Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
Been getting server unavailable warnings for nigh on 10 hours now, for both the iPad and iPhone.

I'm wondering now if it's not me, since I don't see anybody else has mentioned it.

behrmon

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2008
Hmmmm

Go figure, I did not expect any battery drainage change but so far my battery usage seems much improved w/ the update?? :confused:

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
Been getting server unavailable warnings for nigh on 10 hours now, for both the iPad and iPhone.

I'm wondering now if it's not me, since I don't see anybody else has mentioned it.
:-/ It was me. I forgot that this machine was pointing to Saurik's server instead of Apple.

Go figure, I did not expect any battery drainage change but so far my battery usage seems much improved w/ the update?? :confused:
I'll be looking forward to that. I didn't really have a problem with 4.3, but more battery is always good.

gforce216

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
They still haven't fixed the folders glitch involving the discolored arrows when opening and closing. It's plagued the iPad since 4.2 and the iPad 2.

SidewaysTakumi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
Texas
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Just wanted to report my findings...

With 4.3 I was having significant battery drain while the phone was asleep.

I upgraded to 4.3.1 and deleted the last few apps I downloaded (amazon, contract killer). I also disabled game center and ping.

Last night at 10:05pm I noted my battery life at 72% and went to sleep.

I awoke at 9:42am and found my battery life at 68%. A much better drain than before Seems like things are back to normal and just wanted to report what I did.

mtrctyjoe

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2005
Motor City (Detroit, not Tokyo)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Wow ... My wifi is screaming fast and YouTube works on my iPhone 4 - FINALLY!

My wifi speeds have been horrific on my iPhone 4 and the you tube app barely functioned! Not any more!!

behrmon

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2008

I spoke to soon, 4 hours off the charger and 2 very brief calls later I'm at 76%. This was never the case for me prior to 4.3. I'm disappointed.

ccf

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2011
I wished I had tested it before the newest download, but I'm real happy with my iPhone 4's battery life right now. I took it off the charger yesterday afternoon around 1:20 & it's now almost 5:15pm (the next day). That's nearly 28 hours & I'm at 88%.

I haven't really used the phone so it's virtually all in sleep mode. I have 3G going & mail fetched every hour. Everything else is pretty much off.

I'm going to test again soon with more stuff on (like maybe Location Services, Notifications, etc.) & see how much battery life I get. Anyway, it seems like losing just 12% over a 28-hour timespan is pretty good, though.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Updating tonight and it is still downloading...10 hours to go...:eek:

I have an internet service of 25 Mbps.

Is everyone downloading it today?

rich2000

macrumors member
May 18, 2009
I agree, I really hope iOS 5 introduces wireless incremental updates. I shouldn't have to connect my iPhone to my computer to install a small .x update.

Did you see the post earlier that explained the reason for this. 1.1.1 was an incremental update but because some jailbreakers are patching iOS directly, it can cause the official iOS patches to collide with jailbreak patches causing a device to become bricked.

By restoring the entire OS over the top it can get rid of any unauthorised code that Apple hasn't tested for so the phone works as it was intended on upgrade.

Basically you can blame the jailbreakers for it (I don't jailbreak but at the same time I don't really care if people jailbreak either just I can understand Apple wanting to remove jailbreak code on an update because they didn't code it so they don't know how it'll react)

mario.jr

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2010
This is by far the best IOS ever, fast .. very fast e very economic also for Iphone 4

So far the best smartphone + the best SO (for smartphone) Ive ever used.
1h,15min of usage + 14h,44min standby in 80% of battery. :D

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8F190)

rich2000 said:
I agree, I really hope iOS 5 introduces wireless incremental updates. I shouldn't have to connect my iPhone to my computer to install a small .x update.

Did you see the post earlier that explained the reason for this. 1.1.1 was an incremental update but because some jailbreakers are patching iOS directly, it can cause the official iOS patches to collide with jailbreak patches causing a device to become bricked.

By restoring the entire OS over the top it can get rid of any unauthorised code that Apple hasn't tested for so the phone works as it was intended on upgrade.

Basically you can blame the jailbreakers for it (I don't jailbreak but at the same time I don't really care if people jailbreak either just I can understand Apple wanting to remove jailbreak code on an update because they didn't code it so they don't know how it'll react)

Not sure if I buy that reasoning. Does Apple care if jailbroken phones can get bricked?

In any case, the OS can tell if it's been jailbroken. Apple could simply disable incremental updates if it detects the jailbreak.

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
Not sure if I buy that reasoning. Does Apple care if jailbroken phones can get bricked?
What they'd probably care about is the time that 1/2 a dozen employees spend trying to un-brick a phone before the owner admits that it had been jailbroken, and the price of replacing a recently purchased phone for no good reason.

:)

jegbook

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2007
What they'd probably care about is the time that 1/2 a dozen employees spend trying to un-brick a phone before the owner admits that it had been jailbroken, and the price of replacing a recently purchased phone for no good reason.

:)

+1
(or maybe +50... ;) )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.