Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
Mine is showing my home movies under movies? It shows nothing under "home videos"?

you can choose that as the file time if you do a get info on the file. The downside is taht i fyou stream to the appleTV, they are still under your regular movie listings so if you do that it helps to add a genre of home video or whatever to separate them out.

----------

Since upgrading I have noticed the program becoming non responsive when ejecting my iPhone and iPad. I've had to force quit twice now. Anyone else experiancing this?

it helps to post up your computer specs as well as OS version to see if its an OS thing or just a one off incident.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Well I've messed around with it for a few hours and I like it. The big difference to me is when you select an artist's albums the individual songs are listed in 3 columns across the page instead of one column.

The number of columns depends on how wide your window is. Adjust the window size and watch it change. iTunes is using the space you give it.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Since upgrading I have noticed the program becoming non responsive when ejecting my iPhone and iPad. I've had to force quit twice now. Anyone else experiancing this?

no issue here.

I've just done a restore with iTunes 11 on my iPhone 4s... and all is well.

Only thing is, it does no longer automatically apply update, even with device still connected.. After iTunes finishes downloading the use must click Restore again,, only this time it extracts it instead.

Not a major issue..... And i guess Apple had a reason to do this. If the device was physically unplugged though, it would have make sense. (like in previous versions).

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Now guys how do you play content (music, movie) on device A and continue watching on device B?

I don't understand your question. Every device connected to your iCloud can play content independently. Or if you're in the same house you can share content using Home Sharing and every device can play something different.

hulk2012

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2012
I don't understand your question. Every device connected to your iCloud can play content independently. Or if you're in the same house you can share content using Home Sharing and every device can play something different.

In iTunes 11 there is new function introduced which let you continue listening same content on various apple devices. For example you can start watching movie on iPhone, pause it and then continue watching it from when you paused on for example iMac or Apple TV. My question is how do you do that?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
In iTunes 11 there is new function introduced which let you continue listening same content on various apple devices. For example you can start watching movie on iPhone, pause it and then continue watching it from when you paused on for example iMac or Apple TV. My question is how do you do that?

I see. I took the meaning of "continue watching" differently than you intended. You don't have to do anything. Watch a show on one device...stop...pick up another device...it'll just prompt you to resume or start over. It's automatic.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
The search doesn't even search the composer field.

You can switch back to the old search, just click the magnifying glass and uncheck "search entire library". Composer search should work either way, but that fixes it.

2. How do I get the old instant search function back? I really liked the way it searched in the previous version.

See above.

I have playlists labeled xxx xxxx xxxxx.. During the party in iTunes DJ I would simply change the playlist and the next song would pull from the right playlist on the fly. I also could do this WITHOUT interrupting the song currently playing. I am not sure how to replicate this functionality in iTunes 11.

While one playlist is playing, I'm able to go to a playlist, select all, then right click and choose Play Next which puts them next in Up Next. Seems to work just fine. Putting them at the end of the Up Next queue is also an option.

hulk2012

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2012
I see. I took the meaning of "continue watching" differently than you intended. You don't have to do anything. Watch a show on one device...stop...pick up another device...it'll just prompt you to resume or start over. It's automatic.

How to set this up? How do you continue watching it on another device? Do you need some app for that?

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
That seems like enough art without having that art in the lower left corner?

Those all show album art of the track playing. What's missing from the previous version is the ability to see the art on a selected track. If someone has found a way to do it, I'd love to know what it is.

Funniest thing I've read all day. iTunes Match is the worst product or service that I've ever used from Apple. Like nothing even comes close. Terrible.

Exactly my reaction. Out of any product apple has ever shipped, Match is arguably one of the least "flawless".

I mean what's the point in being able to imbed lyrics if you can't freaking view them?

Don't get your hopes up. They used to have lyrics display on the iPad, took it out and it never came back. I wonder if it's fear of a legal issue from the copyright holders, I know some publishers have tried to crack down on lyrics websites.

Frosties

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2009
Sweden
Genius-mixes = waste of bits

Just one thing. In iTunes 11 they removed the dj function but kept the saddest excuse for function - the genius mixes. They are so useless, they never change why keep them if the don't randomize over your total library. As it is now I have had the same mixes for years. Waste of bits!

