Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
What's the Safari build number for this update?

From my About option on Yosemite, it was 10600.2.3.

Any idea why it was pulled yet? So far, the only major extension I use with it is the one for 1Password, and it's working fine..

BL.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
I think people are starting to dramatise this a bit too much.

It's not like the ios 8.0.1 fiasco.

It's just that the mac app store sometimes won't install it properly.

If you use the direct links it goes quite well.

So it has nothing to do with safari.

It is more to do with the mac app store not working properly.

EDIT: The links for 8.0.1, 7.1.1, 6.2.1 in my thread are now dead. But the 7.1 and 6.2 ones are still live.

Last edited:

oopsroger

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2013
You think Tim Cook is responsible for the bad code?

He is not directly responsible for each code. But if the same **** happens over and over again, previously iOS now OS X, he is definitely responsible.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
I downloaded this update to Safari. Haven't noticed a difference from the previous version. Also extensions like Adblock still do not work in this update!!!

It does work for me since the beginning - but had to delete and reinstall Adblock.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
He is not directly responsible for each code. But if the same **** happens over and over again, previously iOS now OS X, he is definitely responsible.

Interesting you should say that, as I have not had a single problem with Safari 8.0.1.

BL.

Last edited by a moderator:

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
People who use Snow Leopard don't use it because they're antisocial. It's much faster and more stable in most cases than anything else, plus it doesn't have the really annoying file management "features" of Lion and onward. Most importantly, it's the latest OS my MacBook can run, so...

I know someone who was using Snow Leopard on a 2010 iMac until they got a new one last July, and someone else who is currently running Lion on their 2011 MBP. Some people don't see the need to update from the original shipping OS as long as it does everything they need and they also don't care about new features or looks. It's as simple as that.

Reactions: maverick28

fluchtpunkt

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2013
OK thanks for sending a browser update before an update to fix the wifi connectivity issues. :rolleyes:

You have a very naive way of software development.

Software Developers in companies like Apple are usually experts on a very particular area. A Safari engineer might be an expert in implementing HTML rendering, or in writing fast Javascript interpreters. But she might have little knowledge about drivers and wireless technologies.

You can't just tell her to help the Core-Wireless team. Her knowledge about HTML and Javascript is of no use over there. She could probably learn that stuff and become an expert in this area as well. But depending on the particular area we are talking about that might take a lot of training which costs a lot of time and money, because while in training software developers are not very productive. Wireless technologies is such a field were problems are very complex and experts are very hard to find.

And because of this and many other reasons it generally does not help to throw more personnel on development teams.
Or more colorful: that one woman can have a baby in nine months does not mean that nine woman can make a baby in one month.

That's why developers work best in small and medium teams that are for the most parts independent of each other. It does not make any sense to put them all onto the same subject. And you don't want to send all other developers on vacation while the Core Wireless team tries to fix issues.

And that is why Apple sometimes fixes things first that are less important (for you).

AlecZ

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2014
Berkeley, CA
I know someone who was using Snow Leopard on a 2010 iMac until they got a new one last July, and someone else who is currently running Lion on their 2011 MBP. Some people don't see the need to update from the original shipping OS as long as it does everything they need and they also don't care about new features or looks. It's as simple as that.

This is a big deal too. I probably would never update if Xcode or other things didn't require it. Not worth the risk and hassle just for maybe one more little feature I'd use. I still have to deal with my cousin's Yosemite problems, though :/

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Stop wondering.

I explained before why it was pulled.

It's just that the mac app store sometimes won't install it properly.

If you use the direct links it goes quite well.

So it has nothing to do with safari.

It is more to do with the mac app store not working properly.

EDIT: Direct links have also been pulled.

Last edited:

fivenotrump

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2009
Central England

Not quite that simple: they do not care about security either.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Stop wondering.

I explained before why it was pulled.

If true, it's more than a little ridiculous that such a commonly used and fundimental process isn't reliable (rock solid being an over expectation). I understand that the software being installed each time has a big influence over successful updating, but then again WASNT that always true? So why does Apple's s/w update processes for both OS X and ios seem to be in the crapper these last few years? Tim IS responsible and has to replace the folks who aren't xapable of ensuring Just Works™ reliability.

Btw I installed this update on my 2012 Mac mini and for the first time ever, it was unable to switch from one user to another... Just hung with the spinning gear after I entered the password for the user I wanted to switch to. Ended up having to manually shut it off after trying all buttons on my keyboard and putting it to sleep with no success.

hp12c

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2014
Be careful with this update, I updated and now Safari is no longer on my system at all. Replaced by a question mark and not visible in a spotlight or a manual search! Completely vanished! I'm having to use Chrome to post this!!

