Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

logandzwon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Wow, the price on Aperture 3 made me do a double-take. $80 for a great professional program that sells for $199 on the Apple store? I sure hope they keep this type of pricing going. I believe they will as it will most definitely encourage people to download/use the App Store.

I read some of the post in regard to getting errors when downloading apps in the US store...concerned I went ahead and downloaded the free version of Evernote and I had no problem at all downloading. I had to agree to a new Apple agreement but no issues.

I'm loving it!

The only App in iLife I actually use is iPhoto, maybe I'll drop it and get it Aperture.

mikerr

macrumors regular
May 5, 2007
I'm curious to know, are mac apps sold like iOS apps? From your iTunes account and then can are licensed on 5 machines? Or is it one Mac per download?
I know I can use my apps on both my iphone and ipad - so thats 2 devices per app,
does it really extend to 5 devices ?

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Yeah, a great deal. I don't have the words to describe how SCREWED I feel again. I've paid 300 bucks for Aperture and bought every update on the way.

Well, I guess I'm glad for everyone that's getting Aperture for $79. I just bought it at the store literally a week ago for $180. Kind of makes me sick to the stomach. Oh well, I guess I don't really need that extra $100 in my pocket anyway. :eek: :(

Progress. It can be expensive. :(

At least now we know what one of the new features of Windows 8 will be. ;)

studlybw

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2008
Can't change the name of apps

I just downloaded Evernote, because it said I didn't have it installed (even though I did) and it downloaded and installed itself as "Evernote (79826)". I sure as hell don't want those numbers on the end of the name because of my OCD and it won't let me rename it. I tried deleting it completely and just installing the DMG from Evernote again and it requires an admin password to delete it.

Apple now controls my computer! FU Apple!:mad:

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Yeah, a great deal. I don't have the words to describe how SCREWED I feel again. I've paid 300 bucks for Aperture and bought every update on the way.

Probably means that Aperture 3.5/4.0 is on the way. For $199.

Look at what Pixelmator has done. Moved its operation to the Appstore and now no more upgrades (despite what Pixelmator promised on the website) unless you pay for the app again.

Meh. I got it in a bundle. Thankfully, I got Adobe PE 9.0 for £23 at Xmas. Bye, bye Pixelmator.

macridah

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2004
Nor-Cal
lovin' both the update and mac app store so far. OS feels snappier and first app I download was twitter. Got my twitter list, yes!

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
PHYSICAL MEDIA
R.I.P.
January 6, 2011

++ ... I was already at 99% download only, but there were still boxed products that I can get now in the AppStore. Also it got now so much easier - it is amazing how many (not technical) users were overwhelmed with finding stuff online, download it, pay it, punch in registration number. Another thing I really like is that when I move to another machine, I don't have to find the registration number in order to use the software - I just reinstall from the AppStore - sweet.

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Nope - was the first thing I checked, it does not show up in "purchased"

Same here. This is disappointing. It means that we will only be notified of updates for apps that were purchased thru the app store, even though it clearly recognizes apps that you have installed outside the app store.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Hard to imagine that, given the size of the OS releases. Maybe Apple will move to releasing new versions of OSX to USB flash sticks, similar to the recovery module shipped with the MBA?

Problem I see with shipping an OS through the App Store: What happens when your computer crashes/get a new hard drive? You won't have access to the MAS to reinstall Mac OS X.

Happy to see all the people who like the MAS who thought it would be awful. Hopefully a lot of good apps come to it and we'd still be able to access apps that we want that aren't on it.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
It's nice to buy just ONE app from iLife '11 instead of all of them. I never use Garage Band. Why bother paying for it?

If they had Final Cut Express for $79, I'd be all over that. Same with Logic Express. $79 for such a download would be perfect.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
The cheaper Aperture makes sense.

1) You can't "share" it with your friend. Yes, full-out piracy still exists but that's always been a small percentage of users. This attacks that big grey "middle ground" of people who wouldn't outright steal...but still share with that 1 friend you have. That alone could make it worth the lower price for Apple.

2) You can't re-sell it. It's tied to your account. You own it and ONLY you own it. This means less E-Bay sales and more Apple software sales.

3) I'm guessing there won't be upgrade prices for this. Just like iLife has been in the past.

Put all that together and you get $80 instead of $200.

And you know what? I'm ok with all that. #2 and #3 sound bad, but I like the idea of cheap software every year rather than long chain of "very expensive" + upgrade + upgrade + upgrade. It gets tedious to have to keep all this old stuff "just in case I need the last 5 codes for my next upgrade!"

And besides, this is ALL worth it for the fact that I can install this stuff on ALL my Macs without feeling like a criminal! This is the biggest shift here...sell software for USERS, not for MACHINES. I always buy the 'family' pack of stuff when it's available because I feel guilty, but I still feel ilke I'm getting ripped off 'cause I'm sure the single-pack users are putting their software on multiple Macs anyway. Good riddence to that.

And I don't have numbers but I really do think the impact of #1 is huge. I mean REALLY huge. This may end up being even more important for small software companies than it is for a company like Apple. They've had fewer resources to protect their software in the past. The Mac App store may be a gift from heaven to them for this reason alone.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
I'm impressed it noticed Coda was installed. So I guess I'll get updates via the App Store.

Cydonia

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2009
Isle of Man
Error in MAS Solved.

Same on my side...just outside of Philly...All I want to download is Twitter and Angry Birds!!

If you have problems logging into Mac App Store (MAS):

1st sign out from the MAS.
2nd quit MAS.
3d re-boot Mac.
4th Sign back into MAS, everything should then be ok!

Last edited:

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
So, is this the end of paying for updates?

I'm afraid not - my best guess it:
- free minor updates
- full priced major releases (no discount)

Same as on the AppStore for iOS.

But assuming that apps are in general cheaper (and at first glance it looks like that for some apps) it might be a zero sum game (At least I hope so :D )

macridah

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2004
Nor-Cal
was hoping the a new iWork would be released the same time this Mac App Store was released. Waiting for a new iWeb that supports HTML 5 and can place iAd on personal pages.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
I can't download anything I get an error =/
20seyr9.png

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
Have anyone else's Application folders messed up?

The one the shows on the Left of my Finder screen and the Applications folder on my 'Home' screen now have different content! :confused:

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
I've been tying to find the terms and conditions of the Mac app store but haven't had any luck (on iPhone). One of the graphics on TUAW said that apps from the app store are for non-commercial use. Does this mean that you can't (according to the license) use the $79 version of Aperture for a photography business? Maybe this is the reason for the difference in price between the boxed retail version and the app store version? :confused:

Or maybe I'm mistaken and just trying to rationalize my higher cost of Aperture.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.