Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

great high wolf

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2006
Still getting errors about product distribution files, despite multiple reboots, signing in and out and wiping some caches.

All this because I WANT THE NEW TWITTER CLIENT, DAMMIT.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
...their downloading is going super-slow, which is unusual for Apple. Maybe they are loaded with purchasers.

If they lake their $200 'express' type programs $79 for download, they are essentially kicking the PC and software makers' balls. Why would someone own some jacked-down priced PC just to buy tons of jacked-up price software? Macs cost a bit up front, but the non-pro software is darn cheap.

Macs have always had the "but it comes with iLife for free!" argument. It was a good point.

This just takes that point and juices it up on super-steroids. This is pure cathnip for the "I use Windows but I like my iPad so now I'm looking at a Mac" crowd.

kilowattradio

macrumors regular
May 11, 2009
Oregon
If you have the software pre-App Store it won't let you rate it.

I have BBEDIT which I installed prior to using the App Store. BBEDIT is in the Mac App Store and I have the current version. However, when I go to rate it in the M.A.S. I am not allowed to rate it even it is listed as installed.
Another thing I don't like is not being able to try before you buy. I guess you have to go to the designers web site and see if they have a demo.
I do like how when you download an App it jumps from the M.A.S. to the Dock. Overall I think it will be successful for low cost items, but people will want to try before you buy on the expensive Apps unless a friend gives a good reference.

casaschi

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2011
It's only $29.00, it totally stable - just update what's the problem here???

It's the principle.
There's NOTHING fundamentally preventing access to an app store for 10.5, just they draw the line there.
As usual, you get a shiny new toy, a couple of years later it's not shiny anymore unless to open your wallet again and again.
Hope many other 10.5 users complain...

jmille44

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005
Why can't I buy RAM?

I'd like to be able to purchase hardware here too. I know it's an App store but why not sell hardware too? Would be funny to have macsales.com RAM next to Apple RAM for sale and see the price difference. Sell hardware and just call it the new apple store.

ETA: Why can't I buy a blender on here? I mean come on Apple?

ETA2: Where is the home button in the app store? Featured items is the home button?

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
was hoping the a new iWork would be released the same time this Mac App Store was released. Waiting for a new iWeb that supports HTML 5 and can place iAd on personal pages.

If apps were people, iWeb and iDVD would be in the same room hooked up to ventilators waiting to die.

In other words - don't hold your breath.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
...their downloading is going super-slow, which is unusual for Apple. Maybe they are loaded with purchasers.

Ever tried to download e.g. the latest iOS SDK the day it become available for download? Crawling slow. Same for many big anticipated updates. Now for the Mac AppStore: I was lucky to download and playing with it very early morning when most people were still expecting it for around noon, but by now word has spread and I would assume that a big part of the mac community is trying it out.

bigwig

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2005
App Store App has one serious flaw: it doesn't recognize already installed apps. I have MoneyWell and Image Tricks Pro installed and the App Store App doesn't recognize they're installed. It only recognizes Apple apps like iWork. Unfortunately, there seems to be no way to tell it to look for already installed apps, and there's no way I'm clicking the install button for MoneyWell because I'm not going to be a guinea pig to test if the App Store App will see MoneyWell is already installed and thence refuse to charge me.

acprkit

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2008
Gramma'

"We think users are going to love this innovative new way to discover and buy their favorite apps."

Grammer, Steve!

It should be "We think that users are going to love this innovative new way to discover and buy their favorite apps."

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
As a test, I installed Angry Birds on my Mac Pro and then tried to "Buy" it on my MacBook Pro. As I hoped, the Mac App Store recognized that I had already purchased it and offered to let me download it on the MacBook Pro for free.

I'm going to try a third download (and possibly a fourth) on the other Macs in the house. But I suspect there is some limit to the number of installs per account. And that possible limit could vary from app to app.

Very pleased with the Aperture 3 pricing! It will be interesting to see how updates are priced. Free would be good! :) And the Mac App Store recognized that I already had Aperture 3 installed (along with all of the iLife '11 apps, etc.).

Side note: I use Aperture 3 almost daily. I greatly prefer it to using Photoshop. There's a bit of a learning curve, but much of that learning is simplified by just watching the tutorial videos:

http://www.apple.com/aperture/how-to/

Anyway, the Mac App Store looks like a home run for Apple! While I'm sure I'll also get software over the web for some time to come, I think all Mac developers will want to get their apps into the Mac App Store sooner rather than later.

Now the wait starts to see if iAd eventually comes to free apps in the Mac App store! I predict it will! :)

Mark

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Problem I see with shipping an OS through the App Store: What happens when your computer crashes/get a new hard drive? You won't have access to the MAS to reinstall Mac OS X.

The computer should always come up with media to allow recovery to the original state. This is independent of providing OS upgrades via the App Store.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
It's the principle.
There's NOTHING fundamentally preventing access to an app store for 10.5

Do you know that for sure?

Snow Leopard added a ton of new video rendering effects to OS X. Is it possible this new store uses them to animate its menus and scroll around?

I mean, I don't know. But do YOU know? Got any proof that it doesn't do that?

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
One more thing... I've heard that there will be a separate App Store for Tiger and Leopard users: The Dinosaur App Store!

:D

Mark

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
App Store App has one serious flaw: it doesn't recognize already installed apps. I have MoneyWell and Image Tricks Pro installed and the App Store App doesn't recognize they're installed. It only recognizes Apple apps like iWork. Unfortunately, there seems to be no way to tell it to look for already installed apps, and there's no way I'm clicking the install button for MoneyWell because I'm not going to be a guinea pig to test if the App Store App will see MoneyWell is already installed and thence refuse to charge me.

The App Store recognises already installed third-party apps for me...

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
"We think users are going to love this innovative new way to discover and buy their favorite apps."

Grammer, Steve!

It should be "We think that users are going to love this innovative new way to discover and buy their favorite apps."

I doubt Steve Jobs said that. Sounds like PR boiler plate to me.

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
Whats the deal with the Application folders??

Has anyone else's now changed? My main folder [from the Home menu of Finder] has most of my applications, but the 'Application' folder from the SideBar has different applications :mad: And the App Store hasn't recognised my iWork!

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there

Grammer, Steve!

ah, the grammar police is here ....

Did it ever come to your mind that not everyone on this forum is a native english speaker? :eek: Don't know for his case, but at least you were able to understand what he meant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.