Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

canman4PM

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
Kelowna BC
Anyone else notice the Facebook app no longer works...just says after a while Connection Error. This is on both my iPad 3 and iPhone 4. I deleted and reinstalled the app on the iPad but it made no difference.

I'm still good. It's still a crappy app, but it works.

canman4PM

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
Kelowna BC
Not every one jailbreaks, or wants to. I'm quite happy with stock firmware. Not going to jeopardize security or stability for a few tweaks - and yes I like SBSettings and have used it on jailbroken devices in the past.

In fact I will bet vital parts of my anatomy that the vast majority of owners do NOT jailbreak.

naples98

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2008
Houston
Unable to Install Update

I'm getting an error message when trying to install the iOS 5.1.1 update on my iPhone 4.

Anyone else getting the "An error occurred installing iOS 5.1.1."? :confused:

Edit: I'm trying to install OTA. Will try from iTunes later.

Last edited:

canman4PM

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
Kelowna BC
I have wifi issues with my iPad 2. I can have my iPhone, Macbook and iPad all in the same place and the iPad has less bars and loads pages considerably slower. Pick up my phone and it's fast and so is my Macbook. I think it's definitely a iPad problem.

Or it could be a problem with your iPad. Some people obviously, from this thread and others, have problems and most don't. Given your situation, it looks like your iPad and not your Wifi is the problem. I could be that your specific iPad has an issue. It may not be software related. You may have a defective Wifi transeiver or one of a thousand other hardware related issues affecting your Wifi reception.

No matter how well built a product is, there will be issues with individual units that do not affect its bretheren. This is why things have warranities. I'd take yours back, if it's still under warranty.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
The reason I use it is because I can get monthly rates that are about half of the cheapest option for iPhone. Once it's available on all carriers in the USA and plans get more competitive I'd consider it.

It's not worth it. The iPhone costs less to own if you factor in the selling price after 2 years of use (once the contract has expired).

canman4PM

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
Kelowna BC
Didn't Android have OTA updates first?

I don't think gjac0m is referring entirely to the OTA thing. I think gjac0m is referring to the whole update experience. From how, how often, OTA, the relative universality of it - relative lack of fragmentation, etc.

At least that's how I read it.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
It's not worth it. The iPhone costs less to own if you factor in the selling price after 2 years of use (once the contract has expired).

You're telling me what's worth it to me? Who exactly do you think you are?

And you're dead wrong. Even if I were able to sell the phone for what I paid for it, costing me nothing for the phone, I'd still have spent vastly more on the monthly service.

In my case I bought a phone outright, no contract - even paying full price for the phone I came out ahead of what I would have spent on iPhone after three or four months.

b-dogg

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2009
You're telling me what's worth it to me? Who exactly do you think you are?

And you're dead wrong. Even if I were able to sell the phone for what I paid for it, costing me nothing for the phone, I'd still have spent vastly more on the monthly service.

In my case I bought a phone outright, no contract - even paying full price for the phone I came out ahead of what I would have spent on iPhone after three or four months.

With you on this one. I've been buying my iPhones unlocked for the past few generations and then shopping around for the best SIM deal then for it on a rolling monthly contract. The iPhone plans where you're locked in for 18-24mths are usually a rip off and if you loose the phone you've still to pay out the contract.

I'm getting 15gb data and unlimited calls texts on my iPhone 4s at the moment for €54/m. I never get any bills bigger than this and if a new model comes out I can sell the unlocked phone on eBay and thow €100-150 to upgrade to the new model.

People will drop €299-399 on an iPod touch but refuse to spend an extra €100 on an iPhone. Can't get my head around it.

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
Excellent perfroamnce on the 3GS. Unbelievable that a 600 MHz processor can run iOs 5 so smoothly. Reminiscent of Tiger running perfectly on G4s with 500 MHz.

Definitely true... my 3GS is butter smooth after installing 5.1.1 OTA delta update. Far faster than 5.1 which somehow broke the fluidity of 5.0.

