Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DustinLH00

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2014
Aurora, IL
Hopefully my question doesn't get lost in the sea of off-topic Yoda posts, but..

Does anyone know if apps being submitted to the app store of iOS 9 features? Or if they're allowed to include those? I know in previous years that was a big no no, but with them releasing public betas, I'm wondering if that's a thing of the past now.

Specifically, I'm wondering if the picture-in-picture might happen for YouTube, Plex, Netflix, etc before the fall*

*Obviously this depends entirely on the developer as well.

1) Get over yourself
2) I don't think you understand how software development works. Developers are getting their first exposure to iO9 and El Capitan now just like the public. They have to create alphas or betas of their own apps to test on the new features with. They will not release these until they are stable and that won't be until the OS is stable.

dxevolution

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2008
I deleted my Public Beta profile to download iOS 9 Beta 4. How do I install Public Beta 2? Should I even bother?

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
Are the El Capitan public betas pretty stable? I'm signed up for the beta program but haven't upgraded because I'm concerned about stability.

not if you are using usb devices or want time machine to work properly. i also get tremendous lag loading web pages sometimes, like 15 seconds tremendous.

JustThinkin'

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2014
It's a beta. Some things are stable, but there are bugs. Without knowing how someone uses their phone, and what apps they use its impossible to answer his question with any accuracy.

Are you familiar with what a Beta is? Not ready for public release. There are bugs. Things will not work.

At first you give a reasonable sounding answer. But then you immediately follow it up with a condescending answer when someone does what you asked them to do, which is to be specific.

A specific question needs someone who can respond to a particular aspect, while a general question allows someone to give an overall impression.

People usually want to know this: "Is feature A fixed? And even if it's not, will I regret installing it?" Two different questions with two different answers.

Reactions: unobtainium

pwfletcher

macrumors regular
May 2, 2002
Sound issues have not been resolved ... I use an AudioQuest Firefly USB DAC and it still snaps, crackles, and pops every few seconds. Several others using a variety of USB DACs have experienced the same issue ...

Reactions: mpfuchs

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
I feel like the sync issues are resolved, meaning that if I open an email on another device it doesn't show as unread in Mail forever until restart like before. So those issues are fixed I think, but the app itself is not stable. It has crashed on me a few times, I have had to force quit a few times, and it will get an error occasionally deleting or moving an email.

Thank you for that, in other words same crap as with Yosemite. Nothing has changed.

Kevsta26

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2011
USA
A problem I had with PB1 was IPv4 and IPv6. When I went from wifi>LTE>3G>1x I couldn't use data for anything except Facebook and google searches. It wouldn't open any webpages from the results page though. After digging several posts pinpointed back to this issue with IPv4 and IPv6. I'm not complaining cause I know it's a beta so I'm not upset but I did revert back to 8.4 over it. My question is does the PB2 have these same problems? Didn't notice anything in the developer preview change logs and this is supposed to be the same. But I did love the beta and would absolutely love to go back if that issue is fixed. Really the only problem I had that prevented me using my phone. So anyone know if it's fixed?

I'm actually wondering the same thing! I had the exact same issues you're describing with PB1 and my phones data connection fluctuating and once it fluctuated, my phone just decided I had no internet and nothing would load. Where I work, the data isn't that great, so my phone would basically think it had no internet the whole time until I turned the cellular data on and off, which temporarily fixed it.

I haven't had a chance to test PB2/DP4 in LTE>3G>1x conditions yet, but once I do, I'll hopefully get back to you.

brianjlambert

macrumors member
May 13, 2015
I deleted my Public Beta profile to download iOS 9 Beta 4. How do I install Public Beta 2? Should I even bother?
  1. I uninstalled the profile to install Developer Beta 4.
  2. I re-installed the profile for PB 2 on DB4 and restarted.
  3. I checked for updates, and it stated that iOS 9 was up to date.
  4. The Feedback app is now back after re-installing the profile.
Public Beta 2 is the same build number as Developer Beta 4 (except that it came out a day later). It's fortunate this little trick worked, but I was happy to try it out even if it didn't. Glad to have the Public Betas on iOS and OS X now!

Reactions: mpfuchs

ollywang

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2015
los angeles
As a rookie, i love just being included in this. i'm patiently awaiting the 6S and I needed something new.....thanks to Apple.

anshuvorty

macrumors 68040
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
[Edit]: Simple restart looks to have fixed the problem!

Anyone else getting this error while trying to install PB 2 on their iPod Touch 6th generation?

qZQqvdS.png

Last edited:

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Wow I guess I didn't go into Disk Util since upgrading to 10.11 beta.... Disk Utility sure has changed....

mpfuchs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
VA
  1. I uninstalled the profile to install Developer Beta 4.
  2. I re-installed the profile for PB 2 on DB4 and restarted.
  3. I checked for updates, and it stated that iOS 9 was up to date.
  4. The Feedback app is now back after re-installing the profile.
Public Beta 2 is the same build number as Developer Beta 4 (except that it came out a day later). It's fortunate this little trick worked, but I was happy to try it out even if it didn't. Glad to have the Public Betas on iOS and OS X now!

Very nice, thanks!
That means I can now report bugs with the right version number!
Too bad there are actually a few I need to report.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.