Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

St. Germain

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2006
I just downloaded the update, it told me something failed and I need to restore my iPhone. I am on try 3 and it is still failing every time it tries to restore. It's giving me error code 1013. I would stay away from this update for at least a day or two until others give feedback. It doesn't seem to be that critical of an update anyways.

Warning Note: This will result in your iPhone 4 baseband being upgraded to the latest version.

How to Fix Error Code 1013:

Mac OS X:

Step 1. On your Mac, go to your “Applications” folder.
Step 2. Now navigate to the “Utilities” folder.
Step 3. Launch "Terminal".
Step 4. Type "sudo nano /etc/hosts" (without quotes) and hit return.
Step 5. Enter your password
Step 6. Use the down arrow key to find the “gs.apple.com” entries. Once the cursor is in front, make sure you comment out the line(s) by entering “#” in front of the text.
Step 7. Save the file by pressing CONTROL+O.
Step 8. Exit the nano editor by pressing CONTROL+X.
Step 9. Restore your iDevice.

Windows:

Step 1. Start –> Programs –> Accessories
Step 2. Run Notepad or WordPad
Step 3. Click “Open..” from File menu.
Step 4. Browse to Windows/System32/drivers/etc
Step 5. In "files of type:" select all documents
Step 6. Open "hosts"
Step 7. Delete all line that has "gs.apple.com" or something like that
Step 8. Hit Save
Step 9. Restore your device

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
650 MB download to update my 4G iPod touch.

607 MB download to update my iPad 2.

THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE, in my humble opinion.
negative.gif

I agree, I really hope iOS 5 introduces wireless incremental updates. I shouldn't have to connect my iPhone to my computer to install a small .x update.

rsocal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2008
Southern Ca
I agree, I really hope iOS 5 introduces wireless incremental updates. I shouldn't have to connect my iPhone to my computer to install a small .x update.

Come people, it's not really a big deal and I have to do 4 iPhones and 2 iPads every time there's an update. I'm just glad they do updates when needed and they're free!:cool:

jegbook

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2007
to answer my own question in my initial tests it seems the sticky/stuck slide to unlock button issue that I and a few other people on the apple forums were experiencing has been addressed.

I would agree!

I have noticed the sticky unlock slide but just figured my phone was cranking on some calculation and didn't have time to respond to the unlock slide. Didn't occur to me that it might just be the slide itself that was unresponsive.

Overall 4.3.1 really feels more responsive in general, all over the place. Maybe it is a CPU usage thing, which could explain the decreased battery life of iOS 4.3. Responsiveness of 4.3 seemed to lag a little bit at times, but, in the few hours of 4.3.1 so far, no UI lag and nice and quick. Dig it.

jegbook

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2007
650 MB download to update my 4G iPod touch.

607 MB download to update my iPad 2.

THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE, in my humble opinion.
negative.gif

Why can't Apple design their updates so you no longer need to essentially download the whole iOS code? Even Microsoft in their Service Packs for Windows XP/Vista/7 "polls" the system to determine the actual Service Pack download size, so in many cases the download is actually quite small. Of course, I'd like to see Apple allow for incremental updates like how Google does it with the Chrome web browser--done in the background and unobtrusively.

Well, currently Windows Phone 7 hasn't had much success in its updates at all, so though bulky, the iOS updates seem to work pretty darn well in general.

And most Android phones don't get any updates.

Not saying that the iPhone is paradise, but it does a lot more right than it does wrong, I think.

Cheers.

justinLONG

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2011
i been having issues with my iPod showing distortion on the screen. if this update isn't the fix......... "hello apple, fix my iPod"

barkingDog

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2010
What's interesting about it?

Seeing that the file size is ~666MB for the iP4, I'm speculating the comment's related to the fact that the Apple I was sold for $666 back in the day.

(Or -- gasp -- could it be that whole 666/Biblical interpretation thing?) :eek:

It's a moot point anyway: 666MB ~= 700,000,000 bytes, give or take a MB.

Nonetheless, I agree: interesting? Meh.

Ieo

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
Warning Note: This will result in your iPhone 4 baseband being upgraded to the latest version.

How to Fix Error Code 1013:

Mac OS X:

Step 1. On your Mac, go to your “Applications” folder.
Step 2. Now navigate to the “Utilities” folder.
Step 3. Launch "Terminal".
Step 4. Type "sudo nano /etc/hosts" (without quotes) and hit return.
Step 5. Enter your password
Step 6. Use the down arrow key to find the “gs.apple.com” entries. Once the cursor is in front, make sure you comment out the line(s) by entering “#” in front of the text.
Step 7. Save the file by pressing CONTROL+O.
Step 8. Exit the nano editor by pressing CONTROL+X.
Step 9. Restore your iDevice.

Windows:

Step 1. Start –> Programs –> Accessories
Step 2. Run Notepad or WordPad
Step 3. Click “Open..” from File menu.
Step 4. Browse to Windows/System32/drivers/etc
Step 5. In "files of type:" select all documents
Step 6. Open "hosts"
Step 7. Delete all line that has "gs.apple.com" or something like that
Step 8. Hit Save
Step 9. Restore your device

Just wanted to say this fixed my code 1013.