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
the genius function is working like it should and you are mad? The genious works by taking what you played and suggesting something else in your library. So if your library never changes, your mixes will never change.

if you want a truly changing playlist, make a smart playlist that chooses the 100 or whatever # lowest played songs. This way you are guaranteed to get something that yo uhavent played in a while. Because I have a little OCD and end up compeltelying entire artist catalogues but not always playing every track, I have a playlist that gives me 100 songs that have never been played that it chooses at random.

hulk2012

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2012
if you do a proper sync across your devices this will work. If you pull from the cloud then it should work as long as the next device is pulling from the cloud.

Can you explain in detail pls? Can you do that with downloaded songs or they have to be paid via iTunes for example?

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
Can you explain in detail pls? Can you do that with downloaded songs or they have to be paid via iTunes for example?

lets start with local files. lets say you begin watching a movie on your computer and stop 20 minutes into it and decide yo uneed to have it on your phone. Sync that movie to your phone and it should pick up (conitnue) where you left off on your computer. Then lets say you want to watch it on your appleTV when you get back home, sync the phone to the computer and then begin to watch on your tv and it should pick up again where you left it off on the phone. Same with podcasts, songs, tv shows, etc. I assume it also works for books, but I am barely getting into using my idevices for reading.

Now if you are watching a movie from the cloud on your appleTV and stop halfway, you should be able tos tream from the cloud to your computer and it will begin from where you left off.

that is how it has worked for me, but I do have to say that I dont use match and barely stream from the cloud, so that end of it I have have limited experience in. but it has worked the few times I have tried it.

Frosties

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2009
Sweden
the genius function is working like it should and you are mad? The genious works by taking what you played and suggesting something else in your library. So if your library never changes, your mixes will never change.

if you want a truly changing playlist, make a smart playlist that chooses the 100 or whatever # lowest played songs. This way you are guaranteed to get something that yo uhavent played in a while. Because I have a little OCD and end up compeltelying entire artist catalogues but not always playing every track, I have a playlist that gives me 100 songs that have never been played that it chooses at random.

I am not talking about choosing a song and making a genius mix myself that works, instead it's apple's default mixes in playlists that never change. The mixes are not set up like you seem to think as they don't change due to playcount etc. Regarding the mad comment - get bent.

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
You show me you arent mad by getting madder? Gotta love people sometimes.

and you can alter any of the default lists to whatever you need them to be. But apparently has to do everything for you including telling you what to listen to.

hulk2012

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2012
lets start with local files. lets say you begin watching a movie on your computer and stop 20 minutes into it and decide yo uneed to have it on your phone. Sync that movie to your phone and it should pick up (conitnue) where you left off on your computer. Then lets say you want to watch it on your appleTV when you get back home, sync the phone to the computer and then begin to watch on your tv and it should pick up again where you left it off on the phone. Same with podcasts, songs, tv shows, etc. I assume it also works for books, but I am barely getting into using my idevices for reading.

Now if you are watching a movie from the cloud on your appleTV and stop halfway, you should be able tos tream from the cloud to your computer and it will begin from where you left off.

that is how it has worked for me, but I do have to say that I dont use match and barely stream from the cloud, so that end of it I have have limited experience in. but it has worked the few times I have tried it.

Right but where do you open it on iPhone to continue playing or same with MacBook or Apple TV? And how do you sync Apple TV and iPhone? I have home sharing but I think u talking about something different. Like streaming from the cloud you mean having iTunes Match subscription?

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
a sync. its the way you have loaded up things to the iPod from the beginning. You plug in the device to the computer and choose sync.

As far as the cloud, you dont have to have match to be able to pull a movie or tv show from the cloud.

hulk2012

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2012
a sync. its the way you have loaded up things to the iPod from the beginning. You plug in the device to the computer and choose sync.

As far as the cloud, you dont have to have match to be able to pull a movie or tv show from the cloud.

How do you pull from cloud content which you didn't buy??

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
ahhh ok, I see your confusion. The could portion only works on things you have purchased from apple. If you are talking about a movie you have on your computer from another source you need to do what I explained at first.

now going from computer to computer with home sharing as long as you are only playing and not copying over.

hulk2012

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2012
ahhh ok, I see your confusion. The could portion only works on things you have purchased from apple. If you are talking about a movie you have on your computer from another source you need to do what I explained at first.

now going from computer to computer with home sharing as long as you are only playing and not copying over.

What about songs, books etc? So this pulling from iCloud to continue watching on various devices only works with purchased content then once syncs for automatic download on every device so it can be played?

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
i think were traveling on the same highway but your about 3 exits behind me. When I get off work ill send you a PM breaking it down, this way I have time to put together a proper post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.