Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Josheh

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2008
Well you have to remember that the iMac also uses laptop guts and mobile GPUs in just as a skinny/cramped/heated environment now as the Retina does. If you've seen the new iMac enclosure, you realize just how cramped they have everything on that board.

I could understand if the iMac used desktop GPUs but it doesnt. It uses the mobile chipset.

It has the ability to do the higher end motion graphics and runs circles around the 'Retina' laptop because it has the 2GB NVidia GTX chipset vs the 1 GB GT chipset. So if they can pull that off in the iMac and that isn't a 'Pro' machine with just how ridiculously thin that thing is, then they can pull it off in the Retina.

That's the issue. A 'Pro' moniker is attached to the laptop while the 'average' user machine doesn't have 'Pro' in it's name, yet has the better 'Pro' specs by a long shot. The most important thing is the GPU for a 'Pro' machine.

I really believe Gen2 will have the 2GB card and Gen1 was literally a 'test' machine.

As for the case, I like the weight of the old case/thickness...makes the machine feel more grounded on the desktop.

Well, The Macbook Retina predates the latest imacs. Even so though, a 21inch frame, a 27inch frame, even if thin, it provides more space than the slender Macbook Retina does. I would expect the next version of the Retina to carry a bump in graphic specs, but I don't see such a show stopping problem as you seem to think there is. I think it still fully qualifies as having the pro tag added to it. You're expecting it to be something it isn't. Just because it doesn't meet your unrealistic expectations doesn't mean it isn't worthy of the title pro. In the terms of laptops, it is a pro model. It's highend. Remember, the low end Macbook only has Intel graphics. Pc laptops of comparable price might have as nice of graphics as the highend Macbook models, but for any number of other reasons they'd still fall short. You need to de-attach yourself from this idea that a laptop is a desktop.

What I do for my day job though, I wouldn't do it on an iMac. I wouldn't even do it on the MacPro, which, well, is a bit underpowered by today's standards. Apple doesn't currently make a piece of hardware that compares to the workstation sitting down by my legs. We'll see if they ever decide to update the MacPro

TL;DR Get a grip man, it's a laptop, not a desktop.

Gator Bob

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
I just installed the SMC and 10.8.3 updates. At first blush Safari seems to be much faster. No benchmarks, just my impression. 2012 Retina MacBook pro 16 GB RAM, 2.6 GHz I7.

Josheh

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2008
Also, Ryth, something you really need to realize is what you do isn't that extensive of a market. There are a lot of professionals out there where the Macbook Retina is a fully capable computer. Neither is the Macbook Retina marketed to people doing visual effects. Anyone that does visual effects seriously, I don't know why they'd want to do it on a laptop. It seems to me it's mainly marketed towards photographers, graphic designers, video editors? And such.

By the way. Simply amazing for photography. I always hated laptops for viewing photos because of how low res the screens always felt. This laptop solves that problem easily. Graphic design / Photography may be my side job, but I still wanted a professional quality laptop for it. Turns out I got what I wanted. I dock it to dual screen monitors at home and whisk it away with me while I'm with clients. I use it for all my non-work needs too like games, movies, web surfing, researching, writing, youtube watching. Hasn't let me down for any of those task.

mdorais

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
Has anyone run World of Warcraft on a rMBP after this update? I'm curious what fps people are seeing now.

mdbell26

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
You know, I read up a lot and saw a lot of people complaining about various problems. I dove in anyway and haven't had near the issues that others have had. Actually, I haven't had any issues really. I'm not sure where you guys are getting your opinions, if they're based on people complaining, or if they're first hand experiences. Let me share mine with you though, my first hand experience.

I purchased the Retina model because I thought it'd be great for photography. I do photography, web design, photoshop, and 3d work on this computer. It's amazing and has worked great in all of those capacities. I use it while mobile, and I also connect it into a couple of monitors and use it as a work station. It has performed well, about as well as a highend laptop might. It may not perform as well as my workstation at work, but well, that's a workstation. It's beefy, it's got the room to be beefy, it's not trying to compact itself into a portable fashion.

I'm sorry that you feel the Macbook Retina is so crappy of a product, but some of us have found it to be successful. I enjoy this computer and have no regrets. I've had no issues that made me think this product is beta, or whatever.

I couldn't agree more. It's the nicest machine I've ever owned, and impressively thin. I haven't had one problem out of it. *knock on wood*

peteullo

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2009
Scranton, PA
Maybe it's just me but I feel like the overall feel of all the GPU functions is much smoother than before. Then again I could be having a Safari is snappier moment :p

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Also, Ryth, something you really need to realize is what you do isn't that extensive of a market. There are a lot of professionals out there where the Macbook Retina is a fully capable computer. Neither is the Macbook Retina marketed to people doing visual effects. Anyone that does visual effects seriously, I don't know why they'd want to do it on a laptop. It seems to me it's mainly marketed towards photographers, graphic designers, video editors? And such.

By the way. Simply amazing for photography. I always hated laptops for viewing photos because of how low res the screens always felt. This laptop solves that problem easily. Graphic design / Photography may be my side job, but I still wanted a professional quality laptop for it. Turns out I got what I wanted. I dock it to dual screen monitors at home and whisk it away with me while I'm with clients. I use it for all my non-work needs too like games, movies, web surfing, researching, writing, youtube watching. Hasn't let me down for any of those task.

Well the reason we need laptops is that in this day and age we are being required to be on site more and even mobile within our own offices, suites and so on. For a freelancer, it's even more important (though I'm not one).

I don't think a 2GB GPU or even the better GTX is asking a lot or out of the question, especially for the pricetag of the Retina. The Alienware laptops have them and they cost just as much as the Retina.

