Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
I still do not see the update in the store. But when I opened mail it said it was updating. So maybe I have it. What is the version number you all get after you run the update? Or does it just patch and stay the same.

Mail shows up as Version 7.0 (1822). I don't know what the build number was before I got the update.

CheesePuff

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Southwest Florida, USA
My Exchange inbox isn't anywhere near as large as that, so it's quite possible that there's an issue with Mail and large Exchange inboxes. If it's you and other co-workers then I wonder if the issue has to do with the way that your office's Exchange server is set up. Do you have any iOS devices, and if so, do you have them configured to use your Exchange email as well? Any issues there?

It's hosted Exchange, i.e. Office 365, so it's directly through Microsoft. I hope they have it setup correctly :)

We do have the same accounts configured on our iOS devices and they work correctly there in Mail, so I know it's a Mail 6.0/7.0 bug(s).

We also moved from a Zimbra mail server hosted in house, which is like Exchange but also uses IMAP, and with the same size mailboxes Mail worked perfectly.

Henriok

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2002
Gothenburg, Sweden
I am surprised that your business does not follow such conservative practices.
We do, and that's why we didn't get widespread issues. We are however Mac and iOS developers and we regularly buy new computers, such as the really nice crop of MacBook Pros. They can only run Mavericks.

----------

Basically OSX Mail in 10.9 will automatically subscribe itself to the WHOLE public folders list, and start downloading the entire database. For our organisation this is multiple terabytes, which obviously does not fit onto our iMacs with SSDs - which then complain about running out of hard disk space. I have submitted bug reports to apple twice already about it. This is a major issue that is preventing us from updating the entire organisation to OS10.9.
Your situation seems to mimic ours. It's nice to hear from someone else that is having the same problem and have reported it to Apple. I have too, under the entire Mavericks beta process, and all reports have been labled "Duplicates" and are still considered "Open".

I really don't know what to do with Apple at this point. Shall I keep sending in bug reports after every relevant update (such as this?) just to have them being adressed as dupes?

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
I would use "Mail" if it would work properly with my Hotmail account, but I don't ever see Microsoft allowing IMAP synching for Hotmail on Mac OS... It's a shame, really.

Hotmail and Outlook.com work with IMAP now. So now you can use it with Mac Mail. Works much better than gmail and Google's messed up proprietary implementation of the open IMAP standard.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Sad to say that this update didn't solve our problem. Apple seem to have removed the feature to unsubscribe to shared IMAP folders. Instead you subscribe to all. At work, it means downloading 5.5 million mail directly after upgrading to Mavericks, and receiving between 1000 and 2000 mail daily. Spotlight seems to have troubles indexing this ammount too so Smart Folders just stopped working in Mail… Sad. this is a feature that's been there since at least 10.2 and our company relies on it quite heavily as you can imagine.

Not trying to be rude here but why would you update a work computer with an unproven new operating system?

Dorv

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2008
Why doesn't Google make their own mail app for OSX and Windows? They certainly make apps for iOS and Android.

On the desktop we have Mail.app from Apple and Windows Mail and Outlook from Microsoft... plus dozens of 3rd party mail programs.

Why wouldn't Google wanna get in on that?

They did ... It's called Chrome :p

----------

Anyway, I disagree that more people are using apps. On tablets, sure, but on the desktop, normal people use mail in their browser.

I think your use of "normal" here is both pejorative and incorrect.

Solublepeter

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2011
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
hope it fixes the addressing

I really hope they have reverted the code that rejects strings of email addresses,

Mavericks Mail cannot use the special contacts created by our "MailShot" iOS app, which the old version of Mail used to.

Fingers crossed...

imanidiot

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2011
Denver, CO
If one doesn't use Gmail, is there any reason to bother with this update? Since upgrading to Mavericks, I'm not sure completely trust it, i.e. I don't want to screw-up the Mail application.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
You're talking to one of the most blind zealots around here...

Again... putting the horse before the cart.

So it worked fine pre-Mavericks, Google changed nothing, but it's Google's fault this regression popped up in Apple's new OS and Apple introduced a bug? Riiiigght... Hey I got an iTunes bugfix a few days ago, I suppose Google caused that too?

:rolleyes:

And there is no "poor" IMAP implementation. They are IMAP compliant, they just extend it. ANY email client which supports IMAP will work with GMail, it just might not support the extra features they have implemented via the extensions to IMAP.

There's really not much point in assigning blame to Google or Apple. Google has email that has an IMAP implementation with additional features that make it difficult for Mail, which is premised on a standard IMAP implementation, to work properly.

One can argue Google should use a "standard" IMAP implementation. Or one can argue that Apple should work with that implementation better.

but it really doesn't matter - the two don't mix well, and create headaches either way. So, regardless of blame, choose your poison - either put up with them, or drop gmail or Mail app.

----------

Yes, Outlook.com does allow for IMAP.

I have it as IMAP in my Mail App.

