Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

121755-led_imac_500.jpg

Apple today announced updated iMac models carrying LED-based 16:9 displays in 21.5-inch and 27-inch sizes.
Apple today unveiled an all new iMac line featuring brilliant LED-backlit 21.5 and 27-inch widescreen displays in a new edge-to-edge glass design and seamless all aluminum enclosure. The new iMac line, starting at $1,199, is the fastest ever with Intel Core 2 Duo processors starting at 3.06 GHz, and Core i5 and i7 quad-core processors for up to twice the performance.* Every new iMac ships with a wireless keyboard and the all new wireless Magic Mouse, the world’s first mouse with Multi-Touch technology pioneered by Apple on the iPhone, iPod touch and Mac notebook trackpad.

The 21.5-inch model, which begins at $1,199 and carries a 1920x1080 display, offers Intel Core 2 Duo processor options running at 3.06 GHz or 3.33 GHz and NVIDIA GeForce 9400M or ATI Radeon 4670 graphics card options.

Pricing on the 27-inch model, which carries a 2560x1440 display, begins at $1,699. In addition to the same processor options found on the smaller model, users can also select from a 2.66 GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 or 2.8 GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor, although machines carrying those higher-end processors will not ship until November.

All new iMac models feature an SD card slot and ship standard with a redesigned wireless mouse known as the "Magic Mouse" and wireless keyboard.

Article Link: Apple Releases Updated iMac Models With 21.5- and 27-Inch LED Screens

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I used to help my family buy computers. Now I just tell them "Buy whatever you want. They're ALL 100 times more power than you need!"

It sure makes my life easier.

nicadmous

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2007
so there will be iMacs with quad core

Any nay sayers of the quad cores in iMacs please feel free to admit you were wrong :p

Though I too wish blu-rays were included...oh wells...

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
That top of the line 27" is a beast. I'm surprised they even have a 2.8Ghz quad core processor as a BTO option.

wilburpan

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Are these LED screens evenly lit with LEDs across the entire screen, or are they edge-lit LEDs, like what Samsung is doing with their HDTV's?

viperguy

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2005
So many people complained about the iMac line not having a quad core option.. there you go!

SirOmega

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2006
Las Vegas
Why is everyone so hung up on blu-ray?

Even with limited uptake, people are still buying BR movies. Especially since many of them come with digital copies for the iPhone. Some Disney movies even come with a DVD copy for the kids TVs (that probably aren't BR/HD yet).

Plus, I'm still not cool on buying digital movies. Music sure, especially now that its not DRM'd. But movies are still something I either rent or buy a physical copy.

Also, I'm on the fence now, the 27" looks awesome, but maybe now that Apple has Core i7-based CPUs, the LGA1165 hackintoshes will (hopefully) work now since they're using the P55 chipset in Apple computers now and there are kexts to support it.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
By the way, I LOVE the Star Trek images on the screen since these iMacs pretty much look like the sets from the last movie.

EDIT: Wireless keyboard and mouse are standard? That's new, isn't it? They're REALLY going for the Sci-Fi feeling!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.