Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thrash

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2005
LA
I ordered mine the day they were released, then my estimated ship time got pulled back to such a ridiculous date that I just went ahead and upgraded it to 15" SD 128VRAM and 100GB HD and another 512 stick from Crucial. My ship time was first 2/22, then I saw the sit yesterday afternoon and it said 2/28, but I still hadn't gotten the email! Then at about 10pm, I got an email that said it shipped!!@@ONEONE11! Minutes later I got the email that said it was delayed til the 28th. It is now sitting at fedex in shanghai supposed to be here on the 17th:D

Floop

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2003
I ordered the new 12" combo the day it was released (31st January), and tweaked it by upping the RAM from the stock 512 to 768MB.

I received mine on the 10th February and am typing this from it!

Hope you receive yours soon!

Floop

bbyrdhouse

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2002
Elm Grove, LA
Hummmm

thrash said:
I ordered mine the day they were released, then my estimated ship time got pulled back to such a ridiculous date that I just went ahead and upgraded it to 15" SD 128VRAM and 100GB HD and another 512 stick from Crucial. My ship time was first 2/22, then I saw the sit yesterday afternoon and it said 2/28, but I still hadn't gotten the email! Then at about 10pm, I got an email that said it shipped!!@@ONEONE11! Minutes later I got the email that said it was delayed til the 28th. It is now sitting at fedex in shanghai supposed to be here on the 17th:D

I couldn't be so lucky. Mine still says "Open" "On or before the 28th"

I called Apple to inquire as to why and just got the usual "Oh shipments were late, blah blah, It could go out earlier, blah blah, We're sorry"

Oh and by the way, yesterday, I recieved, via UPS, my Kensington Auto/Air adaptor yesterday and it was broken when I opened it. Apple said that they would gladly replace for me though.

Has anyone else had trouble with this item before?

Doe

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2005
Well I got an email from apple saying it is actually shipped. Then I went and checked the status of my order on the apple website and I have a tracking number from FedEx. Looks like its in SUZHOU CN and it says it has left. Maybe I will be getting it next week. I cant believe my order was so fast considering I used the ADC discount. :) The funny thing is that apple hasnt charged my check card.

thrash

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2005
LA
bbyrdhouse said:
I couldn't be so lucky. Mine still says "Open" "On or before the 28th"

I called Apple to inquire as to why and just got the usual "Oh shipments were late, blah blah, It could go out earlier, blah blah, We're sorry"

Oh and by the way, yesterday, I recieved, via UPS, my Kensington Auto/Air adaptor yesterday and it was broken when I opened it. Apple said that they would gladly replace for me though.

Has anyone else had trouble with this item before?

Funny, I got my Epson CX4600 printer (from the print out.cash in. rebate) and it arrived without a punched-out usb port..so there was no way to plug it in. Epson took a week to send me return tags from indianapolis, when they have their headquarters about 30mins away in Long Beach. Apple sent me return tags via email, but they cancelled because I have an ADC account (therefore I can't return anything).

I just want my printer. I wouldn't have bought it if it weren't for that damned rebate.

On a lighter note, Fedex has had my package in Shanghai for 1 day and 14 hours. Called Apple and they said it could be that they haven't updated the page. I doubt that since theres no departure scan, and doesn't that happen automatically?

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
thrash said:
On a lighter note, Fedex has had my package in Shanghai for 1 day and 14 hours. Called Apple and they said it could be that they haven't updated the page. I doubt that since theres no departure scan, and doesn't that happen automatically?

FedEx is notorious for not updating over the weekend. So, my guess is that it is on its way and working its way through the system. My guess is that it is already in or on its way to Anchorage.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
Doe said:
The funny thing is that apple hasnt charged my check card.

I ordered a PB, printer, LaCie harddrive, earbuds, and an iSight on a Wednesday. Got all but the PB on a Friday and the PB the following Thursday and my account wasn't charged until the day after I got the PB. Seems sort of weird but....