Can someone please sack the updates team!!

This happened to me too! Safari's gone!

jimmirehman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2012
Having said all that, Safari is just a gazillion miles ahead as a browser than anything else out there (speed, stability, battery life, features, looks), and now more than ever.

I can open a fresh copy of Safari and Firefox at the same time, loading the same homepage and Firefox ALWAYS completes the render first, leaving Safari with a half loaded progress bar and a blank page. I don't understand why it gets hung up but it does.

HyperZboy

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2007
Not quite that simple: they do not care about security either.

That is simply not true since it's really a Catch 22 situation.

Every new update might close various security holes, but at the same time open up new ones through new features.

I still tell people that if you're happy with Mavericks and everything works fine and you don't need the new features of Yosemite, it might not be worth the hassle just yet.

Plus, a lot of the new features don't even work on recently released Macs so you may not even get the new features anyway.

Reactions: maverick28

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
Use Google Chrome 39 + the correct preferences. Supports "Click To Play" for plugins, supports all modern (and older) web standards and security features. Runs as a 64 bit application on OS X 10.6+ (they use the LLVM via Xcode v5.1.1 to compile Chrome).

Google-phobia...:(

The XP equivalent? It needs to die, already (only for those that could update but don't because they like to live on the past and demand things: "**** icloud!"; "**** social: if I wanted to be social I would get out of the basement!" and so on.

However, if there are machines where support ended with 10.6.8 and they are less than 5-7 years, they should be supported, otherwise Apple should be embarrassed.

Having said all that, Safari is just a gazillion miles ahead as a browser than anything else out there (speed, stability, battery life, features, looks), and now more than ever.

But I still have to use Chrome/pushbullet because Apple chooses to
ignore Android users. I get why, and it is ok. But Chrome is actually good now (just not Safari-Good), and it works fine with Android and Windows (when needed).

I still can't understand why Apple isn't pushing Safari down the throat of every single Windows user with iTunes: They would control the whole i-ecosystem experience so much better.

Having said all that... Yosemite is so ****ing gorgeous and amazing. The only thing that Apple does that is really pissing me off is concerned with the best computer ever made, the MBAir.

Why no handoff and continuity support for the 2011 model, that actually has low power bluetooth 4.0? Why the still (for that machine) disgustingly bad cheap-ass TN panel? /rant

To each and their own...
Yosemite looks like crap to me. The flat design can go Foxtrot-Off for me.
If I want my computer to look like a crappy Windows, I wouldn't have drop over 2 grand for it.

Now where is Rosetta in anything after Snow Leopard?

Lastly, XP was supported for how many years?

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
I'm still disappointed that Apple dropped the Windows version of Safari with version 6.

It's bad enough that I have to use Windows for my job - at least let me have a decent browser that doesn't just syphon off all my information back to Google...

Safari was a turd on Windows.

Firefox, Chrome & IE 11 are great browsers on Windows 7 & 8. As you are a bit weird and think your info is being syphoned off I'd recommend Firefox.

Woochoo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
I hope it fixes the "cfprefsd" process bug that launches everytime I go to a web and consumes up to 60-65% of the CPU.

BTW, some time ago some reports were saying that Apple is the tecnology enterprise with the lowest nº of workers per $ generated (or benefits, I don't remember). So Apple, what if you stop having the "just necessary" personal just to have everything controlled and to improve the benefits margin, and start getting more software testers to avoid all this mess?

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
It actually seem to have a graphics performance boost on my 2011 MBP. Scrolling is noticeably more fluid with my HD3000, even on my Apple Cinema Display at 1920x1200. :)

Not snappier, but silkier!

mceolsen

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2011
Be careful with this update, I updated and now Safari is no longer on my system at all. Replaced by a question mark and not visible in a spotlight or a manual search! Completely vanished! I'm having to use Chrome to post this!!

Can someone please sack the updates team!!

Probably a new build of safari - check you applications folder. Mine did that with a 3rd party app, and I had to re-open in from there?

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
I for one have gone back to mavericks and the older versions of Itunes and ditched safari for chrome.

It may just be me, but since Steve Jobs passed Apples products seem to be getting more bug ridden, less polished and just, well, BAD..

the new itunes reminds me of Microsofts ZUNE player software.. its almost an exact copy but in grey and white instead of nicely patterned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.