Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ewoodpro

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2010
Second Dock Connector

I'd really like to see a second dock connector along the side of the device. This would be great for when you want to dock the device in landscape orientation for certain tasks like watching movies. Also, it would be great to be able to use dock connector peripherals like the iPad Camera Connector while the iPad is docked.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
I'd really like to see a second dock connector along the side of the device. This would be great for when you want to dock the device in landscape orientation for certain tasks like watching movies. Also, it would be great to be able to use dock connector peripherals like the iPad Camera Connector while the iPad is docked.

You can plug accessories into the back of the iPad dock (including the camera connection kit) while the iPad is docked into it, so no need to worry about that. It does seem you would have to use it from battery power while doing so.

As for docking on the side, yes that might be nice. Maybe a clever third party will have a "sideways dock" solution for powered movie watching...

kzin

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2005
Interesting comment. But, lacks some important insight.

1) It lacks HD video output (display port, direct, or at least via a dongle, would have been good)
2) it lacks a built-in SDHC card reader
3) it lacks a built-in USB port for keyboard suppot
4) it isn't clear if the USB adapter will support USB keyboards
5) it isn't clear if you can use both the/a USB adapter and a video output adapter at the same time
6) it lacks the ability to install non-app-store apps
7) it lacks a pixelqi display, or similar display that offers the advantages of both LCD and e-paper
8) it lacks an interesting and creative physical design (it's just a giant iPod touch)

Compare all of those to the Notion Ink Adam, which also has a much longer battery life. The Adam appears to be way ahead in design specs.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Interesting product. But, lacks some important features.
Interesting comment. But, lacks some important insight.

1) It lacks HD video output (display port, direct, or at least via a dongle, would have been good)
2) it lacks a built-in SDHC card reader
3) it lacks a built-in USB port for keyboard suppot
4) it isn't clear if the USB adapter will support USB keyboards
5) it isn't clear if you can use both the/a USB adapter and a video output adapter at the same time
6) it lacks the ability to install non-app-store apps
7) it lacks a pixelqi display, or similar display that offers the advantages of both LCD and e-paper
8) it lacks an interesting and creative physical design (it's just a giant iPod touch)

Compare all of those to the Notion Ink Adam, which also has a much longer battery life. The Adam appears to be way ahead in design specs.

If you're interested in a pure features count, Apple devices in general almost always lose out to the competition. Is that news to anybody?

I tend to think of computer devices and their features in terms of "what does it enable me to do and what kind of experience does it offer ?" which I find much more interesting than looking at spec sheets. It's quite easy to build a feature-rich tablet with good specs, it's incredibly hard to build one that is a pleasure to use.

Now, does it make sense to say that the iPad "lacks important features?" As a general statement, I think this fails to deliver any insight. It really depends on what the intended audience is, or from your perspective, what you're planning to do with it. Is my stereo lacking some important features because it can't play internet radio and doesn't have an equalizer ?

Some of the items on your list and a lot that aren't on your list would be nice to have, so of course the iPad can be improved upon, others I find totally ridiculous like number 8. I suppose the Notion Ink Adam has an "interesting and creative physical design" ?

3aLx
3aLp

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
I suppose the Notion Ink Adam has an "interesting and creative physical design" ?

LOL!

The smart man's wager says the Notion Ink Adam will have disappeared from the marketplace within a year. 18 months if they're lucky.

Mark it.

I'm surprised kzin didn't request a parallel printer port. This fascination with hardware specs makes for interesting conversation, but it's almost completely irrelevant in the actual marketplace.

"It's the software, stupid."

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
1)

But waaaaay behind in software. Hence the videos where they show plain circles animating on the screen, really slow visual transitions, or the "how many taps on this button does it take for this to do something?" game... Doesn't look like it will be a *bad* product, but what they've shown so far looks pre-alpha in software quality.

kzin

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2005
I beg to differ. For one, you can only grip it from the rounded edge as opposed to the iPad which you can grip from any edge and hold in any orientation.

Says who?

I haven't seen anything that says you can't hold it from any edge, or that it can't be held in any orientation.

diabolic

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2007
Austin, Texas
Says who?

I haven't seen anything that says you can't hold it from any edge, or that it can't be held in any orientation.

I'd guess that if the bezel isn't as wide as a thumb, it's too small to comfortably grab without touching the touchscreen accidentally.

I think that's why the iPad bezel is relatively wide. I always thought people complaining about it weren't actually thinking about holding the device.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Says who?

Says anyone who looks at it and sees it has a 1 cm bezel on every side except the rounded edge side. You know, capacitive touch screen. Fingers on screen = unwanted touches. Watch the Notion Ink guy hold it. He always holds it from the rounded edge side; it's the only edge that gives you enough space to grip.

Peter Harrison

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2009
UK
Probably isn't important, but fellow UK residents may be interested to know that the "iPad Coming Soon" link and image etc has been removed from the Store. Usually when you go in, there's a block all about the iPad which simply takes you to the normal .com/uk/ipad pages to learn more about it. That's gone, no mention of iPad among the store pages now. Probably nothing, but maybe because we're about to get pre-orders.

Bentron

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Probably isn't important, but fellow UK residents may be interested to know that the "iPad Coming Soon" link and image etc has been removed from the Store. Usually when you go in, there's a block all about the iPad which simply takes you to the normal .com/uk/ipad pages to learn more about it. That's gone, no mention of iPad among the store pages now. Probably nothing, but maybe because we're about to get pre-orders.

It's still there, and it is still 'Magical and Revolutionary'. I'd got my hopes up for a second :eek:

Peter Harrison

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2009
UK
I'm seeing it now as well, on all browsers on two different systems. Definitely wasn't there earlier. Weird. Nevermind, false alarm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.