Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
It should be noted though that the iPhone 3GS, iPad 1, and iPhone 4 have the same GPU on their SoC. I think the only difference is the frequency at which it's clocked at.

But I really do agree that it's surprising the iPad 1 isn't on there.

You're right. Just checked. 150 MHz in the 3GS to 200 MHz in the iPhone 4 and iPad.

----------

I think Apple did do that once, they had support for a device, then dropped support after a few beta releases.

iPhone 3G. They had support into the release of iOS 4 but dropped it at 4.1 or 4.2 because it was awful.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
But if 3GS support is dropped in iOS 7, then those who buy the 3GS now will get only 1 year of support. There's no way Apple could drop 3GS support less than a year after they stopped selling it, that would be a PR nightmare. They will probably drop the 3GS and introduce the new iPhone when iOS 6 is publicly available.

Not going to be complaining if 3GS is dropped with iOS 7.

They used to have 2 phones on sale at the same time, now they have 3, next year 3GS will get replaced by iPhone 4 as the cheapest iPhone. So when iOS 7 comes out 3GS will not be on sale for a long time.

If 3GS gets iOS 6, that's 3 major updates(iOS 4, 5, 6) and that would be an industry gold standard, absolutely unmatched by other manufacturers/software companies.

But if they want to give 3GS users iOS 7, by all means Apple, go ahead...

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
I agree. I bet that only about 25-50% of the new features of iOS 6 will be available. Its called the "Compatible only cause we still sell it" update.

Like for example the 3D maps for the 3GS will most likely be a definite no-no. I think that iPhone 4 users would be lucky to get this feature. (Though to be fair, the iPhone 4 early adopters are to be available for the next gen iPhone when it is announced. Provided they didn't already use their upgrade.)

I think the iPhone 4 will be supported until the 5S or whatever they call it.

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
You're right. Just checked. 150 MHz in the 3GS to 200 MHz in the iPhone 4 and iPad.

----------

iPhone 3G. They had support into the release of iOS 4 but dropped it at 4.1 or 4.2 because it was awful.

The support wasn't dropped during a beta version though. The 3G and second gen iPod touch ended support at 4.2.1 because it was just running awfully and messing with the software wasn't enough to make up for a weak processor.

*Calypso*

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2011
Germany
Can't wait to see what Android features show up two years later on iPhones - must be an exciting time for all the cutting-edge iOS users.

That would be widgets* aaaand ... ? And please don't say Flash now.

* Which already exist in the Notification Center.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Kinda strange that 3GS will get iOS 6 but not iPad 1. This makes me think that iOS 6 won't have new features like bigger ones in iOS 4 (multitasking) or iOS 5 (iCloud). Probably will focus on stock apps that the rumors were suggesting.

Oh well think that means I should upgrade my iPad or jailbreak it. Still got my iPhone 4 so I'm happy.

theonekcrow

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Indiana
It should be noted though that the iPhone 3GS, iPad 1, and iPhone 4 have the same GPU on their SoC. I think the only difference is the frequency at which it's clocked at.

But I really do agree that it's surprising the iPad 1 isn't on there.

I wonder if it has to do with the fact that the iPad 1 doesn't have any cameras too? Considering some of the apple apps like iMovie or iPhoto wont even work on an iPad 1 because they claim this. I highly doubt it, but that is a possibility too...

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
The support wasn't dropped during a beta version though. The 3G and second gen iPod touch ended support at 4.2.1 because it was just running awfully and messing with the software wasn't enough to make up for a weak processor.

I didn't say it was. I was providing him the information as to when Apple dropped a device from OS support mid-life. Apple hasn't cut a device out during an iOS beta, only to start a new beta.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
What PR nightmare? People buying cheap smartphones don't get mad when their devices aren't updated. See: Android.

Haha
The thing is, both Android and iOS are free at this point. Apple would be giving out free, new operating systems to people with phones from 2009 if they supported the 3GS any further.

