Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
CanadaRAM said:
Make sure you call Ford and ask them for a rebate on your 2006 when the 2007 cars come out too. Let us know how that turns out.

;)

Hey this did happen to me, I bought a new 2005 Explorer and 2 weeks later the much improved and redesigned 2006 Explorer came out and no one offered me a rebate! Of course, I bought during the whole Employee Family Plan and I have not seen the same vehicle go as low in price as it did then.

Atlasland

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2005
London, UK
Something that doesn't seem to have been mentioned (unless I missed it).

But the iMac is now very customizable. In particular you can upgrade the VRAM, and 2GB of RAM is very reasonable. So thats very impressive.

Marvy

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2003
Germany
Alright! At first I really was hoping for an Intel iBook, since mine's 5 years old now. But now, seeing these awesome iMacs I've decided to get an iMac 20" and keep my iBook for those few mobile situations, where I don't need power anyway.
Student Appartment Media Center, here I come!!! :D

lucab1982

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2003
London, England
CanadaRAM said:
Make sure you call Ford and ask them for a rebate on your 2006 when the 2007 cars come out too. Let us know how that turns out.

;)

I don't know what US law says but here in the UK we have consumer protection and one nice thing about buying over the web is that you are covered by the distance selling regulation that states you have 14 days after delivery of the product to return it in it's original condition.

Buying from a retail store is a different kettle of fish altogether and depends on the reseller. Also check with your credit car company as you may have a refund protection with them too.

I have an iMac G5 Rev. C and love the machine, I am considering upgrading it almost instantly but am not sure if all my apps would work with it plus I am not sure how the PPC market on ebay will react to it and therefore how much I would get back for it.

rolfdenver

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2005
Denver, Colorado
Planned obsolescence

OK, I bought my rev. B iMac G5 2.0ghz 6 months ago: an eternity in computer time. With the kind of stuff I do, I probably wouldn't even notice the "twice as fast" speed I'd get under the Intel version. Although I admit to processor envy.

But I'd be a little steamed if I'd bought one of the new 2.1ghz iMac G5s with Front Row and iSight that rolled out, what, a whole MONTH ago? Talk about your exponentially increasing improvements in computer performance!

I'm going to surf over to eBay to see what the old iMac G5's are going for now... Ditto with iBooks and PowerBooks.

Qoxiivi

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2005
London, UK
I feel pretty pissed off I have to admit - having only just bought my iMac under a month ago. I was led to believe (by a guy working in the Apple store in London) that the Intel Macs wouldn't be launched for a while yet. Had I known they were coming out in January, I'd have waited.

I'm actually quite f**king cross.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
lucab1982 said:
I don't know what US law says but here in the UK we have consumer protection and one nice thing about buying over the web is that you are covered by the distance selling regulation that states you have 14 days after delivery of the product to return it in it's original condition.

Well most companies usually put a disclamer on everything they make that states, "Specifications are subject to change without notice." So I would think that would cover them if you try to come back and claim that they owe you something.

Different subject: Does this mean 64bit is dead as far as the iMac is concerned? I never really saw an advantage to it on the iMac anyhow it just seems funny that yesterday Apple touted the iMac was the latest 64bit technology and now it is back to 32bit.

lucab1982

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2003
London, England
Qoxiivi said:
I feel pretty pissed off I have to admit - having only just bought my iMac under a month ago. I was led to believe (by a guy working in the Apple store in London) that the Intel Macs wouldn't be launched for a while yet. Had I known they were coming out in January, I'd have waited.

I'm actually quite f**king cross.

His wording has probably saved him his job :D

I too have the iMac G5 w/iSight and can either eBay it and lose money and get an Intel one or keep it. Currently undecided but time is money.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
rolfdenver said:
OK, I bought my rev. B iMac G5 2.0ghz 6 months ago: an eternity in computer time. With the kind of stuff I do, I probably wouldn't even notice the "twice as fast" speed I'd get under the Intel version. Although I admit to processor envy.

But I'd be a little steamed if I'd bought one of the new 2.1ghz iMac G5s with Front Row and iSight that rolled out, what, a whole MONTH ago? Talk about your exponentially increasing improvements in computer performance!

