Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yozh

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2008
Wireless is not fixed. While Latency on the pings is a bit lower and not so erratic as before. While transferring a file to/from macbook pro you still see issues with packet loss.

odedia

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005

i have a 2011 mbp, 2.2ghz

guys did you notice any improvement during the whole boot process and, more in general, any speed increase especially those who have a ssd?
my boot times are waaaaay shorter, whole system's snappier than before (and even before updating it was, duh, FAST). :D:cool:

p.s.: what's your smc version? mine is 1.69f1 but apple support page says it should be 10J4035. :confused:

Yes, I have noticed it, it is amazing! I don't even get the spinning circle at boot anymore, it just shows the apple logo, then goes straight into the OS. This is insane.

People who are using the TRIM enabler hack should note that this update breaks the hack, so you will need to re-download the TRIM enabler after the update.

I am loving the update. Machine is coooool to the touch.

m4rk0

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2008
Yes, I have noticed it, it is amazing! I don't even get the spinning circle at boot anymore, it just shows the apple logo, then goes straight into the OS. This is insane.
yeah, insane, looool. it is!!

People who are using the TRIM enabler hack should note that this update breaks the hack, so you will need to re-download the TRIM enabler after the update.
thanks for that one, i didn't notice it break it.
i guess i (we) shouldn't erase free space as i had it trim'ed before.
noticed any speed decrease after trimming again?

Last edited:

m4rk0

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2008
It was a typo. It's been corrected.

thanks, but i am not sure where should i see that code; as i wrote, i still have 1.69f1, while boot rom is MBP81.0047.B0E, as per apple support page. (yes, both of the updates installed correctly, they don't show up anymore in software update)

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
^

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-05-06 at ? May 6 ? 12.16.44 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-05-06 at ? May 6 ? 12.16.44 AM.png
    17 KB · Views: 1,056

Furrybeagle

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2004
I have a 2.2 GHz 15”, and as others have said booting is significantly faster. With an OWC Mercury Extreme Pro installed in the optical bay, a full reboot from clicking restart to desktop ready (including typing my password) now takes ~20 seconds. The little spinning animation doesn't even appear during boot now. Mind = blown.

Also solved an issue with my external display (Dell U2410, connected via DVI) not switching to powersave mode when the computer went to sleep. In other words, before the update the backlight would remain on and the display would show all black when the computer went to sleep. Now the display goes to power save mode and turns off the backlight, like it should.

Dang, this was my first thought when I saw this. It's still not out of the realm of the possibility for later I suppose. I can't believe I just bought a $2,000 computer without SATAIII, but it's my only reasonable choice at the moment. Bummer.

There should be one SATA III port and one SATA II port? You’re talking about the MBP, right?

The update installed perfectly here.

But Apple is yet to address the recurring issue of kernel panics when tethering with an iOS device through USB as detailed in this 10 page thread on Apple's Support forums.

I am still experiencing kernel panics after the update.

Could MacRumors please put some pressure on this issue, widespread reports of malfunctioning machines is sure to get Apple working on a fix, crashing under load is not the new machines only problem.

I have had kernel panics when USB tethering w/ a 3GS. Haven’t tried since updating, though.

As for crashing under load, I’ve only experienced one random lockup, but not under load. Compiling and audio conversion (both with 8 threads) have given me no problems. (Knock on wood…)

Wireless is not fixed. While Latency on the pings is a bit lower and not so erratic as before. While transferring a file to/from macbook pro you still see issues with packet loss.

Haven’t noticed this. Is there a thread about it?

radcliff

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2010
Sweden
SATA III Here... not sure what it was before.

Vendor: Intel
Product: 6 Series Chipset
Link Speed: 6 Gigabit
Negotiated Link Speed: 3 Gigabit
Description: AHCI Version 1.30 Supported

Macbook Pro early 2011 15".

radcliff

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2010
Sweden
External display still has issues

I still have issues with external displays.

My Cinema display 27" works good, just as before the upgrade.

My girlfriend's Philips TV still has issues. The flickering seems to be gone, haven't tested for a long period of time though. But the screen still turns "negative", all blue-green-purple once in a while. A change of resolution from 1080p to 1080i and back remedies the problem for another 10 minutes or so.

I am using a mini displayport to HDMI adapter.

FYI: My other computer, a late 2008 aluminium Macbook, work's great with this TV, adapter, and cable.