Dave Marsh

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Sacramento, CA
Speaker Issue

Well folks, I guess I was wrong about my right speaker not working. Initially that's what I thought, so I went to the Sound control panel and tested it. While when I selected the left channel, there was a clear sound strongly from the left, when I selected the right channel, I could still hear sound from the left. That led me to think something was wrong with my right channel. However, later when I was listening to some iTunes music, I could clearly hear different sound coming out of the right speaker in music with strong stereo separation.

What I hadn't considered earlier was that the 15" PowerBook has a third speaker for mid-range sounds (http://www.apple.com/powerbook/specs.html). Unfortunately, this speaker is also on the left side of the laptop. That meant two speakers against one when the sound was monophonic, and the bias to the left side of the laptop.

So, everything is OK. My spouse kidded me about whining about having three speakers, since his Portegé laptop only has one, and he has to cup his hand around it to hear clearly when he's listening to some sounds off the Internet. So, for now, I love this PowerBook. :D

Dave Marsh

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Sacramento, CA
Battery Longevity

Several people have been commenting on how much battery life we can expect from the new 15" PowerBooks, so I've been paying close attention to mine so far. I conditioned the battery on both Friday night and again last night (it's tough to turn it off since I'm having so much fun). Last night I got around two hours while I played Myst IV Revelation in bed. Just surfing the web and using email I'm getting around 2 1/2 hours, so that's a bit disappointing, since my old 14" iBook originally got around 4+ hours, and currently still gets around 3 1/2 hours on a charge.

On the plus side, however, I've also been paying attention to the heat off the bottom of the case that some have complained about. So far, it's not been much of an issue. Currently, the processor/controller temperature off the bottom the laptop is reporting just 83º, although last night it climbed to around 130º while I was playing Myst. However, neither is much of an issue if you've wearing pants in a chair/sofa, or setting it on top of the covers in bed. :p

SurfAddict

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2005
17" speaker question

Now I'm not complaining because they sound pretty good but does anyone know what the speakers are on the 17" does it have the midrange speaker as well if so where is it placed is it under one of the speaker panels. With this much room for speakers I'm sure they could have found space for a dedicated speaker serving as a sub sorry to whine I'm just an audiophile kinda sad I havent been able to find anything on the web other than "well they sound better than most laptop speakers" no real specs

propropro

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2004
Spain
AFAIK, the 17" is the only PB that doesn't come with a third speaker. It has only two stereo speakers. I've also tried to find more information about PB 17" speakers but I haven't found anything yet

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
:( Looks as though I'm going to be in the market for the new powerbook sooner than expected. Someone broke in last night and went out through the window with my 2 month old powerbook. I'm told it's very unlikely to be recovered but Apple have logged it as stolen so no-one's going to get any support.

bbyrdhouse

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2002
Elm Grove, LA
Here it comes!

I woke up this morning to find the following message in my e-mail:

Dear Apple Customer,

Apple is pleased to report that a shipment for the following order is on its way to you.

Web Order Number: W11XXXXXX
PO Number: 318XXXXXXX
Apple Sales Order Number: 7XXXXXXXXX
Apple Delivery Number: 8XXXXXXXXX
Apple Customer Number: 9XXXXX

The following products shipped on 02/14/2005.

Z0B6 PBG4 15/1.67/SD/CTO 1 etc....
This is awesome because I had received an e-mail last week saying that my order had been delayed from the 12th to the 28th.

So I am one happy camper!!!

Ollycd

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2005
good 2 hear news is that , when they are sipping your PB ,
i order mine op 1/17 they changed the order 2 the new version and so a delay started, i can now track my PB since it's in my homeland 2morrow ore the day after the delivery man wil stand b4 mij door , i'll be garding it like a dog :p .

so new versions are finaly shipped good to hear 4 u all

GonzoRob

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2004
well, its only going to be a week late ... This friday is my ETA ... its just arrived at the NL. Perhaps even thursday...

