Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
Excellent perfroamnce on the 3GS. Unbelievable that a 600 MHz processor can run iOs 5 so smoothly. Reminiscent of Tiger running perfectly on G4s with 500 MHz.

nOw2

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2009
I started a thread some time back trying to figure it out and we discovered it was basically just the 4S on AT&T that lacked it. Very very strange, and horrible for me personally. :(

No, my 4S on 'Three' in the UK does not have the option and it makes sense for them to enforce that. Three owns no 2G infrastructure and rents space on other company's base stations to provide coverage in areas lacking 3G, which costs them.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
I assume they still haven't fixed the worsening text selection (just try to select blank lines or non-alphanumeric characters in Mail since iOS 5.1) nor the bug that obnoxiously & seemingly permanently breaks "Reset Keyboard Dictionary" for a bunch of users each time there's a major OS upgrade (probably permissions get screwed up or something between major OS versions).

Haven't experienced the hurt you're frustrated about even once.

k1121j

Suspended
Mar 28, 2009
New Hampshire
maby u updated apps in the process

I just updated to 5.1.1 and noticed my capacity go down by about 300MB (from 24.4GB to 24.1GB) on my 64GB iPhone 4S. I used iTunes to update instead of OTA. Had I used OTA, would the decrease in capacity be less?

maby u updated apps in the process especially if the apps that updated included retna support

Shasterball

Suspended
Oct 19, 2007
I am pretty sure they do eventually. My iPhone 4S and iPad 3 it didn't tell me 5.1.1 was available, but I think if we waited long enough it would have. iOS did tell me about a previous 5.x update on one of my iDevices in the past. It could be that the devices are only set to check for new updates periodically on their own and at least mine didn't get the chance to check before I forced it to check. They may even stagger the notifications so that everyone doesn't jump on the update at once.

Oh. Maybe I am impatient. Or I am on MacRumors too much and find out about updates before my phone does!!! :)

hindmost

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2009
I am hoping the toggle for turning off 3G is available on the 4S for AT&T. Still don't know why its not.

Probably NOT available as the phone would have to be changed to toggle both 3G and 4G connects. I live in an area (Research Triangle, NC) where I constantly get a '4G' AT&T connect and such is displayed on my iPhone 4S.

imac abuser

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2004
iPhone still will not complete step 8 in itunes with the new update. My iPad 3 however will.

Chris

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
Not really a ground breaking update in my eyes. Having a iphone 4, see nothing that stands out in this update.............guess we're waiting for iOS 6

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
Has anybody tried playing a video via Airplay to an Apple TV yet?

Is it still broken (i.e. spends a good deal of time buffering and then choppy playback)?

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
I assume they still haven't fixed the worsening text selection (just try to select blank lines or non-alphanumeric characters in Mail since iOS 5.1)

That annoys me too.

I filed a bug report, but it hasn't moved anywhere.

I even crafted a few example text files to demonstrate it.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Has anybody tried playing a video via Airplay to an Apple TV yet?

Is it still broken (i.e. spends a good deal of time buffering and then choppy playback)?

Worked great for me. Watched The Bourne Ultimatum in HD last night from my iPad to my :apple:TV. No issues, scanning back and forward also worked as expected.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Yes. I don't see why anyone would use the clunky Android OS.

The reason I use it is because I can get monthly rates that are about half of the cheapest option for iPhone. Once it's available on all carriers in the USA and plans get more competitive I'd consider it.

gwelmarten

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2011
England!
If you mean did they close security vulnerabilities that may or may not be used for JB, I hope so.

Hmm - 3 negatives for my post and 3 positives for yours. I thought more people on here liked to jailbreak their devices!
I don't like people jail breaking to change the Apple UI, as I like that - very well thought out.
BUT
As a developer, being able to access my device via SSH is unbelievable useful. It is a tool, which without, my company's development budget would have to be much higher. We write only iOS apps, so in this situation, you can not argue that Jailbreaking for this purpose is bad. In any way.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
I think you have your terminology mixed up. Bloat is a condition caused by excessive un-needed code. iOS software is increasing in size due to the huge increase in features, not useless code.

Apple is far from the long gone days when some software providers paid their coders a bonus for each line of code they created that made it into released software. When they saw the bloat that it caused, things changed.

You can be sure Apple does all it can to minimize code.

You just reminded me of this:

Folklore.org: Macintosh Stories: -2000 Lines Of Code

:D:D:D

----------

Didn't Android have OTA updates first?

Actually, the Nokia 8110 had it before.

EgyptoKnuckles

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2008
Roseville, MN
Anyone still getting this error below even after installing the update? I updated to 5.1.1 last night and was trying to complete a purchase and still got that error.

*Fixes an issue where 'Unable to purchase' alert could be displayed after successful purchase

canman4PM

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
Kelowna BC
I owned 2 previous iPads, 4 iPhones in total, a Macbook Pro, a MacBook Air and an iMac and DID NOT have ANY problems with WiFi. I use the latest Airport Extreme and am no idiot when it comes to networks. But if you are having no problems, I guess it must be in my head!

Could be the Airport? They're ususally extremely reliable, but mine went south about a year ago. It would only work with one device at a time and would not switch devices if that working device was off or out of the house, unless the Airport was re-booted. I gave up on it and never got it fixed as my ISP hardware now includes a wifi transmitter. Not as good or reliable as my Airport was but I don't have to pay to fix it.

Just a thought.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
Maybe it's because the iPhone 4S has Siri, and Siri would work like crap over anything less than 3G, thus ruining the seamless user experience Apple is going for.

Just my hypothesis. :)

You might be on to something here...

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
Not really a ground breaking update in my eyes. Having a iphone 4, see nothing that stands out in this update.............guess we're waiting for iOS 6

That's not the point of a .1.1 update. Those are usually .1 ... :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.