Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
MacsRgr8 said:
Games?
Was the port from x86 Windows to PPC Mac a simple one? Then I assume the "Universal update" to be ready quite soon.
I have no idea how quickly we can expect the universal binaries of MOHAA, COD, BattleField 1942, Nascar 2003, Doom 3, Halo, UT 2004.....
What about the drivers used for the 3d grfx cards?
Are these the exact same hardware as the x86 PC cards? In the PPC Macs thes cards were "flashed" with some firmware to make it a Mac-only card.

Can we assume that a PC Radeon X1800 XT will be exactly the same card as the ones used in future Intel PowerMacs?

Since it's x86 processors it should be just standard off the shelf video cards. If you run linux on a PC you don't need special video cards.
And there are already ATI and Nvidia drivers so no worries there.

I was actually hoping for much more modern games than what you posted. They used OpenGL on the PPC and will use it on the x86. So I imagine the port would be somewhat easy as it's just x86 games with openGL. So Doom and Quake which use OpenGL and already have versions on x86 would be a simple port. But what do I know.

chibianh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
Colorado
MacsRgr8 said:
Adobe said their CS 3 suite, which will be Universal, would be ready end of 2006 / beginning 2007.
That's a long time.

Games?
Was the port from x86 Windows to PPC Mac a simple one? Then I assume the "Universal update" to be ready quite soon.
I have no idea how quickly we can expect the universal binaries of MOHAA, COD, BattleField 1942, Nascar 2003, Doom 3, Halo, UT 2004.....
What about the drivers used for the 3d grfx cards?
Are these the exact same hardware as the x86 PC cards?
In the PPC Macs these cards were "flashed" with some firmware to make it a Mac-only card.

Can we assume that a PC Radeon X1800 XT will be exactly the same card as the ones used in future Intel PowerMacs?

I'm pretty disappointed that Apple hasn't finished their universal version of the Pro-Apps today!
Apple knew a very long time that the Intel-transition was coming, and knew quite a long time that today would be that "big" day.

Even Apple themsleves were not finished!!!!

I wonder.....

Blizzard has said World of Warcraft is already Universal and in testing. They also said they will release a patch as soon as Macintels ship. I assume most other game devs are the same.

amateurmacfreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2005
Apple Hobo said:
I have just joined the official [expletive deleted]-I-just-bought-a-PPC-iMac-12-days-ago! club. I still like my 12-day-old 20" G5. :p I knew MWSF was coming; I rolled the dice and took a chance.
YAY! I'M A MEMBER TOO! I'M A MEMBER TOO! *runs around room singing, annoyingly, for no particular reason*

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
I was quite surprised by today's announcements and unveilings. I did not at all expect the iMac to be the first Mac to receive the Intel upgrade. The same goes for the PowerBook (now called the MacBook Pro). Since I tend to follow the rumors so closely, I was expecting the Mac mini and/or iBook to get the first upgrade. I'm somewhat disappointed that the Mac mini didn't get the upgrade, but it's eventually going to happen, so it is best just to be patient.

I've officially learned today to NOT listen to rumor sites. They're evil!!!!!! :mad:

shidoshi

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2004
snowmoon said:
Has anyone seen/played 720p/1080i/1080p24 h.264 materal? Can it handle the load? Previously to this only dual processor power macs could handle playback seemlessly.

My 2.0GHz iMac G5 can handle 720p h.264 no sweat, and only really has problems with 1080p h.264 when I try to watch it fullscreen.

amateurmacfreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2005
~Shard~ said:
It is just me, or is the main graphic on the new iMac page not loading off Apple’s site? Not a big deal, but just found that odd... maybe it's cuz I'm at work using IE... :p ;)
Ew. (I'm assuming you on a Windows, pray to God). If your using a Windows machine at least us Firefox.;) Just having some fun.
But no, I love Firefox. Especially better for Windows.

uv23

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2003
Calgary, AB
MacsRgr8 said:
Adobe said their CS 3 suite, which will be Universal, would be ready end of 2006 / beginning 2007.
That's a long time.
Typical Adobe: massive, ponderous, and completely behind the game.:rolleyes:

bjohn

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2005
I hate to say I told you so.....but

Well, I know many of you guys ignore newbies like myself, but the writing has been on the wall for a long time.

Here is what I posted a couple of months ago when I was vastly outnumbered by the so-called 'experts' on this board who felt there was no way Apple would come out with another iMac update so soon. :)

11-12-2005, 08:08 AM #76
bjohn
macrumors newbie

Missing The Point....
As a first generation iMac G5 owner, it is obvious to me the reasoning (other than even more obvious business and marketing ones) as to why iMacs are being chosen as one of the first intel updates- Heat and Noise. There has been a common thread (no pun intended!) throughout the run of the iMacs about heat and noise concerns on Apple's own support site. Now there are some complaints about the new iSight, although there have been major improvements in that area since my first generation model- especially with the new design of Gen. C. Still, since Apple first announced a "whisper quiet" iMac, many people expect near silence- and even the iSights do not deliver to that degree. What better way to reach closer to that goal than new, cooler running intel processors that do not require as much cooling from noisy fans- yet deliver more power?

ccrandall77

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Franklin, WI
This sucks!

I just bought an iMac G5 (17"/1.9GHz/1.5GB/160GB) a couple of months ago!! I didn't think they'd start by updating one of their G5 lines when the G4s need to be replaced badly.

Well, I guess I'll end up selling the iMac I just bought. I love it, but I also need a Windows machine for work... so if the new Mactels can dual-boot I'd like to upgrade.

