Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Why doesn't Google make their own mail app for OSX and Windows? They certainly make apps for iOS and Android.

On the desktop we have Mail.app from Apple and Windows Mail and Outlook from Microsoft... plus dozens of 3rd party mail programs.

Why wouldn't Google wanna get in on that?

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I think the fact that people are still having problems with Gmail is a sign... that people need to drop Gmail as quickly as possible. This is the second major company (Microsoft isn't having much luck with Gmail either) that has had to bend over backwards because something "breaks Gmail support".

:|

Oh I see, it's GOOGLE's fault the Apple devs broke something when making Mavericks - it's so clear now, thanks for clearing that up! Google should be doing Apple's regression testing when Apple is developing a new OS?

Its also Google fault they are dropping support for the proprietary Activesync when Microsoft hadnt even bothered with implementing open industry standards such as CardDAV and CalDAV?

----------

How? If major companies keep having trouble with Gmail ... there's a chance it has something to do with their nonstandard IMAP support. If this was just Apple, that'd be one thing. But it isn't just Apple.

You're implying that Google just changed something to break compatibility? So did Mail.app just break on Mountain Lion and below as well? No, it didn't...

----------

That reminds me of the funniest line

"Google is in favor of open standards"

Google is compliant with IMAP standards, but they have also extended them.

Either way, it's pretty funny when apple lovers poke fingers at anyone regarding standards as Apple are one of the biggest culprits when it comes to proprietary standards...

----------

*sources needed

Oh, you know, allowing Apple to have access to search, Youtube and Maps and other services when they had nothing...

----------

Of course Google is quite unlikely to do this, since they earn far more money with users getting their mail through the gmail.com web interface instead of using third party clients. Google is an advertising company after all.

I don't understand this. There are no ads in gmail webmail?

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Who are you kidding? All was working fine pre-mavericks... really fine... doesnt that tell u something?

You're talking to one of the most blind zealots around here...

I'm not kidding anyone, I don't think ... because I'm not kidding. It worked prior to Mavericks because everything worked around their poor IMAP implementation. Now they have to screw standards again and go with Google's poor implementation.

Again... putting the horse before the cart.

So it worked fine pre-Mavericks, Google changed nothing, but it's Google's fault this regression popped up in Apple's new OS and Apple introduced a bug? Riiiigght... Hey I got an iTunes bugfix a few days ago, I suppose Google caused that too?

:rolleyes:

And there is no "poor" IMAP implementation. They are IMAP compliant, they just extend it. ANY email client which supports IMAP will work with GMail, it just might not support the extra features they have implemented via the extensions to IMAP.

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
I think the fact that people are still having problems with Gmail is a sign... that people need to drop Gmail as quickly as possible. This is the second major company (Microsoft isn't having much luck with Gmail either) that has had to bend over backwards because something "breaks Gmail support".

:|

What else should anyone expect from a mailbot that was designed to glean as much info about people as possible.

whootang12

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2011
Moving trashed messages to All Mail

Does anybody know if the issue where deleting a message moves it to Trash and not "All Mail" folder was fixed? Any help would be appreciated.

macred

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2013
LAX & beyond
I am not a Google hater, but that is a very creepy comment! ;)
I neither love or hate any large scale tech company such as Apple, Microsoft or Google. Nor do I fear them.

When the focus turns to Google I refuse to be drawn into the paranoia surrounding their data collection, or the concerns that they are somehow compromising our privacy. After all, for the well read person who values their privacy, sadly we are aware that it's too late, that horse left the barn long ago.

It's big data companies in concert with the insurance industry & big government that makes Google, Apple, Microsoft, et al appear like small players in the invasion of privacy.

"Google is your friend" was said with a bit of dry wit. :)

just1ed

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2010
I can't see the mail update nor the iBooks update in my Software Update. Previous updates like iTunes 11.1.3 worked.

I'm running the MAS version of Mavericks. Any clues?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Why doesn't Google make their own mail app for OSX and Windows? They certainly make apps for iOS and Android.

On the desktop we have Mail.app from Apple and Windows Mail and Outlook from Microsoft... plus dozens of 3rd party mail programs.

Why wouldn't Google wanna get in on that?

Because they want you to live in Chrome and see their ads.

katewes

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
Sad to say ... this is a feature that's been there since at least 10.2 and our company relies on it quite heavily as you can imagine.

Many companies, including mine, will never update an OS until it has had a few point upgrades. I learned from hard experience. I upgraded from Tiger to Leopard on launch day, and my computer became a brick. I barely escaped retrieving my data.

