Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave Marsh

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Sacramento, CA
Hi Floop,
To check the relative startup slowdowns on both my old iBook and my new PowerBook, all I did was perform a search for system.log on each (turn on invisible files), then scan the log to find RESTART and STARTUP COMPLETE. That period takes about 35 seconds on my PowerBook. I copied those two segments into an Excel spreadsheet (side by side), then scanned down the list to the time points when the same event occurred in each startup process. That's how I discovered the 9 second delay in the PowerBook's startup process, compared to the iBook. The pause occurred immediately after it loaded the HCIController stuff (which is the Bluetooth stuff shown in System Profiler).

My simple spin comparison is to simply count full wheel spins during startup on each Mac. What I discovered when I started them up side-by-side was that the wheel spins more rapidly on the new PowerBook compared to the iBook. I've been asking about numbers of wheel spins vice asking people to use a stopwatch because it's much easier, and requires no more effort than to watch the screen for 30 seconds. Clocking any process is too dependent on using the same starting/ending points (e.g., start at press of power button, end at login screen display).

This is a fine laptop so far. I never had a problem of any kind with my iBook, and don't expect to be disappointed with this laptop either. Don't get too caught up in price comparisons with Windows laptops. While some of them definitely use better/newer hardware technology than Apple does, the price is that you have to use Windows. I use a Mac for MacOS X and its user experience.

There have been some new rumors floating about that Apple may be moving to a 1900 x 1200 display (vice 1440 x 900) on their 17" laptops, but that machine is far too big for me to carry around. The 1280 X 854 on my 15" is fine for virtually everything I do, including watching movies and using multiple apps to do stuff. With Exposé screen clutter is not an issue. ;)

bbyrdhouse

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2002
Elm Grove, LA
wheel spins

It consistantly take 16 - 18 wheel spins to start up for me.

I have not stopwatched it though. It starts up just a tad faster than my Dell 4600(WinXP Home SP2), and much much faster than my linux box (Suse 9.2)

geoffism

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2005
NYC
ryanyogan said:
Everyone is always speculating G5 pBook releases and what not. Check monster.com and hotjobs.com Apple has over 125 job openings!! But the ones that really caught my attention where the Thermal engineers and electrical engineers. Basiclly stating we need you to cram one of the hottest chips produced right now into a 3/4" think peace of whatever there next powerbook will be made out of.

That's some funny stuff.

geoffism

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2005
NYC
Built by Hellen Keller

Sorry to be a buzzkill... I was so stoked to get my new 15" rev D PB, they forgot to do two things.

Left out the Airport Extremem card, and both of the USB 2 slots are dead. The wonderful folks and the genuis bar are operating, but they've given me a 30% of success, and more than likely going to have to send it back to Cupertino.

Dammit!!

geoffism

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2005
NYC
Update

New news...

The PMU is on the fritz - it was affecting the USB & Airport Card. So, my PB is going to start logging Frequent Flyer miles.

Here we go... :(

bbyrdhouse

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2002
Elm Grove, LA
I'm Lovin It

Now that I have my new Powerbook working the way I want, I wonder if one of you could help me find a particular wallpaper.

I am looking for the one with a black backround and the Silver X (Panther design)

If you know of where I can download one let me know please.

I really don't want to have to drag out the scanner.

SurfAddict

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2005
Finally choked it

Well first of all I am still waiting for outpost.com to ship my 2 1 Gb sticks so right now I have only 1 GB in there (2 512's). Well I was at work and I had iMovie, iTunes, Safari, iChat, Quicktime, Activity Monitor, and iPhoto running. Basically I was trying to play a movie in fullscreen through iMovie to show my boss and at the same time import 188 raw images from a 8 MP Canon EOS 20D through the PC Card slot in the background. I must say the iMovie was incredibly choppy upfully this will go away when I get my other gig of ram. My boss was laughing at me couldnt believe I could get frustrated cause hes old and this stuff they didnt even dream about being able to do.

diamacibal

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2004
iscroll

Just wondering if any previous generation PB users have checked out iScroll2, available at macupdate? It enables the two-finger scroll on the older trackpads.