If anyone is interested in a lightly-used 17" iMac 1.9GHz/160GB that's been upgraded to 1.5GHz for $1100, send me a private message.

amateurmacfreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2005
lucab1982 said:
His wording has probably saved him his job :D

I too have the iMac G5 w/iSight and can either eBay it and lose money and get an Intel one or keep it. Currently undecided but time is money.
stay w/ the iSight PPC one. Join the club. ;) :D

shidoshi

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2004
Robert Scheide said:
I've been a Mac user for twenty years. I purchased a G5 iMac 10 days ago, thinking that the iMac wouldn't be updated until June of 2006, as most sources had predicted.

If you've really been using Macs for 20 years, then you really should know by now to never buy ANYTHING before a big Apple show. Every single show has always consisted of things people said would be coming out not coming out, and things nobody knew were coming out coming out. And even if there's a 99% chance that the product you want won't be updated, you still don't take that 1% chance by buying a product so close to such a major Apple event.

amateurmacfreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2005
Stella said:
No, you haven't been burnt.

Your iMac will still run software for years to come. The PPC -> Intel transition isn't going to happen overnight and there are far too many PPC for Apple and other companies to suddenly drop support for.

Enjoy it.
Thank you. That was such a nice post for us that bought an iMac 2 weeks ago. :D

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL
Apple Hobo said:
I have just joined the official [expletive deleted]-I-just-bought-a-PPC-iMac-12-days-ago! club. I still like my 12-day-old 20" G5. :p I knew MWSF was coming; I rolled the dice and took a chance.

You do realize that you have 15 days to return the computer, don't you? Pay the 10% restocking fee and you can just swap it for the new Intel iMac.

I bought mine 9 days ago and considered doing the swap, but to hell with it, I love my iMac even if Steve just spat on it.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
chibianh said:
Blizzard has said World of Warcraft is already Universal and in testing. They also said they will release a patch as soon as Macintels ship. I assume most other game devs are the same.

That is excellent news!

amateurmacfreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2005
chicagdan said:
You do realize that you have 15 days to return the computer, don't you? Pay the 10% restocking fee and you can just swap it for the new Intel iMac.

I bought mine 9 days ago and considered doing the swap, but to hell with it, I love my iMac even if Steve just spat on it.
Haha, agreed. But I think it was 16 days for me...:p No, seriously.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
bjohn said:
Here is what I posted a couple of months ago when I was vastly outnumbered by the so-called 'experts' on this board <snip>...What better way to reach closer to that goal than new, cooler running intel processors that do not require as much cooling from noisy fans- yet deliver more power?
It was pretty much known Apple was switching to Intel chips because of heat and noise.. not sure what you're trying to say other than stating the obvious.

It was just a matter of when.

Here's to the Crazy Ones

~Shard~ said:
Yikes, you're right! Hmm, this makes things interesting then, as Apple will not be going Intel on the PowerMacs until 2007, with Conroe/Woodcrest - so what will they do in the meantime? I guess we'll be seeing a significant speed bump to the dual core G5s by WWDC to compensate, but for now, the iMac appears to be the Mac of choice in terms of power and price point. :cool:

with a little asterisk next to it. new imac is only as fast as powermac on universal binary software. Which, um, doesn't exist on anything where you'd notice the speed difference. powermac users would NOT want intel because of this, even if it were 8x speed on native apps.

clcnyc

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
NYC
Now I'm pissed

I just bought my "brand new" fabulous iMac G5 20" in November, loaded it up with lots o'RAM, and thought I had it made. Now this. Anyone want a barely used iMac?:rolleyes:

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
archer75 said:
I was actually hoping for much more modern games than what you posted. They used OpenGL on the PPC and will use it on the x86. So I imagine the port would be somewhat easy as it's just x86 games with openGL. So Doom and Quake which use OpenGL and already have versions on x86 would be a simple port. But what do I know.

I was referring to PPC Mac OpenGL games that were pretty popular.
I hope that porting COD "back" to x86 is easy enough, that it can be done without having to charge the upgrader.

OpenGL games which run on Winx86 (Quake 4), will probably be easier to port to x86Mac, than to PPCMac, but what will Aspyr do? Make it universal? I have no idea...

The (many, many, many) many DirectX x86Windows games out there will still be a problem. Proably time and effort-consuming enough for it to make it profitable to make the game universal binary anyway.....

Games using Havok engine (the beautiful Half Life 2) wil probably never see a true Mac port (x86, PPC or universal). Maybe the IntelMacs are capable of dual-Boot, and load all the Windows drivers necessary for those games to run full speed...

It could be possible that in the (near) future the newest games are x86Mac only.
Think about the UT 2007 engine.... Would it be worth making a PPC port of that one?

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
The x86 iMac came as a total surprise. No one even saw it coming. I had to ask myself that this was the shortest rev from a c to a d. Or is it considered a rev A. :confused:

Don't think I will be upgrading anytime soon, unless they offer a 23" or higher screen size. :)

bjohn

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2005
Clarification

Lacero wrote--

It was pretty much known Apple was switching to Intel chips because of heat and noise.. not sure what you're trying to say other than stating the obvious.

It was just a matter of when.

The point is and was WHEN. That is what the debate centered around a couple of months ago-- and hence the reasoning behind making the iMac one of the first intel processor users. Many at the time felt January of 06' was way to early for an iMac update, but the heat and noise issues, along with even more compelling business and marketing ones made the iMac an obvious choice to be among the first intel Macs.

amateurmacfreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2005
maya said:
The x86 iMac came as a total surprise. No one even saw it coming. I had to ask myself that this was the shortest rev from a c to a d. Or is it considered a rev A. :confused:

Don't think I will be upgrading anytime soon, unless they offer a 23" or higher screen size. :)
I'd say Rev.A. It's not a G5 anymore, so.... just iMac now. Not iMac G5

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.