Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ianogden

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2006
London
Every device goes off when I receive a message now, and that is kinda annoying. Before, my iPad and iPhone would go off together. Apple maybe should look into device recognition, so it recognises that I'm on my mac and just updates the messages on other devices without an alert tone. Same with iPad and iPhone.

Surely this will have been thought about, given that Apple HQ is full of these devices. Their offices must have rung with sound of iDevices whilst testing this app.

Loving it though.

Karpfish

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2006
Absolutely useless until Apple can include the ability to send from your phone number and not a damn email address.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Absolutely useless until Apple can include the ability to send from your phone number and not a damn email address.

According to The Verge, Apple is aware of this issue. You can sort of get around it by setting your email address as the caller ID on your iPhone, but this will only work for texts people reply to.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
doesnt work for me, it either pretends to be sending then it turnes into a red ! or it wont even recognize my friends who certainly use iMessage.

Last edited:

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
If another iMessage user texts me from their iPhone and sends it to my phone number will it come to iMessage on my my Mac? Or do they have to send their text to my email address?

(never mind... just saw that it only works if messaged to your email. :rolleyes:)

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Every device goes off when I receive a message now, and that is kinda annoying. Before, my iPad and iPhone would go off together. Apple maybe should look into device recognition, so it recognises that I'm on my mac and just updates the messages on other devices without an alert tone. Same with iPad and iPhone.

Surely this will have been thought about, given that Apple HQ is full of these devices. Their offices must have rung with sound of iDevices whilst testing this app.

Loving it though.

go to the messages settings on the iPhone and log out off your apple id then it wont go off if someone writes to your iPad

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
Anyone notice that on Apple's OSX Mountain Lion page, there's not a single picture of a Mac Pro?

Clearly, "trucks" will play little (or no) role in Apple's future.

I think it's mostly... what is the point of showing the mac pro? It doesn't have an integrated screen. They are showcasing the software, not the hardware. It'd be better for them to have the ACD, but that doesn't make sense either cuz why not just show an iMac. Point being, not showing a Mac Pro means nothing.

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
I've just set this up no my MBA and a little surprised to find that it didn't pull down all of my current iMessages or at least try and carry out a sync of some sort.

Although iMessages is kludgy at the best of times (some messages don't appear on iPhone and iPad... so conversations are broken). I would much prefer it if iCloud simply synced all messages regardless of whether they were sent as text or iMessage. And if you're on a non cellular device )i.e. wifi only iPad or iTouch) you can only reply if the device actually detects the respondent has iMessage / this new messenger app.

It's your setup. It's the fact that you're receiving on your phone # & and apple id. if you set your message setting on your phone for apple id only, then everything will work great. I had same problem but soon realized my error.

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
This exact same thing is happening to me as well. the messages are syncing across both devices, but not showing up in notification center on my iPhone.

Don't know if this is pertinent, but i seem to be using the exact same computer and phone as you.

I'd say 99% chance is it's on purpose. Why would you want it to show up in notifications if you read the message on your mac?

MichaelMidnight

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008
Los Angeles
Has anyone been stuck on the Messages Beta app when it tries to login using an Apple ID? I usually have the same problem on my iPhone and iPad but I was able to get around it by changing my DNS servers to 9.9.9.9. And I don't know if it's the same problem or since everyone is trying the app at the same time and servers are bombarded.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Ive downloaded logged in etc and then just started imessaging my wife on my iphone .. nothing appeared on my Mac?

Your phone messages won't show on your mac if you have your iMessage caller ID on your phone set to your phone number. That phone number is not associated with your AppleID, just with your phone. You can associate other e-mail addresses with your AppleID and I have done that, since my AppleID is not the primary email address that my contacts know me by. Then I set my caller ID for iMessage on my phone to that email address list. I also set iMessage mac up to use that e-mail address by adding additional e-mail addresses in the settings. Now anyone I iMessage from my phone also shows up on my mac.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Looks like I wont be getting the beta...requires 10.7.3. No way in hell am I installing that cockup on my machine.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I posted this in the Mac OS X board but it's relevant here...

Unfortunately, in my field of work I'm forced to use a PC in the office. By making Messages a standalone app, I won't be able to iMessage with my friends and colleagues on my computer and will still have to use my iPhone.

It would have been awesome if Apple included iMessage as part of their iCloud web interface (even if they also created the standalone app for Macs). This would have allowed people using any computer in the world (even as a guest) to interact with their iMessage contacts. I thought this was the route Apple was going to take so I'm a little disappointed with the news this morning.

totally agree and wished this months back. would have been easy, sure not as instant but sometimes you want to just send a message to someone and easier to type on a larger keypad.

clcnyc

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
NYC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I use iChat a lot. A friend and I use the iChat theater function to stream movies and tv shows to each other. Can someone share with me if there's still something like that with this new iMessages for Mac? Thanks!

NOPE. They removed that for some odd reason. I didn't use it a lot, but it was cool. They do, however still have screen sharing.

davids8477

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2008
Emoticons

Odd - If I send and emoticon from my phone it shows up as expected on my Mac. Sending form my Mac shows up on my Iphone and the text equivalent.

Must be using a different set I guess.

mactmaster

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
Well lack of MSN support will keep Adium going for at least a couple more years...

Seriously Apple if they can add msn support why can't you?:rolleyes:

Actually iChat and now Messages supports 3rd party protocol plugins. It's quite feasable for Microsoft to write a plugin to support MSN chat but I'm sure they'd rather try to push their own dedicated client.

----------

When a friend iMessages me, the iMessage my phone number, NOT my Apple ID.

With Messages for Mac, you don't have a choice but to send from your Apple ID, creating two separate conversations or threads in Messages on iOS.

If you're iMessaging somebody on a Mac from your iPhone, and you lose your 3G or WiFi data connection (every so often you'll see that message that says "Sent as text message") you're screwed. Without a data connection, you can't reply to somebody using Messages for Mac, because it goes through the iMessage protocol.

Apple should find a way to integrate your phone number in iMessage for Mac (and iPad and iPod touch provided the user has an iPhone) so there are no double-conversations in the iOS version of Messages.

This would be good, for now you can simply start using Apple ID only. Tell your friends to stop iMessaging and FaceTiming your Phone# and give them your Apple ID address instead. Register the email on your phone and set it as your caller id.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.