Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jadam

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2002
Dont forget optical audio out on the 17"!!

And the ability to drive a 30" cinema display from a powerbook now!

Nugget

Contributor
Nov 24, 2002
Tejas Hill Country
30" Cinema Display compatibility, too

I notice that the 17" and the faster 15" can drive the 30" Cinema Display, too. That's a pretty big deal (no pun intended) :)

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
Well there is nothing that makes me want to upgrade my 1.33Ghz Powerbook (they even use the same graphics cards as before). Although that new trackpad looks nice, I wonder if you can update the trackpad software on the older powerbooks to support those new features?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Illuminated keys are brighter

I really like the lit keys on my AlBook... but most of the time I turn them off because they're just bright enough to blend in with the silver--unless the room is VERY dark.

Now they've supposedly made the keys brighter. Good!

Ability to drive a 30" display surprises me. But hey, why not?

That 17" is pretty loaded, whatever the Ghz... fiber-optic digital audio in and out with surround sound :)

If nothing else, people who buy now will have a refined and proven "best version" of the G4 PB line. Others may want to play the waiting game and try the first of the G5s... someday.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
well so much for powerbook G5 rumors. . . at least until next tuesday b/c i heard they will have the G5s ready by then!!! j/k!!!!

EDIT---
nice, finally apple is getting a clue. 512MB RAM standard!!!!

jcshas

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2003
I should have known updates were coming soon...I just got a 15" 1.33 GHz in December. Wish they would release a software update to enable trackpad scrolling for all PowerBooks -then I wouldn’t need to use a program called "SideTrack".

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
macgfxdesigner said:
Doesn't make sense that the specs are so close and the price is the same, but the PB blows away the Ibook...

link followed:

http://www.shanegroup.net/huh_apple.jpg

me thinks apple will have a ibook updates up there sleeves

it also looks a little odd tht the powerbooks have 512MB ram standard but the powermac G5's do not :confused:

omegalpha

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2005
Cool!

Great... Price drop is always a good thing! But I don't want a Powerbook! Still waiting for the next PowerMac upgrade.

zac4mac

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2002
near Boulder, CO. USA
Wow, is today Tuesday??

Not a bad update, Freescale's dual core won't be ready till close to the end of 2005, they just got first silicon on the single core a month or two ago, according to a friend at the fab. I guess it's a race between Freescale and IBM to pump out a portable ready dual core; be it a G4 or a G5, I don't care. The ProBooks have to get that distinction over the iBooks.

Z

attic salt

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2005
New York
This was what I was waiting for...but now I'm just oddly confused and not sure what direction to go.

The price drops and added features are tempting...but when is the Paris thing? When is WWDC? Is it worth waiting to see what happens at these? :confused:

itsa

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2004
moot said:
I wonder if this will tempt those who have been waiting to buy a PB?

I for one will continue waiting :p

I will be waiting too... just not enough there to make me upgrade. However... it's a good deal for anyone without a powerbook.
I'm still in hopes for a G5 soon... even if it's another 6months, I can wait.

Kagetenshi

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2004
Boston
All in all I'd say that the extra features now standard combined with the price drop makes this a compelling update. Not compelling enough to jump from my interim iBook yet, but I'm not disappointed with Apple over it.

~J

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
512MB

At least they stuck in 512MB of RAM. Now if they will just put that amount in the Powermac I'd be happy. :(

Let's hope this is the last G4 update and G5s must be Paris in September.

Aaon

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2004
jelloshotsrule said:
how much were the price drops?

It looks like the 12" dropped $100, the 15" and 17" dropped $200 (and please correct me if I'm wrong).

But if you consider the single DIMM of 512mb memory, the 80gb 5400 rpm hard drive (not to mention the speed boost), then the new 15" Powerbook comes out roughly $400 cheaper than a similarly spec'd yesterday's model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.