Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ageha

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
You are standing in on a Ford lot looking for a Mercedes. It simply is not the same in any way. Whether or not it is better is opinion and not relevant to the fact it is NOT A PC. There is not a way to compare them.

Mercedes doesn't ship cars with tape decks anymore.
Of course it's a PC, it's just a x86 computer. You can install Windows, Linux or whatever on it and you can install OSX on every PC as well.

Say What??

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2008
I'm buying a pro this fall. Does anyone know when the next update should come based on patterns of previous years?

haha I know this is jumping the gun a bit :D

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Apparently you are not quite understanding of the fact Apple is not a PC and does not conform to PC standards or pricing. This is APPLE, not IBM, nor Dell, nor anyone else.

You are standing in on a Ford lot looking for a Mercedes. It simply is not the same in any way. Whether or not it is better is opinion and not relevant to the fact it is NOT A PC. There is not a way to compare them.

....and yes..... this is budget pricing for an APPLE laptop.

Quite frankly I think they should raise the prices to get rid of all the windblow converts coming off the IBM and dell machines so it can have it's exclusiveness back. It's like the whole trailer park has invaded the country club.

....though I feel they are indeed making more than enough off of them already, sometimes it is a matter of preservation.

That is like me saying that Apple should go back to IBM and leave the x86 arch to the "trailer park folk". Very uncalled for. If Apple is to increase its market share they need the convert PC people, whom will compare the Apple notebook to *gasp* a PC from Dell. And with Apple using x86 arch that is what is going to happen.

asdavis10

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
Bermuda
Apparently you are not quite understanding of the fact Apple is not a PC and does not conform to PC standards or pricing. This is APPLE, not IBM, nor Dell, nor anyone else.

Quite frankly I think they should raise the prices to get rid of all the windblow converts coming off the IBM and dell machines so it can have it's exclusiveness back. It's like the whole trailer park has invaded the country club.

....though I feel they are indeed making more than enough off of them already, sometimes it is a matter of preservation.

Thank you for pointing that out. Apple is not the everyday consumer computer. Low end Apple products are priced higher than low end PC products. But customize a PC with the same specs as a Mac and your basically looking at identical systems just with different OS's. And OSX is the best OS hands down (not up for debate). I like your Ford to Mercedes point. LOL. Sorry that Macs aren't cheaper. Maybe some day they will be as Apple continues to gain market share, but that is not today. If anyone is looking for a low end Mac, you should consider getting a Mac mini which still has better specs than most entry level PC's and use the peripherals you already have.

alexbo

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2006
Ellensburg, WA

That would be an awesome analogy if not for the fact that all these computer parts were coming from the same exact sources, regardless of who assembles it an slaps their name on it. If Dell/Ford uses the exact same Intel CPU/Engine and NVidia GPU/Supercharger as Apple/Mercedes, but for half the price, suddenly Ford's looking pretty good! What Apple still has though is superior design. I love my iPhone and I was willing to pay a premium for the design over its competitors. Unfortunately, I don't feel the same way about the Macbook.

Leaving out multimedia messaging in my phone was no big deal, but leaving out a graphics card in my laptop is unacceptable. Superior case design or not, I just can't ignore the complete lack of value in the Macbook. I guess I have to stay with my Nvidia+Intel-powered Ford, at least until Mercedes starts using better hardware again.

Ducati and Ferrari deserve to charge a premium for their products because they are engineered better from the ground up. Computers simply don't work that way, and the analogy just doesn't hold water. We're talking about paying a huge premium for relatively minor (IMO) things like case design, and the all-important privilege of using OSX.

I'm not sure if any of those analogies make sense.:D

AlmightyG5

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2005
I'm buying a pro this fall. Does anyone know when the next update should come based on patterns of previous years?

Ya...Im hoping there is some sort of update between may and july so I can get a new macbook fro college...But knowing apple they will get rid of all their stock by doing that back to school promotion w the iPod and then first week of september they will update thier whole lineup...

lostfan916

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2007
NorCal
Having the latest and greatest was fun while it lasted... ;)

Gah, the technology game is so bitter sweet... you get something great and 4 months later it's not "new." Oh well, I still love my baybee.

It makes sense that they put the touch gestures in the upper models, although I would've liked to see it in the Macbook. Guess that that feature is a "pro" thing... oh well.

BigPana

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2008

Oh yeah, that's why there's still so much hate for mac people...

crazyskillz07

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2008
So my refurbished 2.2GHz white macbook is going to be here tomarrow. I thought about getting the 100 dollars back from apple but I called them up and asked for a shipping label instead. I am going to spend the extra 100 dollars and get the 2.4Ghz white macbook. Plus, it will make my first mac experience better with the new box stuff. I don't really care about the box though, I am just happy that I won't have buyers remorse the first day I get the macbook.

john789

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2007
Portland, OR
Why!!!!?!?!?!?

NOOOOOO BAD APPLE!!!!!!! I just got my Macbook last thanksgiving!! and now there are new ones!?!?!? mine is 160gb 1GB mem Black model.....Nooooooo Noooooooooo Noooooooo it feels old now......outdated!!!!! nooooooooo BAD STEVE JOBS!!!! THAT WAS A BAD JOB!!! :confused::eek::mad:

one1

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Mercedes doesn't ship cars with tape decks anymore.

(actually they do)

I've driven Mercedes for the last few years and just went last week to find my CLK's replacement, which I found....... a tape deck in three different models ;)

Mac's command a premium in the same way the VIP products command a premium. The day I drive through a trailer park and see Apple stickers on everyone's cars I'll re-visit that statement. Those aren't my rules, that is the way Apple zealots have wanted it since it's inception.