dunks.paddler

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2005
Newbie awaits PB

Hi mac newbie anxiously awaiting arrival of new 17"PB (1GB 128mb Graphics). Any suggestions on timescale for deliveries to UK??? Hoping the switch from xp/PC's will live up to expectations!

matt0murdock

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2005
A quick thanks

I just wanted to thank everyone that posted on this thread and those who also post on mac rumors on a regular basis. For a little over a year now I have been using this site to get tons of information regarding purchasing my first mac. I am pleased to announce that yesterday was my mac birthday and I am currently sitting in class at my local college writing this. I purcahsed a powerbook g4 15" with sd and i must say this whole experience was definately worth all the cash and staying indoors for a week constantly checking fedex's website. I can not tell you enough how great this machine really is and it really did breathe a whole new life into computers for me. Again thank you all for the support and information i needed to make the right decison and for sharing the agony of the shipment wait. Take care-
Jason :rolleyes:

BarfBag

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2004
STOP! DON'T PURCHASE YOUR POWERBOOK YET!

I know there was been countless posts about what I am about to say, but this time it's true.

My friend Timothy reports to me that a friend of his brother's called Apple wanting to order a PowerBook. They told him that they are about to discontinue the model, and told him that for $150 more, he could reserve a PowerBook G5 and it would be sent to him within 3 weeks. He didn't hesitate to say yes.

Now please don't flame me, because for all I know, Timothy could be fooling around with me.

Corrupted

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2004
Lewisville, TX
BarfBag said:
I know there was been countless posts about what I am about to say, but this time it's true.

My good friend Timothy reports to me that a friend of his brother's called Apple wanting to order a PowerBook. They told him that they are about to discontinue the model, and told him that for $150 more, he could reserve a PowerBook G5 and it would be sent to him within 3 weeks. He didn't hesitate to say yes.

Now please don't flame me, because for all I know, Timothy could be fooling around with me.

No way they release Powerbook G5 right after a upgrade.

SurfAddict

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2005
Already with the G5 talk

Can we aat least wait till we get to either the 4 month mark or a month before WWDC before we start talking G5's coming next tuesday :) pretty please

adamjay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2004
Indianapolis
i just got my new 12" last week, replaced an 867mhz 12" and man this puppy is fast.

i don't have any buyers remorse, it looks like the 1.67ghz G4's are just as effecient as the 1.6ghz G5's in 32bit apps (look at the average xbench scores for both and you'll see the trends, note the G5's L2 cache not running at full speed). So as far as i'm concerned, the new PB's are as good as a G5 PB would be.

i was sold on the $100 price cut combined with the ram hike and hd speed hike. thank you apple!

BarfBag

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2004
SurfAddict said:
Can we aat least wait till we get to either the 4 month mark or a month before WWDC before we start talking G5's coming next tuesday :) pretty please

Brillant idea.

bbyrdhouse

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2002
Elm Grove, LA
Guest PC

Well I shelled out the $69 bucks for Guest PC hoping that i could run Microsoft Publisher 2003 on it (Because there really isn't a good DTP program for the MAC thats under $250.00) And to my surprise it works quite well.

I installed WinXP Home, then turned off all of the "eye candy" or put it on "best performance" instead of "better visual". It took me about an hour an forty minutes to install, but once it finally installed and loaded it ran pretty quick.

I then installed Publisher 2003 and it too works like a charm. I havn't tried any kind of networking or anything because I really don't need it.

While this solution will hold me over for a while, I really hope that Apple makes Pages to be a bit more user friendly.

qzak

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2005
questions about future 17"

hey guys, question

i'm about to buy a 17" PB and hopefully upgrade to 1gb of ram. i'm taking all art courses next quarter (my college does quarters not semesters), so i'd love to have it around the time the time next quarter starts (March 28th). I noticed most people buy the 15", then the 12" it seems... so will the 17" hopefully not have as long of a wait before it ships out?? I have to wait till March to order it cause of funds.

oh, also whats the best way to go about buying it. i'll be using the student discount so i kinda want to buy it in the store so i can prove i'm a student right there when i order it, but i heard sometimes u can get deals over the phone on like Applecare so i thought about doing it that way?

thanks alot for any suggestions!

tcphoto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
Madison, GA
diamacibal said:
Just wondering if any previous generation PB users have checked out iScroll2, available at macupdate? It enables the two-finger scroll on the older trackpads.

