Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pjarvi

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2006
Clovis, CA
Upgraded and answered my own question last night: iTunes11 no longer gives a false alert about 1080P support. I was able to play several 1080P movies last night without receiving a single alert. Everything seems "snappier" too! :D

emvath

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2009
Get better service. iTunes Match works flawlessly when your bandwidth doesn't suck.

Funniest thing I've read all day. iTunes Match is the worst product or service that I've ever used from Apple. Like nothing even comes close. Terrible.

achtung!

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2005
Portugal
i've just used itunes for a couple hours but i've already have a lot of stuff to mention, both bad and good. here they are:

pros:
_the overall cleaner look;
_the sleeker miniplayer, although you cant rate a song there.
_the list of the artists is a good addition, although search right on the artist column would be awesome;
_when connecting a device like an iphone, you can finally view the apps that are on your phone mixed with all your list, with the ability to install or remove apps directly. it's a huge improvement while managing apps;

cons:
_i can't lock the position of the miniplayer. when alternating between mini and full view, miniplayer always go to the default position;
_the artist view, with the songs divided in columns, just terrible;
_the album artwork with faded borders doesn't work well with most artwork and some fadings are abrupt, depending on the colors;
_the customized colors based on the artwork colors sometimes are way to flashy, and the readability is terrible. good intention but it doesn't work well. all that color is very tiring after a couple minutes;
_the song list view is useless. an hybrid view with songs list and artwork is needed.
_we need two separated stores for apps and music. why do i need to get through the itunes store to get to the apps store? slow and pointless.

jon9091

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
I'm not in front if iTunes right now, but I ran into something this morning that if I remember correctly would be just mind blowingly stupid to me.

Go into the Song List View and do a "Get Info" on any song. Everything looks to be as it should be.

Now do the same thing in the Albums or Artists view. Is the Summary Tab missing or was I just in a massive hurry this morning???

If it is indeed missing from these two views...this is completely baffling to me. One wouldn't know if he's copying the Lossless or the AAC file to his iPod, or where the source file is located etc. etc. without switching back to the Song List view and doing another "Get Info".

Aeryn

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2009
Go into the Song List View and do a "Get Info" on any song. Everything looks to be as it should be.

Now do the same thing in the Albums or Artists view. Is the Summary Tab missing or was I just in a massive hurry this morning???
One vote for massive hurry. ;-) Nope, not missing, same behavior as 10.7.

However, if you selected the whole album (without drilling down to a specfic track) and did Get Info, then it was showing you the multiple items view and, yes, the Summary Tab is not included in that view (wasn't in 10.7, either). If you previously turned off the "edit information for multiple items" warning it is probably going straight to the Info panel with Info, Video, Sorting, and Options tabs.

jon9091

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
One vote for massive hurry. ;-) Nope, not missing, same behavior as 10.7.

However, if you selected the whole album (without drilling down to a specfic track) and did Get Info, then it was showing you the multiple items view and, yes, the Summary Tab is not included in that view (wasn't in 10.7, either). If you previously turned off the "edit information for multiple items" warning it is probably going straight to the Info panel with Info, Video, Sorting, and Options tabs.

Hmmm...something else must have been going on then. I'm sure I was clicking on tracks...not albums, as I tried a number of different ones. Will try again later. Thank you for checking.

Aviator717

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2012
Questions itunes11

I was hoping new iTunes would help make easier to import movies and music details including pictures. Any addon out there that will do this?:)

ljonesj

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Kingsport TN
i would still like to find out how to shrink the size of the artwork for my movies and tv shows cause for me they are to big i like to shrink them so i can get more of the shows on screen

Mirai 11

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2005
As for the moment i need to use a Windows laptop to do Uni work on, iTunes 11 really works well. Love the new UI, the store runs a hell of a lot faster, and iCloud works so much better too.

ToddJ

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2008
has anyone else had a problem with 'Up Next' and iTunes match? i would try to add a song that is in the 'iCloud' to Up Next and it wouldn't play it......it just skips it completely and starts playing the next song (that isn't in the cloud..)

Hephaestus

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
+1 spread the word

This is true, I really like the album view but I just end up reverting back to song view. When you have hundreds upon hundreds of albums it becomes to tedious trying to find the one you want.

If it was somehow more efficient I'd definitely love to use album view.

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
Unfortunately I have no idea what Crossfade is/does so I haven't come across the issue. Or many other issues. I'm happy with this update so far :)
Crossfade is an option in the preferences that fades out the end of the currently playing song and fades in with the beginning of the next.

Lvivske

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
🇺🇦
This is true, I really like the album view but I just end up reverting back to song view. When you have hundreds upon hundreds of albums it becomes to tedious trying to find the one you want.

If it was somehow more efficient I'd definitely love to use album view.

i'm finding one way around my/your/everyones problem is using Artists to play the songs that I would normally, and then click Songs

Songs now is already focused on your track (so have it column-sort by album or artist or something that would keep the album in order) and you can now easily see the columnized metadata that you would normally find important

It's not perfect but at least allows me to overview an album easier.

Medium Rare

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2011
Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
The feature that I used a lot was the one that would change the bit rate to 80 kbps. Yes,I know it effects the sound quality,but not enough for my ears to tell any difference,especially if you listening to music in a convertible.

Lvivske

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2011
🇺🇦
The feature that I used a lot was the one that would change the bit rate to 80 kbps. Yes,I know it effects the sound quality,but not enough for my ears to tell any difference.

wait, what? there was a feature in itunes that destroyed the sound quality? and why would you want it?

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
after spending several hours with it last night as I also was beginning to do a library rebuild, I am finding that I like it more than I did initially.

But here is something I never used iTunes for before, books. Has it always been pretty bad? I have collections on my ipad but cant do that in iTunes or am I missing something? Just dont know enough of it this was how it always was or am I just not educated enough on it.

Lannoc

macrumors regular
May 30, 2011
I really like the Home Movies section, now I can separate my feature films from my random videos I want to watch on Air Play to my tv.

A couple of my Movie "thumbnails" are not showing up. It might have something to do with the files not actually being on my Mac (I have them stored on an external HDD), but other movies that are also not on my Mac show up, so weird.

Mine is showing my home movies under movies? It shows nothing under "home videos"?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Thats cool. I wonder if Apple is now aware of all media. Privacy issue?

No, Since all Home Sharing does is enable it on the Apple ID you sign in with on those devices you want access from iTunes. Streaming is all done on your LAN, without data sent to Apple.

You trust Apple to do the right thing....

But hey... Thats what we also said about Location Services on IOS too...

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
Ok, how do I get Lyrics to show up while a song is playing???

I've always wondered why AppleTV doesn't have an option to show lyrics on the screen while it's playing a song (iPhones/iPod Touch devices can, but note with "Remote" for playing back your home library.... It's like WTF not? I added that suggestion YEARS ago to Apple. I don't think they actually read suggestions since "Remote" is otherwise identical looking and it's a natural addition.

I mean what's the point in being able to imbed lyrics if you can't freaking view them? Basically, I see the same thing here. There's a natural place to show lyrics if you click on the artwork and no lyrics to view. Heck, AppleTV in particular could easily have Karaoke support with a bouncing ball or highlights or something to text to sing along (i.e. there's plenty of karaoke songs out there to buy).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.