They were announced October 15th, so make that 3 months ago, although it doesn't feel like it. That's still an eternity in computer time.

lucab1982

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2003
London, England
plinden said:
They were announced October 15th, so make that 3 months ago, although it doesn't feel like it. That's still an eternity in computer time.

But not delivered until November and later in some cases making it even less of a time gap.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
jcrewleif said:
Will the new imac and macbookpro be able to run Windows xp?

I don't see what would stop them from running it. I guess we will have to get some of these machines on the ground and see what happens. I know Apple made no mention of it, but I don't think they would do anything to stop Windows XP from booting on the Macs.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Platform said:
2.0Ghz Core Duo = 2x2.1Ghz G5.....=iMac faster than DC 2.0Ghz G5 PM :eek:

Yikes, you're right! Hmm, this makes things interesting then, as Apple will not be going Intel on the PowerMacs until 2007, with Conroe/Woodcrest - so what will they do in the meantime? I guess we'll be seeing a significant speed bump to the dual core G5s by WWDC to compensate, but for now, the iMac appears to be the Mac of choice in terms of power and price point. :cool:

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
Now that the intel imacs are out, has anyone installed windows xp on one and dual booted with OSX?

Apple had stated last year that they would'nt do anything to prevent windows from being installed on one.

Apple Hobo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2004
A series of tubes
I have just joined the official [expletive deleted]-I-just-bought-a-PPC-iMac-12-days-ago! club. I still like my 12-day-old 20" G5. :p I knew MWSF was coming; I rolled the dice and took a chance.

Polcamilla

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2006
We got two new Macs for Christmas--a Quad for us because we'd been holding out for a dual 3.0GHz PPC and when it became obvious that wasn't happening, we decided that we wanted to get the last and buffest PPC to use for Adobe work before Apple transitioned their high-end desktops (Macmac?) because between Apple's Rev A track record and our lack of confidence in running everything through an emulation, no matter how good, we figured it would be a solid choice to do what we need. Our first Mac (well, Spouse had an Apple II-something I think back when he was a dependent on his parents' tax forms) was the last dual-booting G4 and chugged on pleasantly through 3 years of graphics work and desktop publishing, never outpacing the high end of the G5 line but giving the low end a decent run for the money. We don't expect the current machine to be the fastest, bestest thing for very long, but it's a significant improvement on what we had and should hold us nicely while Apple works out all the kinks in their new machines and new strategy.

For MIL, we got an iMac G5. We didn't expect the Intel machines *this* fast, but we *did* want to get the last G5 iMac before they switched to Intel because she's completely addicted to a word game package that launches in Classic (that game accounts for about 50% of her computing use) and we wanted to give her as much of a performance boost as we could manage while still being CERTAIN she could play her word games. Dumb, huh? Anyways, not everyone who just bought a G5 iMac is crying today, though I do feel for those who bought one for non-stupid reasons.

Burai

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2005
No offense to the people who've just found their new G5 iMacs and 15" PowerBooks have suddenly lost a whole layer of sparkle but how can anyone be silly enough to buy ANY Apple hardware and software this close to a Keynote?

It's not like this was a quiet Tuesday announcement that's caught people by surprise. MacWorld San Fran and WWDC are THE events for big announcments. Anyone with a Mac who follows the news and rumour sites knows this.

The golden rule when buying a new Mac: Never, ever, ever, ever buy a new computer in the few months running up to a Stevenote unless someone has a gun to your head. Don't assume, don't trust logic, don't second-guess, don't trust MacRumors buyers guide, don't trust Apple Store employees (they aren't insiders, they are cashiers) and for the love of all that's holy, don't trust ThinkSecret.

And that goes for iPods and software too!

catch07

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2004
Bloomington, IN
gogina said:
I know everyone is aware that 10.4.4 has taken most of it’s ideas from Windows 95, and that soon it will be as good as 98 or even NT - so not too impressive in itself, but at least the new iMac and MacBooks will have a proper processor.

He's from Alaska, I think they are still using Windowz 98 there? Mac OS X is light years ahead of any Microsnooze OS and Microsoft is only working backwards with "astala"Vista or should I say XP SP3.

noahc

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2005
Apple Hobo said:
I have just joined the official [expletive deleted]-I-just-bought-a-PPC-iMac-12-days-ago! club. I still like my 12-day-old 20" G5. :p

Now you guys know how I felt when they updated the iMac Rev C -- for less money and with built-in iSight!