Anyone else who has experienced "negative", or "inverted" colours? Or am I alone? :-/

sspi

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2011

My girlfriend's Philips TV still has issues. The flickering seems to be gone, haven't tested for a long period of time though. But the screen still turns "negative", all blue-green-purple once in a while. A change of resolution from 1080p to 1080i and back remedies the problem for another 10 minutes or so.

FYI: My other computer, a late 2008 aluminium Macbook, work's great with this TV, adapter, and cable.

Anyone else who has experienced "negative", or "inverted" colours? Or am I alone? :-/

That's exactly my problem from day one. When connected to a sony bravia tv via moshi adapter (miniDP->hdmi) after a while all colors are turned negative! The firmware update didn't solve the issue and i doubt if in the near future it will be solved. It is a widespread problem that was first appeared to the users of apple TV many months ago and guess who's lucky now? Many macbook pro 2011 (13,15,17) have the same issue! I ve tried everything so far (switch cable, adapters, profiles, calibration, nvram reset, clamshell mode, extended, mirrored.....) and nothing has helped

(yes my late 2008 as well was connected to the same tv with the same cable,adapter flawless!)

forgot to mention: it's a macbook pro 13 (2011, i7, 10.6.7)

Last edited:

m4rk0

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2008
That's exactly my problem from day one. When connected to a sony bravia tv via moshi adapter (miniDP->hdmi).....

i didn't know it. is it common to all of 2011 mbp's?
i was going to buy a moshi hdmi adapter 'just in case', but if you say it has some serious issues then i wont.

Mine is:

SMC Version (system): 1.70f3

What does this mean?

honestly? i have no clue, except that your smc's version is supposed to be newer than mine.

sspi

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2011
i didn't know it. is it common to all of 2011 mbp's?
i was going to buy a moshi hdmi adapter 'just in case', but if you say it has some serious issues then i wont.

No it's not the adapter's fault. Bear in mind that apple TV has an embedded hdmi port and the same problem still exists. Probably it is sth with the utilization of the protocol (maybe HDCP is to blame). Yes a lot of people have the same issue and unfortunately the latest firmware hasn't fixed it.

OS X Dude

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
UK
Everything generally feels a bit quicker - including boot - and I'm on the 5400rpm HDD. Waiting for 500GB SSDs to come down to sensible prices!

m4rk0

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2008
No it's not the adapter's fault. Bear in mind that apple TV has an embedded hdmi port and the same problem still exists. Probably it is sth with the utilization of the protocol (maybe HDCP is to blame). Yes a lot of people have the same issue and unfortunately the latest firmware hasn't fixed it.

i see, then i'll pull the trigger on that one soon. thanks. :)

issahar

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2011
That's exactly my problem from day one. When connected to a sony bravia tv via moshi adapter (miniDP->hdmi) after a while all colors are turned negative! The firmware update didn't solve the issue and i doubt if in the near future it will be solved. It is a widespread problem that was first appeared to the users of apple TV many months ago and guess who's lucky now? Many macbook pro 2011 (13,15,17) have the same issue! I ve tried everything so far (switch cable, adapters, profiles, calibration, nvram reset, clamshell mode, extended, mirrored.....) and nothing has helped

That's exactly my problem also. 2011 Macbook pro 13" with Sony Bravia.
Nothing helps...

I'm very disappointed by this mac, and it's my first :(

JeffreyD

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2011
Central CA Coast
To install or not to install

Hoping for a little guidance. My 15" MBP is from April 2010, and is a 2.53 Ghz Intel Core 15. I run a 24" Apple Cinema Display, and have the flickering issue.

Should I install this:
MacBook Pro Software Update 1.4

Version: 1.4
Post Date: May 04, 2011
Download ID: DL1382
File Size: 132.69 MB

THANKS! :D

Pesper

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2011

Hey y'all. I also had the same problem on a 2011 MBP 13" and a Philips TV.

After a lot of testing and changing settings - I realized that it probably is the screen saver (or the auto brightness adjust) that starts the "negative" colors. If your screen saver is set to 10 min - then the colors will go boom after 10 mins. If you set it to 30 mins, it takes 30 mins etc. So set it to infinite or never. Then your problems might go away.
Also worth mentioning is that I also re-selected the automatic screen brightness adjust to ON, and after all these changes I did not receive those negative colors.

Thanks and good luck.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.