Sooo glad that worked and I didn't need to hunt around for a phone I can borrow for an hour+ to call apple. Sure I could borrow a friend's phone, but not for the length of time needed to get the job done. Most likely I would have had to sweet talk a professor into letting me us their office phone (on a weekend...yeah right) or drive 40 minutes to my parents' house.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
Yes, it does.

For whom doesn't understand what we are talkin' about: There is a way to enable 4~5 fingers gesture function which is allowed only for developers. Purchase Xcode($4.99) from Mac App Store, install it, connect the iPad to the USB port and Xcode will recognize your iPad and there is a button asks you to use this iPad for development purpose. Click it and it will ask your developer ID but you can simply click cancel, it will anyway continue the procedure to enable the function. After that, go to the preference - general on you iPad, you will get to see the option for the 4~5 fingers gesture. I personally think, it is worth more than $5.

I agree, the four-finger gestures really enhance the user experience of the iPad. You don't have to buy xcode 4 though. I enabled it using xcode 3, which is completely free.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

im really glad with this update!

in my route from the office to home, usually i would see at least 3 times the 3G switching to gprs for about half to 1 minutes while riding on car before it will switch back again to 3G.

this time with 4.3.1, on the exact same route from office back to my home, the 3G is constant and never switched to gprs anymore!

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
419.9MB for me with 16GB 3Gs.

Different builds depending on device? Someone with multiple devices might be able to confirm that (if they have to download different builds, or possibly, if your iTunes manages multiple devices, that accounts for bigger downloads that accommodate multiple devices instead of just one).

All devices have different versions of the software - the iPhone 4 software file is bigger than that of the 3GS, for example, because the iPhone 4 has FaceTime, extra ringtones, high-resolution icons for the retina display, etc. In turn, the filesize for the 3GS software is bigger than that of the 3G because, for example, it has the Compass app.

This site has a run down of ALL the different versions of the software for every single iDevice, which links to the software directly on Apple's server (the exact same place iTunes downloads them from):

http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
I can confirm, at least on the 3GS, there is no change to battery life with this update.

Before the update I would lose 28-32% battery life in a 12 hours period in sleep mode, no apps running in the background.

After last nights download and exactly 12 hours later, in sleep mode with no apps running in the background, I'm at 29% battery loss.

Last edited by a moderator:

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Yes, it does.

For whom doesn't understand what we are talkin' about: There is a way to enable 4~5 fingers gesture function which is allowed only for developers. Purchase Xcode($4.99) from Mac App Store, install it, connect the iPad to the USB port and Xcode will recognize your iPad and there is a button asks you to use this iPad for development purpose. Click it and it will ask your developer ID but you can simply click cancel, it will anyway continue the procedure to enable the function. After that, go to the preference - general on you iPad, you will get to see the option for the 4~5 fingers gesture. I personally think, it is worth more than $5.

Actually, some people say it works with Xcode 3. From what I gather, for iPad 1, you can use the oldest Xcode that recognizes it, and for iPad 2, you need Xcode 4. I have not tested this, but will test it on Xcode 3.2.6 with an iPad 1 soon.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Actually, some people say it works with Xcode 3. From what I gather, for iPad 1, you can use the oldest Xcode that recognizes it, and for iPad 2, you need Xcode 4. I have not tested this, but will test it on Xcode 3.2.6 with an iPad 1 soon.
No. I turned on the multitasking gestures on my iPad 2 by Xcode 3 + iOS SDK!

/user/me

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
So i'm not one for superstition ad all that, but it's 666mb... I'm a bit concerned as to what it's going to do when i connect it to GReg

Nate025

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2008
Hopefully it fixes some abstract feature which irritates me enough to post this, followed by many fullstops to stress my irritation..........

tungstentim

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2007
My battery life issue was fixed by turning off the failed music social network PING in the restrictions settings. Once I did that, I get at least 48-72 hours standby if not more and hours of usage and the battery barely budges. It should be turned OFF by default, can anyone with 4.3.1 confirm that PING is in the OFF position at startup?

Unfortunately it isn't. You'd have to turn it off. If you've already turned it off the OS upgrade should keep your existing settings unless you're doing a clean install.
Tim

UpQuark

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2002
Zushi, Japan
I have a 3GS and my update size was 419MB

I did the ol' update and the 'pull down' was only 419.. I missed the 666 rush, damn it! :)

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-03-26 at 5.35.19 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-03-26 at 5.35.19 PM.png
    14 KB · Views: 61

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
Thats no true.

Apple just a few days ago released Mac OS X 10.6.7 and was only 475MB, and the Combo update was only 1.12GB. Mac OS X 10.6.6 brought the Mac App Store and was only 143MB.

I don't know why your updates are 4GB.

Mac OS X 10.6.6
https://www.macrumors.com/2011/01/06/apple-releases-mac-os-x-10-6-6-and-launches-mac-app-store/

Mac OS X 10.6.7
https://www.macrumors.com/2011/03/21/apple-releases-mac-os-x-10-6-7/

How about reading the post, I said APPLICATION:

on the Mac one is told to re-download a 4GB application for a few piddly updates in much the same way one is forced to re-download the whole operating system.

Meaning, the latest XCode update (4.0.1) that requires the person to download the WHOLE application AGAIN as to get the update for the said application. READ and DIGEST peoples posts before making replies that don't even address what the poster is saying. Last time I checked, an update for Mac OS X is not, never has and never will be classified as an application.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.