Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phat_Pat

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2004
I Live Where I Live
SeaFox said:
1. Advanced menu --> Switch to Mini Player
2. Use the iTunes controller Widget
3. I have the FoxyTunes extension for Firefox, which gives me simple controls for iTunes in the status bar of browser windows.
1. You can just hit the green button over the play/pause buttons

rdas7

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2002
London, England
Phat_Pat said:
1. You can just hit the green button over the play/pause buttons

For even more transparent control over iTunes, check out Synergy which gives you key command shortcuts to all the good stuff in iTunes (Play/Pause/Rwd/FFw) as well as control over star ratings (via key shortcuts) and other cool stuff.

It's even growl-aware so you have trigger transluscent overlays (like the volume/brightness controls). I've got mine configured so that every time a new track comes on, a transluscent black bar pops up at the bottom of my screen with album art, artist and track info (like MTV, sorta). Or a key shortcut pops up info about the currently playing track (in case I'm curious!)

This is a sample screenshot of growl - imagine that black bar at the bottom sliding up for a few seconds then sliding back down with all the track info...

Once it's all configured the way you want it, you won't even really need to go to iTunes to control your music - and best of all, this solution uses no screen space at all, so you've got more room to focus on what you're doing.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Jetson said:
I can see no reason for updating songs to the iPod that I've simply listened to in iTunes. I hope they fixed that.
Possibly they're working on something like smart on-the-go playlists. They'd need to bump the play counts and dates for that.

It would be nice if they would fix the iPod recognition problems that turned up in 5.0, the current business with having to plug in and unplug some iPods is a little bit mysterious and inconsistent.

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
I got iTunes 5.0.1 two weeks ago!! Check it out (see attachment).

Strange thing. I was trying to update iTunes 5.0.0 to 5.0.1 via Software Update. I had a network issue, and it disconnected, but I don't think that was an issue. I tried again and it was fine...except I had an error trying to verify:

Software Update could not expand Package correctly.

After repairing permissions, I tried again, but the same thing. After googling for a bit, I came up with a number of possibilities, including a missing tar file, false receipts, or a missing link to my tmp folder.

What it actually was, I discovered, in my console log, was that I already had it! i checked in my packages folder, since I normally keep them. In there was an iTunesX.pkg which I used to update from 4.9 to 5.0.0. I remember it saying "version 5.0.1" and it being strange. I removed it from the packages, and tried Software Update again - sure enough, it downloaded and expanded fine.

you can see the info from each of the packages I have that they are both version 5.0.1, but one is from two weeks ago, approximately the time of 5.0.0, and the other one from yesterday (real 5.0.1). Having said that, though, both files are identtical in size, so maybe they're actually the same file, and I somehow broke it during my disconnection, making it have a version and file size of the new one, but keeping the creation and modification date of the old one. I dunno - does anyone have the original 5.0.0 package they can verify with?

I hope this helps anyone else having problems.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 188

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
barbee said:
Does anyone know if this solves anything for Windows platforms? From my experience, the performance is HORRIBLE and there's no way of downgrading to 4.x.

I've had no problems with iTunes 5 on my XP system. performance is fine. Of course I uninstalled iTunes and quicktime, rebooted, reinstalled, rebooted. Maybe a bit overkill but it takes 20 seconds to boot so *shrugs*.

Don't think I will upgrade. The issues this resolves I haven't had in the first place. *knock on wood*

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Jetson said:
I reported to Apple that with iTunes 5.0, it now updates every recently played song to my iPod. This is annoying and time wasting. It's also fragments my iPod's hard drive.

Playcounts have changed so "technically" it is a change that is being applied to your iPod. I noticed this as well. iTunes as good as it is has one crappy way of handling files. I wish the software was smart enough to simply modify the file headers and tags instead of just dumping the file over to the iPod. Seems like a waste of time. :(

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
hob said:
I noticed something new - if you pick up more than 1 track, for example to move them to an ipod etc., a star appears telling you the number of tracks, as with iPhoto...

That's a nice touch, but I'd also like to see the bottom status bar change, to reflect the total time + size of the selected files.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
No problems with iTunes 5.0 either. Just happy that Apple continues to work for us.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Agreed. iTunes has become essential in my video production workflow. It's what I like to call, an "essential app".

