Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jb246

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2012
My Mini seems faster

Did the upgrade give back some memory? My mid-2011 Mini is running a lot faster now.

Gryz

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2011
As someone else said, resetting the SMC fixed my battery issue. Was 4:23 on 100% ----- now 7:03 at 94% :D

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Battery life seems pretty good. Updated it about 2 hours ago still 65% left. This is after playing some music for about 20 mins, watching a 6 minute HD trailer and surfing the net.

Gryz

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2011
After resetting SMC, I thought that solved the battery issue...once again it has made its way down to under 4h at 100% :(

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
In every release Apple have SMB problems. Why not use the open source samba and stop trying to make there own.

The performance on SMB shares are very bad.
In my Linux server samba share can get around 100 mb/s on (windows and Linux) and on mac around 20 mb/s lol. In 10.6 i have the same problem. Not solved and i guess never will.

When Apple release a major version they forget the previous version.. Microsoft and Linux distributions don't do that!

GPLv3

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
After resetting SMC, I thought that solved the battery issue...once again it has made its way down to under 4h at 100% :(

When I saw your battery improved significantly post, I started wondering if I have a defective battery... I also did the SMC reset and my battery life hasn't changed at all !!!

Dropped 5% in 15 minutes... now at 95% with 3:47 hrs remaining!!! :mad:

WTF !!!

sflomenb

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2011
My iMac still looses connection when it goes to sleep. I guess I'll have to keep sleep disabled to keep using LogMeIn.

strayts

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
The file size has been different for each of the 4 computers I've installed the update on. Very interesting. Maybe because they're different types of machines?

Kenjancef

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2010
East Providence, RI
Anyone having issues with the Mac App Store trying to download 10.8.1 as a 4.34 gb file instead of JUST the .1 update?

I'm running the latest MBA with 10.8.0.

The Mac App Store gives me a download (instead of update) option, and then warns me that I already have 10.8 installed.

If I press download, it tries to download the whole thing.

Update: Huh. Apparently the .1 update was bundled with an HP update, but the full download of 10.8.1 still shows up in my update section of the Mac App Store. Weird.

I have the same thing, weird. I let it download and install, then rebooted, and it wanted to go through the initial Mountain Lion setup, so I cancelled it. Now I get a persistent "1" in the App store showing an update, and when I check it, it still has the Mountain Lion update waiting for me to download. I've rebooted multiple times, and even checked "About this Mac", and it clearly says 10.8.1.

When I try to download the update through the App store, I get a box that has 2 of the same alerts:

Would you like to continue?

OS X 10.8 is already installed on this computer. Are you sure you want to download it?

OS X 10.8 is already installed on this computer. Are you sure you want to download it?

I get 2 choices: Cancel or continue.

HELP!!!!!!!

rtues-d2

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2012
Arizona
This update is giving my system issues. It won't even download, all it's doing is "waiting" next to the update bar. It's a bit worrying especially since it's been like this for a few hours now.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Weird observation: Now at 90% [ past 30 mins ] and time remaining went up slightly to 5 hrs... :confused:

kd5jos

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Denver, CO
My problem too...

Just updated and it got worse... charged 100%, time left 2:57 hours...ridiculous

Edit: rMBP, standard configuration

MBP 8,2 (purchased Jan this year) has gone from 8 hours to 4 hours to 2 hours with OS upgrades. 9 mo's old and I have 25% of my battery capability? Apple, get your **** together.

inlinevolvo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
The update was just over 7 MB for me (base rMBP).

No noticeable change in UI animations. Update took less than a min to complete all together. No issues to report. At about 40% brightness my estimated time to battery depletion went from an average of 6.5 hrs to 8.15 hrs. Not sure how realistic this is, but that is what she says!

miksterman

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2009
Battery issue wasn't resolved for me.

I've been having the battery issue on my Macbook Pro Retina also. Did the update about a hour ago but no luck in resolving the problem. Hearing reports it does for some but not all. Went to a near by Apple retailer and was told if the update doesn't take that I need to install a fresh ML update from scratch, ugh. But also being from told that may be a defective battery, hopefully not.

Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 16gb ram

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
When I saw your battery improved significantly post, I started wondering if I have a defective battery... I also did the SMC reset and my battery life hasn't changed at all !!!

Dropped 5% in 15 minutes... now at 95% with 3:47 hrs remaining!!! :mad:

WTF !!!

They are estimated times based on ones average usage pattern - this has been addressed multiple times so stop bringing up the same crap over and over again. Now, if you've been USING the laptop for x number of hours and the battery life on REAL WORLD usage has gone down from previous experience THEN there is a battery problem relating to power management.

parish

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK
They are estimated times based on ones average usage pattern - this has been addressed multiple times so stop bringing up the same crap over and over again. Now, if you've been USING the laptop for x number of hours and the battery life on REAL WORLD usage has gone down from previous experience THEN there is a battery problem relating to power management.

Well, it's boosted my battery life :p

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-08-24 at 00.13.34.png
    Screen Shot 2012-08-24 at 00.13.34.png
    38.2 KB · Views: 1,104

Gryz

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2011

Well then the "Average Usage Pattern" time for us reporting the problem is significantly less...and thus results in an overall decrease is "REAL WORLD" battery output.

My battery has dropped from 100% to 65% in 30 min. with only Safari open and browsing this forum.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
The update was just over 7 MB for me (base rMBP).

No noticeable change in UI animations. Update took less than a min to complete all together. No issues to report. At about 40% brightness my estimated time to battery depletion went from an average of 6.5 hrs to 8.15 hrs. Not sure how realistic this is, but that is what she says!

The display showing how long your battery charge is supposed to last is updated every 30 seconds, based on the average amount of energy used during that time. This number will be changing all the time, because the amount of energy you use changes all the time.

l.w41sh

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2009
Florida
Not sure how I feel about my battery life.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-08-23 at 7.27.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-08-23 at 7.27.06 PM.png
    24.5 KB · Views: 1,086

Kr00

Suspended
Jul 21, 2012
Update confusion?

If anybody has a copy of the original Mountain Lion installer anywhere on their Mac, the updater will want to update that too. The full 4.3 Gb file. So if you see this in your Appstore updates after you install the 10.8.1 update, this will explain why.

nirvana101

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2011
What happened to the battery fix...... I'm lucky if I get 3 hours on my MacAir which isn't even 1 year old yet...

jamiek88

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2009
fixed the minimizing to dock I had issue. Even with the global setting on, certain (most) apps wouldn't minimize, they'd disappear and alt tab wouldn't bring them up but the 4 finger up swipe would show them. Weird. Fixed now. Plus I had a big lag from wake to being able to type my password in, never had it under Lion but now fixed under ML. Mid 2011 MBA.

jpitcairn

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2009
any sign of being able to install Mountain Lion via Internet Recovery yet? It still tried to install Lion for me on 10.8.0.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.