Incredible to see that kind of performance. Actually I compared to my GF's iPhone 4 running 5.1. Performance is on par (talking about opening application, tinkering with settings submenus and toggling/untoggling options).

I guess this 3GS is going to live thru september at least on a €19,99/mo unlimited, contract-free plan... Then... time for a replacement probably.

----------

I've noticed iOS devices always feel faster right after an update.

I have a theory: There is cache information that piles up and is cleared during an update. Once these caches get too big the OS slows down.

Is this true, and is there any way to clear/reset these caches outside an update if so? The performance difference after installing 5.1.1 is significant and I'd love to be able to gain this any time.

Yeah, I think so.
Maybe restoring could do the trick ? Never tried it since it takes so much time...

blacktape242

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2010
Sacramento, CA
My ATV3 downloads faster the the 2. When was the last time you rebooted your network from end to end? I do it once a month, and it seems to keep everything running very well.
1. Shut down (and unplug) ALL devices.
2. Plug in and boot your cable modem, allow time for a full boot.
3. Plug in your Airport devices one at a time, starting from your
cable modem connection, and allow full boot before starting
the next.
4. Plug in and turn on your hubs and other devices.
5. Launch iTunes on your computer and make sure Sharing is on.
6. Plug in your Apple TV3.

I have tried EVERYTHING and it still is horrible! I have given up, its a pitty really. :(

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010
I've noticed iOS devices always feel faster right after an update.

I have a theory: There is cache information that piles up and is cleared during an update. Once these caches get too big the OS slows down.

Is this true, and is there any way to clear/reset these caches outside an update if so? The performance difference after installing 5.1.1 is significant and I'd love to be able to gain this any time.

My 4th gen Touch is strikingly faster after installing 5.1.1. I don't use many apps; lately, it's just been Music, iBooks, Remote, Safari, CNBC, and Tapatalk. In particular, iBooks has been taking 20 sec to open and restore my place, and I would find it this way after going through one or more of the other apps I use, and also in the morning, after having the Touch stream to my ATV the night before. Now it's opening instantly to my last reading place no matter what I do. I had tried resetting the Touch, closing all the apps in the multitasking bar, powering down and up, and so forth, but nothing helped.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
While I didn't have any of the issues listed in the bug fixes, I do notice that iMessage works much smoother now and there's no more lag when a message comes in before the banner notification pops up. :)

Rocketman

macrumors 603
My 4th gen Touch is strikingly faster after installing 5.1.1.

Now it's opening instantly to my last reading place no matter what I do.
Sue just like the iPod class action folks! Writing software updates indicates a vast conspiracy! :(

It is interesting about the recent speculation on optimizations not previously "deployed". The claim there is a memory reallocation in the new iOS to reduce the OS overhead and leave more net memory for apps.

This claim cache is being pared down whether in total or to a "measured degree".

It seems they are past the emergency updates and are now focusing on hardware optimizations and resource optimizations. This and the recent die shrink will bode well for the next THREE YEARS of device releases.

Rocketman

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
I don't think this was there prior to 5.1.1, but I just noticed on my iPad that search engines Yahoo, Google and Bing were added to my Safari bookmarks on my iPad. I noticed it was new because now I have 2 bookmarks for Yahoo and Google, and 1 for Bing.

I would have never added Bing, so perhaps the update did?

hassiman

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2006
San Diego
This latest update seems to have increased battery drain!!

Seems kike this latest IOS update has decreased my iPhone 4s battery life....:eek:

Knew I should have waited.....:mad:

Woogs138

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2012
Anyone else experiencing problems with AirPlay on this new version? The airplay button seems to have disappeared. This is consistent with YouTube, pandora, Sirius apps. Also, when I switch from Sirius to Facebook, sirius playback stops. These problems are consistent with the new iPad and my 3GS. Thanks in advance!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.