Face it, Apple is good at making us WANT what they have and in the past year they've been doing it even more rapidly. You just have to accept that before you can even get your product out of the box something new and better will be along so just enjoy what you've got. I LOVE my iMac even though it is now a dog compared to the new ones.

Don't forget Apple's history with Rev A products. Lets all just wait for Rev B Intel machines...

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
jeffy.dee-lux said:
okay... so i was about to buy an imac today, telling myself they probably won't update the imac but i should wait just in case. So that was a smart move i guess.

when that happens to me, i call it woman's intuition. i guess that's because i realise, as a guy, i can't have any intuition, so i pretend to be a woman for a second, and make the right decision.
or not.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
just a couple of thoughts

just a couple of thoughts.

1) those that feel burned because you have a new G5 at home and
the new iMac is 2x the speed. don't feel to terribly bad,
the speed will only count for native/universal binaries.
so for "most stuff" at the moment you are actually better off.
(especially if you run pro apps.)

2) Those wondering about other OS (Windows/Linux) bootability.
I imagine it will. though I still feel cautious about saying yes
because while we know Apple said they wouldn't do anything to
prevent it, that doesn't translate to "We will support it"
in other words, do we know about BIOS yet, do we know about other
chipsets / drivers yet. Apple has the responsibility to make the best
experience for Apple / Mac OSX customers, not providing drivers
or even a way to boot other OS's. Example: if they chose not to
use BIOS for whatever reasons in the design,
that's not preventing windows, that's just making the machine (hopefully)
the best possible for Mac OS X. Regardless, I'm sure someone will find a
way either near native speed emulation, or a way to boot it. just a
matter of time

3) Classic support,
I think this was going to be killed off with the new Mactels.
but rest assured, I'm sure someone more clever than I, will be smart enough
to make an emulator for us all to love and enjoy for years to come. :)

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
No, you haven't been burnt.

Your iMac will still run software for years to come. The PPC -> Intel transition isn't going to happen overnight and there are far too many PPC for Apple and other companies to suddenly drop support for.

Enjoy it.

Robert Scheide said:
I've been a Mac user for twenty years. I purchased a G5 iMac 10 days ago, thinking that the iMac wouldn't be updated until June of 2006, as most sources had predicted. Now, today, I go to the Apple website and I'm told that the new Intel iMac is "twice as fast and twice as amazing" and yet priced exactly the same as the PPC-based machine I purchased 10 days ago. Usually, there's a price reduction in such cases, but so far, my calls to Apple and to my Apple reseller (MacConnection) seeking a rebate have been rebuffed. I'm feeling burned, but should I? Some posts have questioned whether Apple's speed claims for the new Intel machines really matter that much. If the higher speed does make a signifcant difference, does anyone know if I have any recourse for seeking a rebate/discount on a brand new machine that the manufacturer now claims is obsolete. Am I just an idiot? Am I the only person feeling this way?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I remember Apple saying somewhere that support for the Classic environment would be dropped altogether on Intel Macs. I'm not sure exactly where, but I'm sure I could find it somewhere on Apple's site if I could be bothered to look :p

GorillaPaws

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
arkmannj said:
just a couple of thoughts.

2) Those wondering about other OS (Windows/Linux) bootability.
I imagine it will. though I still feel cautious about saying yes
because while we know Apple said they wouldn't do anything to
prevent it, that doesn't translate to "We will support it"
in other words, do we know about BIOS yet, do we know about other
chipsets / drivers yet. Apple has the responsibility to make the best
experience for Apple / Mac OSX customers, not providing drivers
or even a way to boot other OS's. Example: if they chose not to
use BIOS for whatever reasons in the design,
that's not preventing windows, that's just making the machine (hopefully)
the best possible for Mac OS X. Regardless, I'm sure someone will find a
way either near native speed emulation, or a way to boot it. just a
matter of time

So assuming this is true (it does seem likely), what would be the implications for pc gaming on an iMac? Would it run like a $2000 pc? or more like the $500 variety? Also, is anyone concerned that Apple will release DVR-type stuff in the Rev. B release that'll make everyone who's buying these things now wish they'd waited? I really want this thing, but these are a couple of sticking points for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.