TML

macrumors newbie
I'm actually really disappointed with these two new latest iTunes versions. Neither 5 or 5.1 actually runs on my windows xp!

I keep getting this message after I accept the liscence agreement...

message.JPG

How annoying! I've already lost my very scattered iTunes library and my playlists have all disappeared!

Any ideas?

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
TML said:
I'm actually really disappointed with these two new latest iTunes versions. Neither 5 or 5.1 actually runs on my windows xp!

message.JPG

How annoying! I've already lost my very scattered iTunes library and my playlists have all disappeared!

Any ideas?

I did read about someone on XP (in this forum) who un-installed both iTunes and Quicktime before upgrading. Maybe you could try that? :confused:

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
TML said:
Let iTunes manage your music library. You'll be glad you did. Trust us!

VanMac

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2005
Rampaging Tokyo
TML said:

message.JPG

Any ideas?
Odd. Worked OK for me on my XP machine. No problemo of course on the iBook.

Try un-installing QTime and iTUnes as suggested, and reinstall from scratch. It is Windows after all. Reboot 3 or 4 times, wait on hold for 6hrs with Tech Support, then throw it out the window.... ;)

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
Windows 5.0.1

The Windows version downloaded and installed fine for me (one on Win2K, one on XP). Everything seems to work OK, including streaming from the Win2K box to the XP box, and streaming from radio stations.

One interesting thing that I noticed is that the installer is a bit more pedantic - in a good way. While running, it popped up a box telling me that it needs to replace files that are in-use, naming the applications using the file. I quit from those specific apps and clicked "retry" to continue. The installation then completed normally. (Requiring a reboot on Win2K, but not on XP.)

This is a lot nicer than the more traditional "you must quit all apps" behavior that I've seen.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Whyren said:
I'm not a fan of the Podcasts in the Library, but neither am I a fan of the videos or even streams being in there...I use the Library as my music-file-only library, meaning it's the "playlist" I listen too the most. Perhaps they could add a preference to select what you'd like in the library, and what you'd like in a separate listing..
I used to think this way too, but the library is really a place holder for ALL your files, which promted me to create this smart playlist for music only:
Genre does not contain: Spoken Word
Genre does not contain: Comedy
Genre does not contain: Podcast
Genre does not contain: Book
Type does not contain: Quick
Type does not contain: stream

That should take care of most of your non-music files and give you a nice playlist of music only.

potuncle

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2003
iPost said:
Is anybody happy with upgrading from an iTunes 4.x version to 5?

I have 4.8 and I've been avoiding an upgrade as the 4.8 version does everything I need. I get the feeling that iTunes is becoming more bloated over time.

From everything I read, it looks like it's a good idea to stay with 4.8. I have the 4.8 installer saved too... too bad I can't post it for those who want to go back.

Yes, I'm happy. Happy that just as every other point upgrade they add new "stuff" to the visualizer.

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
There's nothing wrong with iTunes organizing your music- that is if you never use any other computers/Operating systems to browse your music, or want to share your music with others easily on a disc, let's say. To NON-iTunes users.

Same with iPhoto. It's a nightmare looking in the folders of iPhoto where your photos are held. Pretty scary.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
scottlinux said:
There's nothing wrong with iTunes organizing your music- that is if you never use any other computers/Operating systems to browse your music, or want to share your music with others easily on a disc, let's say. To NON-iTunes users.

Hahaha! You jest, surely. You mean people use alternatives! :eek:
In all seriousness, I see where you're coming from but it's all fine if you do everything through iTunes - including the burning of MP3 disks for friends. I transfer a lot of music between my PC (XP) and my Macs trouble free. Of course, they both have iTunes though.

scottlinux said:
Same with iPhoto. It's a nightmare looking in the folders of iPhoto where your photos are held. Pretty scary.

Very true. Once again though, the best option is to Export your photos from the Share menu. :)

iPhoto is much worse than iTunes in this respect IMO.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
With the next upgrade of iTunes, I'd like to see a feature where the battery charging status of iPods connected are displayed in the iTunes window. That would be cool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.