions as recommended, replugged in the 24" display and it does seem better now (less frequent, but definitely not fixed). I was Soooo hoping this fix would resolve the problem. I am wondering if the problem is down to how the plug connects into the MBP socket....

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Especially puzzling since the intel chipset apple is using DOES include SATA III. I have to wonder if it will get enabled with a firmware update, or even if it is III already but the OS is identifying it wrong.

If you're talking about the iMacs they do have SATA III enabled now.

so your saying some of the 2011MBPs have SataIII in the optical bay?

Yup

I ordered mine the first week of April and got two SATA III ports.

m4rk0

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2008
macbook pro 2011 with updates shows 1.69f1 as well

thanks! :)

My install of this is frozen for about an hour now. I'm looking at a blue screen with a spinning activity indicator.

:(

My MBP does have an added Intel SSD.

i am sorry man, i feel your pain. :(
i hope you solved it, did you?

it seems it's not just perception of being faster, my own mbp boots from ssd WAY faster than before, generally speaking it loads everything faster, smoother, cooler. :cool: hooray! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.