Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaysinnva

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2008
Funny how this branding sticks. I know people who have never owned a mac before, who switch, and suddenly start calling their new MacBook a Powerbook. Why? Genetic memory or something? Who knows.

Powerbook was just a cooler name :cool:.

My MBP's system name is actually Powerbook, though I did have a G4 at one point :D

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
Here's to hoping the MOSXS 10.6.3 update fixes the SUS issues. Like the one I am having trying to get it to download the 10.6.3 client update.

goodcow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
I've tried so many times to transfer a folder, then that wouldn't work. So I zipped it, and that wouldn't work. Every time I received the same error relating to file corruption, and I knew that was wrong.

Thank you Apple!

We shouldn't have to thank them, the fact that they broke it in the first place is unacceptable.

Apple needs to stop living in their own little bubble of Apple products and realize that there are schools and enterprises that need Windows support and they need to test for it a hell of a lot better than they currently do.

MinkyMomo

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2009
California, USA
FireWire's still broken...

I have a DVD burner in an external FireWire 400 enclosure that disappeared with Snow Leopard... It appears to be missing still...

RT2020

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2010
Yay! A news story not about the ipad! It's like the good old days again. Will install tonight.

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
What are you talking about. If the new macbook pros are released tomorrow it will already come with 10.6.3.

Up until recently, they were all prereleases. Unless they've installed prerelease software on the new MBPs (not a chance), if new MBPs were to be released tomorrow they would ship with 10.6.2.

interconnect

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2007
Not quite true. This is not a new feature upgrade. It exists only to fix bugs. If you don't have any of these bugs, you only have potential downside with no up.

I am generally one of the first to install new software (I usually install it on a test system first). I will not be installing this soon because it will be of no use to me.

Wrong. There were new features in Snow Leopard, just no visible end-user features. GCD and OpenCL, to name a couple. There were a lot of other tweak and refinements that definitely make SL worth the upgrade.

cutthroughthebs

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2010
This in no way implies new MacBook Pros tomorrow. They'd be all packaged up already, unable to update the software.

BTW, wonder if this works on my Hackintosh? :confused:
I will break that increadable piece of machinery... I wouldn't if I was you... pirate! Arrrhhhg matey!

borcanm

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2008
Anyone installed this update and then try to play World of Warcraft. If so can you post your experience in WoW with this update. (i.e. is it faster, are there any problems, etc.).

borcanm

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2008
I'll get the Combo update and see if it fixes the GMA X3100 and Mobility X1600 issues.

What problems are you having with X1600? Is it that it causes the mbp to shut down or freeze because that is hardware related.

gps

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2008
That information isn't included in what's submitted. Notice how the linked page says that the information is submitted when something crashes? Gathering crash information for debugging is what it's about.

Not true...

They are not sending out information about crashes... they are very generic on this topic, if you see the last topic of their support page, they state clearly:

Usage information (for example, data about how you use Apple and third-party software, hardware, and services)

So it's easy... 1+1 = ?

jeznav

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2007
Eh?
Funny. When do windows users get excited about windows update?

"Yippee! Downloading Service Pack 3!" :D

Dicx

Contributor
Jan 10, 2006
I would guess new MBP's around the 13th, or 20th. Apple is in no way taking any light away from the iPad launch. Plus iLife and iWork need a rev, and Jobs likes to demo those. Maybe invites in the next week or so?

gtg660w

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2008
How about updating Time Machine?

I keep hoping they will send out an update that will finally stop the F$%#ing crappy software known as Time Machine from causing my mac to hang up in the middle of something.

Seriously, I've seen this as a known issue for many. The software is great when it works, but most of the time it sucks the life out of my iMac, and when I'm wanting to restart or shut down, I have to unplug my external hd because the program doesn't know how to call it quits. If anything, they need to overhaul that annoying piece of @%IT!!

Pardon my French :D

cult hero

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
It's fully tested but interesting to see the how hacks do.

Unfortunately, my Hackintosh is at my house (where I rarely stay anymore) so I won't be able to test it until the weekend.

10.6.3 seems to be running just fine on my MBP though. (I'm not surprised since I've been running SL since release day and have had virtually no issues with it.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.