I have a 15" 1.33 running 10.3.8 and installed iscroll2 about 10 days ago. It was a little jumpy until I checked the smooth scroll option in the system preference. :D

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
qzak said:
hey guys, question

i'm about to buy a 17" PB and hopefully upgrade to 1gb of ram. i'm taking all art courses next quarter (my college does quarters not semesters), so i'd love to have it around the time the time next quarter starts (March 28th). I noticed most people buy the 15", then the 12" it seems... so will the 17" hopefully not have as long of a wait before it ships out?? I have to wait till March to order it cause of funds.

oh, also whats the best way to go about buying it. i'll be using the student discount so i kinda want to buy it in the store so i can prove i'm a student right there when i order it, but i heard sometimes u can get deals over the phone on like Applecare so i thought about doing it that way?

thanks alot for any suggestions!

http://www.macprices.com/ covers the various deals you can get. Yes a Student discount may be worth it. You click on the Education link on http://www.apple.com/store/ and find your school's Apple Store link.

I would not buy RAM from any of the places listed on http://www.macprices.com/ including the Apple Store. The high quality RAM vendors are listed here:

http://www.macmaps.com/Macosxspeed.html#RAM which offer a lifetime warranty and cheaper prices than Apple.

Then have a third party reseller install the RAM for you once you receive it, if you are uncomfortable with the instructions on the do it yourself repairs on the right hand side of http://www.apple.com/support/

ASP272

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2004
Nashville, TN
bbyrdhouse said:
I then installed Publisher 2003 and it too works like a charm. I havn't tried any kind of networking or anything because I really don't need it.
While this solution will hold me over for a while, I really hope that Apple makes Pages to be a bit more user friendly.

What? What? WHAT? Dude, if you're doing serious DTP you shouldn't use Publisher or Pages (at least, if you're going to actually print it at a print house somewhere). If you're just making something for the web or something to run off a laser printer you're cool, but don't do Publisher if you're serious about DTP. Secondly, I haven't played with Publisher (because it's crap) but I have played with Pages, and while it has it's bugs, it's VERY easy to use. In fact, I couldn't believe how simple they made a program that can do anything from a basic text document to a full blown newsletter or brochure. I wasn't disappointed with it's usability at all, but it does need more features/themes which I am sure it will get in it's next revision.
Anyway, if you are not printing (at a print house) your DTP work, forget my comments all together. If you are printing at a print house, save a poor pre-press guy some major stress and headache and invest in Quark or Indesign.

attic salt

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2005
New York
I need help from the graphics gurus...

I just got my new PB and right now it's only running with 512MB RAM, but I do plan to go up to 2G as soon as possible.

My question is...

I was working on a file last night in Photoshop that is 36in wide x 24in high and 400 ppi...the thing was taking FOREVER to do anything on the Powerbook...on my dell at work it was faster...so I'm a little upset because I didn't expect the PB to be slower, but could this be a result of the low RAM? Would increasing that make it run faster?

:confused: Please help!

Warp Coil

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2002
MD, USA
Why the Delays?!

So, I ordered a shiny, pretty new 15" PB on 2/11 and was hoping that maybe I might get it within 7-10 days. hahaha.... boy was I wrong. Apple was nice enough to ship me everything else that I ordered (mouse, airport, APP starter kit) but the Apple Store said my PB wouldn' ship until 2/23. Why the long wait? It wasn't built-to-order. Just a stock 15" 1.67 ghz wth superdrive.

So yesterday was 2/23.... it didn't ship. Now the Apple Store says the estimated ship date is 3/4. WTF?! Am I really going to wait a month to get my damn computer?! Sorry for the rant, but I'm a little frustrated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.