I don't think at all I'm being unrealistic or ridiculous about it.

With the apps and media nowadays (and the minimum 1GB requirement from Adobe listed for most apps) and the move away from the desktop (even Apple is doing it), I don't think it's much to ask that the most expensive and top of the line machine they currently offer should have the best GPU in it.

akf2000

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
I just downloaded it. Everything went flawless, except for one thing. Restarting. The fans blasted as the computer started up again, lasted a second or two but other than that, it was fine.

i had this as well, must be some calibration thing

DaveNinja

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
Has anyone run World of Warcraft on a rMBP after this update? I'm curious what fps people are seeing now.

They should be the same as when you play WoW right after resetting the SMC, like 45-70fps on high at full res

Sir Al

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2005
Vancouver, Canada
Agreed on the GPU...ridiculous it has not only a mid line mobile GPU (GT vs GTX) but it's only 1GB vs 2GB (required for most Adobe/VCP applications).
Although I agree that 1GB of video memory is a bit outdated, it is sufficient for me as I have not run into any hindrances to what applications I want to use or any performance bottlenecks so far. Sure it is nice to have 2GB on paper, but practically I haven't had the need for it - and I consider myself a pro user. Not all pro users use Adobe. I do use Photoshop but I haven't found the need for 2GB yet.

It might be a "mid-line" mobile GPU, but have you seen the laptops that have the high end models and how hot they get, how much power they use? I think the MacBook Retina model is the thinnest laptop that has a GPU as powerful as this - most "slim" laptops get away with Intel GPUs. This was the case when it came out and I think this is the case still today. If we had something more powerful we'd find something else to complain about: the battery life, the heat, the weight (due to extra heatsinks/size), how the thickness is not "revolutionary" (because it'd have to be thicker). You don't think Apple would include a better GPU (at least as a BTO option) if they could? It would be more money for them, of course they'd do it if they could. But they couldn't because of power/heat/space restrictions. Either it wouldn't fit into the same chassis, it would get too hot or the battery would not last long enough (or a combination of these).

moxxey

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
retina 15" = weak GPU, weak CPU, riddled with bugs

gen 2 retina 15" will be glorious

Some people are simply fools. Do you really believe (a relative minor) Haswell upgrade will bring 'glory' or offer much above the Jan 2013 rev. retina MBPs? I don't think so.

I own a rev.1 retina MBP and it's the best laptop I've ever owned. Superb, in every aspect. I've long since ditched my 27" quad-core iMac and use this 15" retina MBP for all my work.

I'm positive some geeks just spend way too long reading negativity on forums and build a (false) position based on what they've read. Most people complain. That's why they bother posting. You overlook the thousands of happy and contented retina MBP users out there.

hfmuehleisen

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2013
Warning

Just a quick heads up: I just installed the SMC update and the OSX update on my 15'' Retina MBP. Unfortunately, that broke something, unable to boot the OS. Reinstalling atm :(

It may be a good idea to install these separately.

(Writing from iPad)

superpalmtree

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2009
North Dakota
Some people are simply fools. Do you really believe (a relative minor) Haswell upgrade will bring 'glory' or offer much above the Jan 2013 rev. retina MBPs? I don't think so.

I own a rev.1 retina MBP and it's the best laptop I've ever owned. Superb, in every aspect. I've long since ditched my 27" quad-core iMac and use this 15" retina MBP for all my work.

I'm positive some geeks just spend way too long reading negativity on forums and build a (false) position based on what they've read. Most people complain. That's why they bother posting. You overlook the thousands of happy and contented retina MBP users out there.

I too ditched my 27" iMac Quad Core months ago and have used my RMBP to run a company with no complaints.

Back to the latest update: It has fixed my facebook lag issue, my app store sluggish performance is now gone, Safari is FAST on all websites now, and the general feel of the laptop is more precise. THANK YOU! About damn time.

MyRumors

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2009
My FPS in Starcraft 2 went up enormously after this update!
I can now play at 60fps at native res on medium setting.
(at the starting point)
Before I had to play at 1440x to get the same FPS!

Simcity under Bootcamp:

Before update i played at 1280x medium.
Now i play at 1680x ultra,
and its MORE smooth!

Last edited:

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
exactly, this is why I avoid 1st gen hardware from apple

retina 15" = weak GPU, weak CPU, riddled with bugs

Weak integrated GPU. 650m is good for a laptop this thin. Weak CPU? You've got to be kidding right? Riddled with bugs? I've not had a single problem with my Early 2013.

Maybe the Mid 2012s were buggy but I think it's pretty safe to buy now if you need one, otherwise wait for the next update. I couldn't wait and my machine is flawless and better than expected in so many ways (and I had high expectations). I couldn't be happier.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011

No one is talking about Haswell, we're talking about the Nvidia GPU...not onboard graphics that come with the CPU.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Just installed today's SMC update http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1559, and a quick scan of sites that exhibited the jerky scrolling are now silky smooth (the sites were from memory, so this is somewhat anecdotal).

I haven't installed 10.8.3, yet, but they have also addressed zoomed scrolling performance in Safari.

plasticphyte

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2009
I do a fair amount of work with my 15" MBPr (SanDisk SSD) in clamshell mode, rarely using it as a normal laptop, and so far this SMC update seems to have been effective, however as I use this laptop more as a desktop replacement, and I do typically a fair amount of VM based work, and package creation for software deployments. As a result, the fans in my laptop do have a tendency to spin up regularly, especially when building 5GB+ packages.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012

the weak GPU for a 15" retina display is a fact, the stuttering and lag noticed IN ALL major publication reviews of the laptop pointed out the weak GPU

you seem to be on the defensive

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.