Indeed, although this is only fairly recent (last few months) - it was a huge negative for adopting outlook.com email for some time.

kguay

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2012
All Mail

Hi,

So I turned on "All Mail" to fix the gmail issue when I upgraded to Mavericks. Does this mail update mean that I can turn "all mail" off in my gmail settings?

Thanks,
Kevin

Henriok

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2002
Gothenburg, Sweden
Not trying to be rude here but why would you update a work computer with an unproven new operating system?
I never said I updated a work computer. I have lab computers on which I've been tracking Mavericks since its infancy, as I always do. This bug, and this bug only, is keeping med from upgrading my work computer and all other user computers at work. I also need to live with bugs so that I can figure out how to mitigate them, so I "live" in both my main computers and my lab computers.
A good portion of my users are Mac, web and/or iOS developers though and they both want and need Mavericks, and every new computer we will buy will have to run Mavericks. The bug is there for these users.
I am supporting freelance workers and consultants too, and I can't force them not to install Mavericks so they will be exposed to this bug when they bring their own Mac to our workplace.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
Why use Mail for gmail ? you dont even get contact in, and if you did it would clutter the icloud contacts. Use sparrow :)

RobT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2007
Ohio, USA
Hi,

So I turned on "All Mail" to fix the gmail issue when I upgraded to Mavericks. Does this mail update mean that I can turn "all mail" off in my gmail settings?

Thanks,
Kevin

I had the G-Mail "All Mail" issue when using Mavericks (first GM). Turned on All Mail to get things working. Tried to install patch, had the issue with it not showing up in software update (due to 1st version GM) and would not manually install either.

I've got it all working now so in case this might help anyone, here goes:

1. Downloaded Mavericks from App Store. It's a 5GB plus file, so it takes a while. It will give a message saying computer already has 10.9, but it will let you continue and download.

2. Run the update just like if you were installing over Mountain Lion, just go through the install process. It may take something like 40 minute to do this.

3. When completed and re-booted, the Mavericks installer is automatically deleted (which is good, as it takes 5+ gig of space). All of my settings, data, etc. remained intact.

4. Check your build number, go to the Apple Menu on the top menu bar, click "About This Mac" and then click on the gray "Version 10.9" directly under OS X. It will change to build number which should now be 13A603

5. Run software update (Apple menu, Software update, you should get mail update 1.0). Install it.

6. At this point I went to G-Mail on the web and removed (unchecked) All Mail from IMAP in the web settings (put it back to the way it was when I was on Mountain Lion).

7. Ran the Mail app and it seems to be working perfectly for me with All Mail turned off again.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Googles your friend.

No, Google is a business. Google is not your friend, Apple is not your friend, Microsoft is not your friend, Canonical is not your friend, Exxon Mobile is not your friend, McDonalds is not your friend. I could go on.

I'm no fan of GMail, but Mac Mail is so lame. Any recommendations?

AirMail is pretty good, but I'm not finding any problems with Mac Mail.

Oh I see, it's GOOGLE's fault the Apple devs broke something when making Mavericks - it's so clear now, thanks for clearing that up! Google should be doing Apple's regression testing when Apple is developing a new OS?

Its also Google fault they are dropping support for the proprietary Activesync when Microsoft hadnt even bothered with implementing open industry standards such as CardDAV and CalDAV?

If you read the other posts, you'd know that some people were having problems with Gmail even before Mavericks. So obviously they didn't just "break something in Mavericks".

----------

You're implying that Google just changed something to break compatibility? So did Mail.app just break on Mountain Lion and below as well? No, it didn't...

So nobody had trouble with Gmail in ML? So the people who said they did are lying? Why?

----------

Google is compliant with IMAP standards, but they have also extended them.

Either way, it's pretty funny when apple lovers poke fingers at anyone regarding standards as Apple are one of the biggest culprits when it comes to proprietary standards...

Embrace, Extend, Extinguish anyone?

----------

Oh, you know, allowing Apple to have access to search, Youtube and Maps and other services when they had nothing...

And if they cut Apple off of most of those, they'd lose a lot of money. Don't act like Google did it because they're the good guys or something. They're a business, and businesses are out to make money. Probably also helps that Apple would have had grounds to a lawsuit if they had cut off search.

----------

I don't understand this. There are no ads in gmail webmail?

Responses in bold.

While there are plenty of reasons to drop Gmail since their IMAP implementation is not standard and causes trouble it's still a case of Apple introducing bugs and that's their responsibility to fix.

Apple tried to make Mail work better with Gmail, which is a good thing, but the result was that a lot of people who had no issues with Gmail in Mail in Mountain Lion experienced problems after the update and for that Gmail is not to be blamed.

No, it's a bad thing. We should all refuse to work with Google until they start working well with others. They're just getting the message that they can do whatever they want and we'll bend over backwards for them.

Zoboomafoo

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2002
I'm still experiencing the same issues as before the "fix"...

Anyone else too?

My issues include not having new mail show up and having to log into iCloud every time you restart the app. Yes, I'm still having the same issues as before. :(

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
Which is the best way to move from Eudora mail on Mac OS X 10.6.8 to Apple Mail on OS X 10.8 or OS X 10.9? Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.