Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evilernie

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2005
Finally!

Finally! This is exactly what I was waiting for, now all I have to do is convince the wife that I need a 15 inch powerbook....

:D

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
iGary said:
It will be interesting to see how the 1.67 G4 stacks up against the G5, even with the slower bus.
Good point, id like to see the comparison of the G4 1.67 and G5 1.6. that would be very good and interesting read on G5 performance.

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
These look like awfully sweet PowerBooks.

Maybe I ought to think about a 12" PowerBook next time I'm in the need rather than another iBook. Think it's worth the difference? Academic price for a 12" iBook with a 60-gig hard drive, the $45 Bluetooth I'd probably never use so it's just there for comparison, 512MB of RAM, and AppleCare is only $1311 vs. $1638 for the combo-drive 12" PowerBook with AppleCare.

Other differences between the two:

Favoring the PowerBook:
* 300 MHz CPU difference
* Better graphics card with 64 MB RAM on the PowerBook
* Bluetooth 2.0
* DVI
* Dual screen capability without hack
* Scrolling trackpad
* Sudden Motion Sensor
* Smaller
* Lighter

Favoring the iBook:

* Alleged better durability
* Alleged better WiFi
* Price difference of at least $300.

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
Still a little bit too pricey for their performance and features compared to some on the peecee side of things. The 64 video card part is smart as it'll help Tiger along better and 512 base memory deserves a "is Apple finally getting it?!?" comment (answer: probably no). Top model should be $2499 and the lowest one at where the 14" iBook left off IMO. Not bad, but not great. Maybe at WWDC they can drop the dual core G4s in there then we'll really be leaping ahead speed-wise and vs. what the peecee lusers use.

El Duderino

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2004
any one else notice that now when you upgrade your videocard to 128mb, it has dual link DVI included? or is that old news?

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2004
And is this Apple's first line to come with 512 MB standard? Hopefully from now on, all updated lines will switch to 512 standard.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I still don't know why people were thinking G4 Dual Core - especially since Freescale's Roadmap shows these won't appear until later in the year.

At least the PB have a good amount of memory.

Unfortunately, still - too expensive for what they are.

Anyone notice the scrolling on the touch pad - looks like Apple might be using that piece of freeware that did the same thing.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
I'm glad I bought my PowerBook when I did, right after they came out last April... these updates are really pretty minor. If I had waited for a G5, I'd STILL be waiting! :eek: :mad: :D

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
About time with the RAM!! Also, the trackpad thing - would be nice if they released it to all powerbook owners, I'm sure they're still using the same trackpads in all the powerbooks...!

Hob

ASP272

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2004
Nashville, TN
The fully loaded 17" is awesome. Driving the 30" is unreal. The 128mb of video memory is refreshing. The "Thinkpad" upgrades are sweet. Altogether, not just a small speed bump. And price drops. How can you not grab one of these? For me, it's just a matter of cash flow. Darnit!

Deslock

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2004
Educational pricing for 15" with superdrive and 1GB RAM:

$2069 1.5 GHz
$2234 1.67 GHz

Is it worth the extra $165 for the faster CPU? Both come with backlit keys now.

stealthboy

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2004
Northern VA
I've been thinking about getting a PowerBook for a couple of months now. This definitely is encouraging me to get one right away. I've been looking at the 15-inch *without* SuperDrive, so this speed and memory increase for the same price ($1999) is huge.

Perhaps it's time to take a trip to my local Apple store. Thanks, Apple!

El Duderino

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2004
in the educational pricing when you downgrade the 17" from 100gig HD to the 80 it jumps up 10 dollars :eek:

Raveny

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2003
I hope this is not a trend of a cheaper "Power" series...
I want a Powermac/book with no compromises and not a cheap one. They have to be packed with the newest and best technology available. The price is secondary in the "Power" series.
It's better to have a 3000$ 15"PB with more speed etc than a slower 2000$ 15" PB option. I hope the next revision with a G5 will continue the tradition of maxed out laptops (and new materials like liquid metal alloy
:cool:), but if Apple just want to build cheaper PBs...

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
JeffTL said:
Favoring the PowerBook:
* 300 MHz CPU difference
* Better graphics card with 64 MB RAM on the PowerBook
* Bluetooth 2.0
* DVI
* Dual screen capability without hack
* Scrolling trackpad
* Sudden Motion Sensor
* Smaller
* Lighter

Don't forget the ability to use it with the lid closed, with an external monitor and keyboard.... which is what I do about 90 percent of the time. You can't use the iBooks with the lid closed. The PowerBooks also have the PCMCIA slot - and are a much better buy in my opinion.

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
Raveny said:
I hope this is not a trend of a cheaper "Power" series...
I want a Powermac/book with no compromises and not a cheap one. They have to be packed with the newest and best technology available. The price is secondary in the "Power" series.
It's better to have a 3000$ 15"PB with more speed etc than a slower 2000$ 15" PB option. I hope the next revision with a G5 will continue the tradition of maxed out laptops (and new materials like liquid metal alloy
:cool:), but if Apple just want to build cheaper PBs...

I know what you're saying... but I don't think they're goin cheap on us...

Oh, and my powerbook casing IS liquid metal alloy... it melts all the time...? :p

Hob

inlimbo

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2005
Sydney, Australia
More software. Is it a Big deal??? im new to mac and this new PB will be my first mac.

"Software Mail, iChat, Safari, Sherlock, Address Book, QuickTime, iLife (includes iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie HD, GarageBand and iDVD[4]), iSync, iCal, DVD Player, Classic environment, Acrobat Reader, Art Directors Toolkit, EarthLink TotalAccess (includes 30 days of free dial-up service with Earthlink activation), FileMaker Pro Trial, GraphicConverter, OmniGraffle, OmniOutliner, QuickBooks for Mac New User Edition, Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac Test Drive, Zinio Reader, Xcode Developer Tools and Apple Hardware Test"

What is Miccrosoft Office 2004 for Mac Test Drive. Is that like a trail version that going to expire in a month?!?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.