Since then, I've always waited at least until .4 or better still .6 to upgrade. That means waiting about a year.

For Snow Leopard, Lion and Mountain Lion, I watched from the sidelines as the flood of people, who just couldn't wait, dived into the new OS, and struggled with the initial bugs. Why? Why not wait till it gets to .4 or .5 where it's mostly stable?

I am surprised that your business does not follow such conservative practices.

For my business, Apple Mail is critical to daily running, and it'd be rash of me to upgrade to a new OS on its first iteration. I won't be upgrading to Mavericks until at least .4 or .5

I'm not saying that this level of cautiousness is needed for people who just surf the web, send a few social emails etc. but if your business depends on it, this level of cautiousness has its benefits.

Besides, that's hardly anything in Mavericks that I can't wait for at least a year till it gets ultra stable.

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007

someranttyguy

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2013
Smart Mailboxes not fixed.

I eagerly installed the update. All my Smart Mailboxes were giving the wrong unread count. After the update, the problem remains. Does anyone else suffer this problem? Did it fix it for you?

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Because they want you to live in Chrome and see their ads.

But Google allows your GMail to be accessed by 3rd party email clients that don't show ads.

Or are you suggesting that Google purposely messed up GMail in Mavericks to force people to use a web browser instead?

Seems like we stumbled upon the exact reason why Google should make their own desktop email client.

And I'm still baffled by why they haven't already.

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
Non Gmail issues being fixed?

My smart folders still don't work correctly. I have filters which used to filter out mail that had been moved by rules to other folders.

Exclusion filters don't seem to work since Mavericks.

At least the unread count is better now.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
But Google allows your GMail to be accessed by 3rd party email clients that don't show ads.

Or are you suggesting that Google purposely messed up GMail in Mavericks to force people to use a web browser instead?

Seems like we stumbled upon the exact reason why Google should make their own desktop email client.

And I'm still baffled by why they haven't already.

I'm saying they don't care about compatibility with third party apps because they want the website to be the "best experience," as it is where they can show you ads. It's just a consequence of their philosophy, it's not purposefully malicious.
Also, they (rightly) believe that their version of IMAP with labelling is superior. They don't want to make their website worse for the sake of apps that don't make them any money.

Ideally what they should do is make a new IMAP standard that third party apps could adopt, but again, they won't do this as it'll decrease the amount of people visiting the site and their ads.

Aetles

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2002
Sweden

While there are plenty of reasons to drop Gmail since their IMAP implementation is not standard and causes trouble it's still a case of Apple introducing bugs and that's their responsibility to fix.

Apple tried to make Mail work better with Gmail, which is a good thing, but the result was that a lot of people who had no issues with Gmail in Mail in Mountain Lion experienced problems after the update and for that Gmail is not to be blamed.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I'm saying they don't care about compatibility with third party apps because they want the website to be the "best experience," as it is where they can show you ads. It's just a consequence of their philosophy, it's not purposefully malicious.
Also, they (rightly) believe that their version of IMAP with labelling is superior. They don't want to make their website worse for the sake of apps that don't make them any money.

Ideally what they should do is make a new IMAP standard that third party apps could adopt, but again, they won't do this as it'll decrease the amount of people visiting the site and their ads.

Google may think their website offers the "best experience" but more and more people are accessing their GMail from places other than a desktop web browser.

People are using their phones and tablets nowadays... and they're not using their web browser (and as a result... not seeing ads)

I was merely suggesting that for those people who insist on using a desktop email client... why not have an official Google GMail desktop app?

Google could control that experience end-to-end... instead of giving it to Apple, Microsoft, Thunderbird, eM, Zimbra, and others.

I've never even heard of some of the email clients out there... but there's clearly a market for 3rd party desktop email clients.

It seems like Google should be on that list.

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006
I still do not see the update in the store. But when I opened mail it said it was updating. So maybe I have it. What is the version number you all get after you run the update? Or does it just patch and stay the same.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Google may think their website offers the "best experience" but more and more people are accessing their GMail from places other than a desktop web browser.

People are using their phones and tablets nowadays... and they're not using their web browser (and as a result... not seeing ads)

I was merely suggesting that for those people who insist on using a desktop email client... why not have an official Google GMail desktop app?

Google thinks that app is Chrome.

Anyway, I disagree that more people are using apps. On tablets, sure, but on the desktop, normal people use mail in their browser.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.