Waiting is annoying :)

GonzoRob

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2004
Dave Marsh said:
Several people have been commenting on how much battery life we can expect from the new 15" PowerBooks, so I've been paying close attention to mine so far. I conditioned the battery on both Friday night and again last night (it's tough to turn it off since I'm having so much fun). Last night I got around two hours while I played Myst IV Revelation in bed. Just surfing the web and using email I'm getting around 2 1/2 hours, so that's a bit disappointing, since my old 14" iBook originally got around 4+ hours, and currently still gets around 3 1/2 hours on a charge.

On the plus side, however, I've also been paying attention to the heat off the bottom of the case that some have complained about. So far, it's not been much of an issue. Currently, the processor/controller temperature off the bottom the laptop is reporting just 83º, although last night it climbed to around 130º while I was playing Myst. However, neither is much of an issue if you've wearing pants in a chair/sofa, or setting it on top of the covers in bed. :p

turn off bluetooth and/or wireless .. might help a bit :)
2.5 hours is a bit crap for general browsing . Have you turned the performace settings down... you dont need many Mhz for running firefox :)

Alex AMG

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2003
Minneapolis
Mine is going to ship on or before feb 28. I am going nuts! I think I am gonna join that "Let's go and fling poo on Apple employees on 1, Infinite Loop" Club.

Doe

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2005
Anyone know how long it will take for my powerbook to get to my house (Twin Cities) from Anchorage? I cant take this suspense much longer. :D

geoffism

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2005
NYC
Alex AMG said:
Mine is going to ship on or before feb 28. I am going nuts! I think I am gonna join that "Let's go and fling poo on Apple employees on 1, Infinite Loop" Club.
Just to give you a spot of good news (optimism), purchased on Jan 31, sheduled to fly on Feb 7, delayed till the 23, then delayed again until 28th, got an email last night (sunday) that it was shipping. There is a fed ex number available, but it brings me no joy.

My guess it is to arrive on thurs or friday.

bbyrdhouse

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2002
Elm Grove, LA
What does it mean when???

As I mentioned earlier my PowerBook has shipped, but when I click on the FedEx tracking number it says:

Not found
No scan record for the following shipments has been received by our system yet. Please try again later or contact Customer Service.

What does that mean?

Apple, don't play with me like that!

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
bbyrdhouse said:
As I mentioned earlier my PowerBook has shipped, but when I click on the FedEx tracking number it says:

Not found
No scan record for the following shipments has been received by our system yet. Please try again later or contact Customer Service.

What does that mean?

Give it till next morning. If it still doesn't appear, check to make sure they haven't given you a UPS or DHL tracking by mistake. It has been known to happen! And if they didn't, you should the store you ordered it from or Apple if you ordered it direct from Apple. All Apple's phone numbers are here:

http://www.apple.com/contact/phone_contacts.html

GonzoRob

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2004
bbyrdhouse said:

Not found

What does that mean?

my pb aparently left china near a week ago (according to the website).. in the NL TNT was supposed to pick it up .. i kept checking the TNT website with the tracking number apple gave me.. and no joy.
So i gave apple a call .. found out today that my PB only left china yesterday. check out the big gap. I think new year celebrations got in the way ...

I would put money that FedEx hasnt recieved your powerbook yet (like TNT hasnt got mine) .. check back in a day or so ...

Shipment Picked Up (CNSHA30) 05 Feb 2005 01:57
Shipment Picked Up (CNSHA02) 05 Feb 2005 04:20
Depart Terminal (CNSHA02) 09 Feb 2005 14:10
Arrive Terminal LUXEMBOURG, LU, LU 14 Feb 2005 12:58 <- BIG GAP
Depart Terminal LUXEMBOURG, LU, LU 14 Feb 2005 14:17

jaromski

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2004
zion
hey advance notice, if you get the 15 or 17 inch model and the screen flickers weird it is a setting under display preferences. it tries to adjust the brightness on the fly using ambient light detection and sometimes it makes the bastard flicker. very annoying, at first i thought the backlight was going out, but after a nice fellow in another thread (chrispy) told me about the setting it patched up the flickering problem instantly.

-jaromski

Ollycd

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2005
i now can track my delivery, finaly, when it whas in my home country i see the status, online, my PB 15 is now in the deliv. truck :D can't wait, i'm like a gaurd dog :p :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.