Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thinksinc

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2012
After updating, now I can't connect to our Exchange server at all (rejects known-good password.) Anyone else having this problem?

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
There is! But it's kinda hidden and named differently. To use it, you copy the file you want to cut (stick with me), but when you're pasting, hold option. This will change "Paste" in the menus to "Move". cmd-opt-v also works for moving.

My guess as to why Apple does it this way is that cut and paste can be conceptually weird if, for example, you cut something, but then cut something else without pasting the first one. What happened to the first one? Is it back in its original location? Is it gone? Not rocket science, but you can see how it's a little strange. This way, you know the file hasn't moved until you tell it to "move". Of course, this has its own confusion, since you originally hit "copy" in order to "move", but oh well I guess.

OS X is UNIX. Copy (cp) and Move (mv) graphically is the equivalent one does on the command line. Nothing tricky here.

By the way, it's been able to do this since NeXTStep 1.0.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Someone please tell me -- Did the App Store just modify my existing 10.8.0 installer on my hard drive and turn it into a 10.8.1 installer.

The 10.8.0 file was deep in a chain of folders and was renamed to something Apple shouldn't have found!

If this is true this is unacceptable behavior. How do I reinstall 10.8.0 if 10.8.1 is a dud? (Of course I have a backup of the 10.8.0 installer, but.)

Wait...I thought 10.8.0 was a dud. It's now good?

macnisse

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
About 7mb update for my MBA:
+ battery life now way up scoring 9:32 hrs at 98%! :D
- after restart trouble connecting to Time Capsule Wi-Fi despite full range (!?), was solved by connecting to neighboring network then log in again. Anyone else with same experience?

jockeyrob

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2006
Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11"

10.8 before update battery life = 3hrs

10.8.1 battery life after five minutes same apps open = 6 hr :21 min

I'm happy with that.

JH4DC5

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2010
after 10.8.1, I have blue tint all over the system. what a crap !!!!

i noticed this too right after the update. every time my computer switched from the integrated card to the discrete card, the screen the would have a bluish tint. after i restarted my computer it went away:confused:

spacemanspifff

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2010
SPACE
Has anyone gotten a Notification Center notification about the update yet? I've been wondering if you need to be on an admin account for those to work (I run a standard one day-to-day), so I'm curious to see when the notifications start rolling out whether or not I get one.

Hello, I don't know if you'll see this tarryweather, but I thought I'd let you know that I did get a notification centre popup about the update before I read anything on here. Basically the system had already downloaded the update for me and was telling me that I needed to restart to install it. Brilliant!

FYI - I am running an admin account and I have my software update preferences set as in the screenshot attached. Hope this helps. :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-08-23 at 21.45.44.png
    Screen Shot 2012-08-23 at 21.45.44.png
    91.3 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011

holy moly !!..lol

What a small update ..... Though mine was 72MB..Macbook Pro 2012

These are starting to become delta updates like IOS 5. :apple:

Last edited:

jkmags

macrumors member
May 6, 2011
moving from multiple desktops and full screen apps is smooth now,. i guess thats 1 thing.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
I just updated to 10.8.1 but it still says I'm on 10.8.0. Wait...I hit the "not now" button instead of the "restart" button. I also believe a woman's body has ways of shutting down pregnancy after a violent rape. I'm one of the smarter Democrats running for the Senate. Wait... I'm a Republican? It's all good.

jamess109

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2012
United Kingdom
I've upgraded to 10.8.1 but somehow my battery indicator degrades as quick as before (on 10.8) but the hours/minutes are going up. Does this sound right? Have they made the bug even more of a bigger bug? :S

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
moving from multiple desktops and full screen apps is smooth now,. i guess thats 1 thing.

not for me, still a bit laggy.

same with launchpad.

and it still has the slight blur-issue.

havent seen what my full battery life behaviour is like yet.

will be interesting to see if this machine will keep freezing.

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
For anyone getting a full 4.x GB download, you probably have the "install mountain lion" app tucked away somewhere. Check your Applications folder or whatever folder you've backed it up to.

Engan

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2012
Great update!
Have been using my rMBP for over 2 month now and my battery indicator have told me that I get 5-6h on a 100% charge.
After the update I can see a big improvement on this. Now my battery indicator tells me 9-10 hours left (and even 11 hours at some point).

Keep up the good work Apple! :D

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Are you running an admin account, or standard? I run standard day-to-day, which requires typing an admin password to check for updates, so I'm trying to figure out if I'll still get notifications or not.

I run like this too (non admin account), and I didn't get the notification until I had logged in as admin to check for updates.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
Question for anyone that has been dealing with the file organization bug when trying to arrange files in Finder "by Name". Does this update fix that issue?

With 10.8, whenever you arrange files in Finder "by Name", it will deselect that setting constantly, jumbling up your files in goofy stacks.

ivoruest

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2010
Guatemala
10.8.2 is underway and will come pretty quickly. Over the time using my Mac I definitely feel an increase in battery life. It may have not been fixed completely but I do feel battery is draining slower.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.