Android's difficulty with updating is more extreme, and it's probably caused by the fact that they're so clunky and fragmented.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Glad to hear that the 4th Generation iPod Touch will be supported, was a bit worried about that.. :)

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
I WILL BE **** IF THERE WILL BE NO IOS 6 ON 3rd GEN IPOD TOUCH.

In that case, you will be ****. Apple won't give out a free operating system to someone with such an old device.

I wish they had the option to just buy the OS, though. But then Apple would have to keep adding support for older devices, which is annoying to do.

Vundu

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
Nothing to do with specs or hardware. It is if Apple plan to continue to sell and support a device. They do not sell iPad 1s anymore so why make the new iOS run on it?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I don't quite understand why the iPad 1 will not be supported. It is just as powerful as the iPhone 4.

Classic Apple. They only support the mobile devices for the release that was active when the device first launched and two additional versions. It reduces the variations they have to concern themselves with and encourages buying updated hardware since by that time even your Apple Care has run out.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Glad to hear that the 4th Generation iPod Touch will be supported, was a bit worried about that.. :)

Apple seems to support two generations behind. For iPhones, it is best to sell your iPhone and get a new one every 2 years (when the contract is up) anyway.

jlnr

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2010
No iOS6 on the original iPad, I think that's realistic if you consider how slow iOS 5.1 has gotten. (For whatever reason - it's not like iCloud should be more straining than MobileMe)

Yet Apple was selling original iPads right up to the release of the new iPad! Can you imagine buying a Mac and not being able to upgrade to the latest OS only three months later? That's one part of the smartphone market that I hope the "post PC era" will not copy :(

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
No iOS6 on the original iPad, I think that's realistic if you consider how slow iOS 5.1 has gotten. (For whatever reason - it's not like iCloud should be more straining than MobileMe)

Yet Apple was selling original iPads right up to the release of the new iPad! Can you imagine buying a Mac and not being able to upgrade to the latest OS only three months later? That's one part of the smartphone market that I hope the "post PC era" will not copy :(

No they weren't. Only refurbs. Nothing new.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009

Yeah, that's kinda stupid. The iPad 1 is not a good device anyway. I always wait one version before buying.

dugbee

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Q: How many 2009 Android phones will run Jelly Bean, or can even run ICS?
A: There are still Android phones from 2009 that work?

:p happy to see that my 3GS (which I now use as an iPod) will still sit comfortably with my 4S and new iPad.

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2005

What? No they weren't.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Talk about reducing secrecy! We still do not have a clue what is coming with this update except new Maps app :eek:

It's the developer's conference making this software an easy call. Since that's what the conference is all about -- revealing the software features, releasing the developer tools and betas, running q&a sessions about the new stuff etc.

The versions are what they are because that is the hardware available to the developers to test on. It doesn't necessarily reflect the final supported item list.

propynyl

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2007
If the 3GS is FULLY supported, it can't be that big of an update! The internal difference between the 3GS the the upcoming "iPhone 5" are HUGE!

I mean they dropped multitasking from the 3G, so they do sometimes release "lite" iOS Versions. I know that they are still selling the 3GS, I just can't understand how that phone can be fully supported with iOS 6!?! Makes me feel like it is ultimately not a huge update.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Reason you don't see links for ML there is because IOS devs only see links to IOS and Mac devs only see links to OSX. So I'm guessing this person only had access to the IOS part.

IOS devs that aren't a member of the Mac dev program won't see IOS links.

Thus the IOS only links.

They list them separately depending on your dev access.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
It's strange that there is no iTunes beta... Does this indicate that it will be split up into separate apps that come with Mountain Lion?

It indicates nothing. It's possible that the next iTunes is a UI facelift only so the developers don't need the new version in order to test anything for ML or iOS.

or it could mean they are doing a total revamp but haven't posted the link yet because they don't want to tip folks off. Everyone already knew that iOS and OS X were getting changes as well as Safari because they have seen the official info and the rumors. But no one has leaked anything about iTunes so they are very very careful to keep off all links so they can have it as a 'one more thing' surprise for the keynote.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.