Can anyone find a good reason to pay $300 for an air freshener from junction produce? No, but if you have one... you get the VIP cookie. (personally I wouldn't)

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”

:p

With my iBook G3, I used to be the only person in the coffee shop with a Mac.

I walked into a coffee shop one day with a Windows laptop and everyone else there had a Mac... :eek:

I remember going into the Apple Store to check out the Snow iMac G3 and I was one of only a few people. Now try walking into an Apple store, if you can actually fit inside...

It's just more "consumers" buying Macs. The people, still who buy the cheapest, will always get the cheapest PC, and the Windows Fans, well, they will always buy a Windows PC.

Raise prices? They don't have to - not with everyone else's prices going down around them.

jasonklee

Suspended
Dec 7, 2007
Which is hardly a bad machine at all. There is very little real world difference between 2.16 GHz and 2.4 GHz. Especially when the slower processor is in the overall better notebook, the MacBook Pro. Be happy with your purchase, it's not like it's a bad machine by any stretch of the imagination.

Oh I know, it's just that, after a year with this machine, I think a MacBook would've been better for me, since all I do is write for a living, and a MacBook is a bit more portable.

lostfan916

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2007
NorCal
NOOOOOO BAD APPLE!!!!!!! I just got my Macbook last thanksgiving!! and now there are new ones!?!?!? mine is 160gb 1GB mem Black model.....Nooooooo Noooooooooo Noooooooo it feels old now......outdated!!!!! nooooooooo BAD STEVE JOBS!!!! THAT WAS A BAD JOB!!! :confused::eek::mad:
Come on! We still got a great machine. Look on the bright side, you could still be stuck with NO macbook. Imagine the past 3 months without having a Macbook... *shudders*

Yea, it sucks... If I would've waited I'd be getting 40 more GB and 1GB more of memory... but I can easily upgrade the RAM and get an external drive. And I got an excellent deal on Black Friday.

Be happy you're one of the few folks who are enjoying the amazing producrs that are Macbooks.
:D

one1

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN

There is nothing wrong with your machine in any way. I've said it before and I'll repeat again..... there's not much more they can do to help a MacBook. It is limited by it's graphics capability and no matter how much ram you shove into it and how fast the processor is, it's not going anywhere beyond it's bottleneck capabilities in it's graphics "on board" card.

The Rev A was more than enough for the graphics it is capable of doing, the newer Macbooks cards are better, but these tiny little increases are just milking the cow. It's already as good as it is reasonably going to get until they stick a card in there that can compete with it's processor and ram.

They do not seem interested in letting it catch up to it's big brother so until they do a major revision everyone with a MacBook is playing on the same field with only mild advantages.

iBook to MacBook = Upgrade
PowerBook to MacBook Pro = Upgrade
MacBook to MacBook = Meh............

john789

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2007
Portland, OR
Come on! We still got a great machine. Look on the bright side, you could still be stuck with NO macbook. Imagine the past 3 months without having a Macbook... *shudders*

Yea, it sucks... If I would've waited I'd be getting 40 more GB and 1GB more of memory... but I can easily upgrade the RAM and get an external drive. And I got an excellent deal on Black Friday.

Be happy you're one of the few folks who are enjoying the amazing producrs that are Macbooks.
:D

You got yours on black friday!? HAHA me too!!! Yeah i cant imagine the last 4 months without my Macbook......But still.....ohh well.....ill just need to get over it.....still Grr apple......but....../me huggles his own Macbook.

lostfan916

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2007
NorCal
You got yours on black friday!? HAHA me too!!! Yeah i cant imagine the last 4 months without my Macbook......But still.....ohh well.....ill just need to get over it.....still Grr apple......but....../me huggles his own Macbook.
Haha yes. The Apple Store was HELL! But the guy gave me the student discount on Apple care (even though I'm a Senior in HS) and I got Microsoft Office for $100 less, and free Office '08, and a bag for like half off, it doesn't get any better than that.

I know, I was happy for the updates (no more MBP threads!!!) but at the same time still a little bummed. But that's the way the game goes :cool:

ZorPrime

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2005
Los Angeles

I'm in the same boat, my last-gen 17" Powerbook is planning its retirement to my Macs of the Past collection. I've been in denial but I'm ready... sniff sniff... to let PPC go. :eek:

cb311

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2008
This is bad news.. I just ordered 2 new MB from macconnection on monday. It will arrive tomorrow. checked their return policy and there is a 15% restocking fee. Its not worth returning both. I will probably just learn to live with this horrible timing. What are my other options?

jfremani

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2008
What about the firewire chipset? Is it still the horrific Agere chipset that doesnt work very well with pro audio and video interfaces? Apple refuses to acknowledge this problem.

john789

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2007
Portland, OR
Wow!

Haha yes. The Apple Store was HELL! But the guy gave me the student discount on Apple care (even though I'm a Senior in HS) and I got Microsoft Office for $100 less, and free Office '08, and a bag for like half off, it doesn't get any better than that.

I know, I was happy for the updates (no more MBP threads!!!) but at the same time still a little bummed. But that's the way the game goes :cool:

Wow! You got an AWESOME deal with Office there!! I Want office and i need it really bad. :confused::confused: Anyways..YEAH no more MBP convos again!!! i was getting sick of those......and like im not even rich to get those. LOL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.