Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
Problem Updating iPod

I reported to Apple that with iTunes 5.0, it now updates every recently played song to my iPod. This is annoying and time wasting. It's also fragments my iPod's hard drive.

I can see no reason for updating songs to the iPod that I've simply listened to in iTunes. I hope they fixed that.

I also had a problem with one playlist being appended to other playlists.

I love the changes they made to iTunes. I just hope the bugs get worked out soon.

cheekyspanky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2004
South Bucks, UK
Hasn't appeared in software update for me yet, can't say I've really noticed any issues with my current version.

The recently played songs being updated to the iPod issue I have noticed, but it doesn't bother me too much. Has that been addressed in this update though?

aegisdesign

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
Lacero said:
This should silence all the critics...

*hears crickets*

They've fixed the search bar bug where it wasn't showing the selection in the bar correctly, but that's it. It's still the bastard son of Metal and Unified with all the half implemented features from before.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
An interesting thing I realized when I updated to iTunes 5 that I forget to ask or mention. i noticed that iTunes 5 does not have a new color icon. All the previous iTunes major updates changed the iTunes icon color or design. The first was 3 music notes, then it went to purple and then blue or some order like that. But i noticed it didn't change this time, anyone have an idea why not?

Whyren

macrumors 6502a
wwooden said:
An interesting thing I realized when I updated to iTunes 5 that I forget to ask or mention. i noticed that iTunes 5 does not have a new color icon. All the previous iTunes major updates changed the iTunes icon color or design. The first was 3 music notes, then it went to purple and then blue or some order like that. But i noticed it didn't change this time, anyone have an idea why not?

As some others have mentioned before, it's likely because the green iTunes icon has become so well known and more connected to the iPod as 4 has been the version with Windows support, the version under which the iPod has become extremely popular (iPod did lull for a while) and the version with the extremely popular iTunes music store. For these reasons, changing the icon simply for a version change might take away from the branding.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
We've had blue and purple, but I don't think people would want a pink icon :p

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    9 KB · Views: 1,160

WeBleed4Real

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2005
iTunes 5.0.1 fixes

It looks like it fixed an issue I had with "Shared Music". iTunes 5.0 didn't show shared music in the playlists, but since I updated, they're back.

The search engine for the music store seems improved. Before the update, it intermittently failed to find my podcast. So far it finds it pretty consistently.

My only problem is that it still seems like iTunes is filtering some of my keywords that I put in my Feedburner Smartcast to help people find the podcast. I bet it's not a bug. Just curious who's doing this so I can kick the crap out of them.

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
I noticed something new - if you pick up more than 1 track, for example to move them to an ipod etc., a star appears telling you the number of tracks, as with iPhoto...

LGRW3919

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2005
cupertino (no joke)
hob said:
I noticed something new - if you pick up more than 1 track, for example to move them to an ipod etc., a star appears telling you the number of tracks, as with iPhoto...

its been like that since itunes 5.0, 5.0.1 didn't introduce that.

iPost

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2003
Any reason to upgrade to 5?

Is anybody happy with upgrading from an iTunes 4.x version to 5?

I have 4.8 and I've been avoiding an upgrade as the 4.8 version does everything I need. I get the feeling that iTunes is becoming more bloated over time.

From everything I read, it looks like it's a good idea to stay with 4.8. I have the 4.8 installer saved too... too bad I can't post it for those who want to go back.

kasei

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I did not experience any problem with the last update, but I did notice iTunes was slower than hell. Now it appears they have worked the bugs out and accessing the music store is a snap.

Whyren

macrumors 6502a
iPost said:

I have 4.8 and I've been avoiding an upgrade as the 4.8 version does everything I need. I get the feeling that iTunes is becoming more bloated over time.

From everything I read, it looks like it's a good idea to stay with 4.8. I have the 4.8 installer saved too... too bad I can't post it for those who want to go back.

I'm stayin' with 4.9 'till required to upgrade (which probably won't be too much longer with the iTMS). No major complaints against 5...I'd get used to the new appearance I guess. I'm not a fan of the Podcasts in the Library, but neither am I a fan of the videos or even streams being in there...I use the Library as my music-file-only library, meaning it's the "playlist" I listen too the most. Perhaps they could add a preference to select what you'd like in the library, and what you'd like in a separate listing.

But, the only reason I have to upgrade right now is to stop the annoying Software Update messages...and those could be disabled if I wanted.

DIXIE

macrumors member
You are not alone!

iPost said:

Right On!!

I never went past iTunes 4.8, since 4.9, 5.0, and now 5.01, all deal with the iPod and Podcasting, which is meaningless for me. I use my computer or discs in a CD player when listening to my very selective old time real music. I'm not about to walk around with earbuds destroying the ear follicles in my auditory canal!

The iPod itself does have some alternative features that are very useful such as backup storage for photos, data, and music. I believe the black nano is a killer. If only the Pods could be a booting device ......hm, hm, hm,

I usually upgrade my 3 Apple computers after the "improvements" become stable and the complaints drop to the level of poor computer maintenance. That's why I'm still in iPhoto 4.03 and waiting for OS 10.4.3 (500+ bug corrections) or 10.4.4

Hopefully, Apple remembers it was Apple COMPUTER, not Apple iPod that took them to the dance!!!

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
wrxguy said:
can anyone recomend a mini itunes player that i can use so that i dont have to keep maximizing and minimizing my itunes...i would like to have the art work and all that but its not a must

1. Advanced menu --> Switch to Mini Player
2. Use the iTunes controller Widget
3. I have the FoxyTunes extension for Firefox, which gives me simple controls for iTunes in the status bar of browser windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.