Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I don't know why those with Android phones feel some innate need to justify their purchase/likes with "Well Samsung sells more than Apple" or "Android sells as many high-end smartphones as iOS". This entire pi$$ing match centers on preference and emotion....which is why it's so asinine.

I think it goes both ways as evident in threads on this forum. Fact is - no one should feel the need to justify their own purchase or their use case. We all have different (sometimes similar needs). As long as you're happy with what you use - no one should care about your decision anymore than you should care about someone else's.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Just a few comments. I think the idea of being able to use your phone as (also) a portable drive goes with the notion - less devices to carry around the better. You can't (in my opinion) criticize the idea that it's easier/makes more sense to carry just your phone vs carrying a phone and thumb drive. Especially if you have your phone around anyway.

As for my tech just working for me - again - if the phone acts also as a portable drive when needed. That's the point.

My "biggest" gripe about not having control over the file structure is when it comes to sharing across apps. Because with Apple it's not intuitive unless apps use the same targeted location - which isn't always the case. Nor do developers make sharing across their apps possible (in some cases). That's tech not working for me. On the flip side - on Android (which I am not claiming is a better OS) - you can pretty much save in the default location and/or move files to where you need them or at least access them in other apps regardless of what the OS or developer has programmed.

Apple is making improvements on sharing docs, etc as well. But I do believe that Android has sharing down much better. Not only across apps - but to various online services.

I think we're nitpicking here if we're going to gripe about carrying an iPhone and a thumb drive (which combined would still probably weigh about as much as a GS3 or Note II).

I'll give you that sharing between certain apps on the iPhone may not be as "simple" as dragging and dropping a folder from one location another. But how many ways do you feel you need to be able to share a given file? I mean there's iCloud, Dropbox, Amazon's cloud, Mocrosoft's cloud, not to mention tons of third party apps that work with just about every other device. Then you also have proprietary sharing tools like Photo Stream (which rocks by the way) and AirDrop (which I wish was on the iPhone). You can post to FB and Twitter from most any app.

I guess I'm just at a loss for what else I could be sharing/what ways I could be sharing.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
But again - it's not about weight and whatnot. It's about the difference between carrying one device vs two. But to each their own :)

With the iPhone - I sometimes would need to send from one app - to dropbox (or similar) and then open up another app and go into dropbox and open in the app I want. This is vs on Android what you can do. Is it a HUGE issue - no. But enough of an annoyance that I give props to Android for making it efficient.

And sometimes I have a picture that I want to share via multiple apps or online. I can do that with Android easily. Especially with the app Andmade share. For example- I can send the same picture to contacts on WhatsApp, post on Facebook, Twitter and also email it to someone via a checklist. This would be several steps with iOS.

Is it something I do often? No. But again - just one (small) example how sharing in Android by not being tied to the developer or OS is handled better.

I think we're nitpicking here if we're going to gripe about carrying an iPhone and a thumb drive (which combined would still probably weigh about as much as a GS3 or Note II).

I'll give you that sharing between certain apps on the iPhone may not be as "simple" as dragging and dropping a folder from one location another. But how many ways do you feel you need to be able to share a given file? I mean there's iCloud, Dropbox, Amazon's cloud, Mocrosoft's cloud, not to mention tons of third party apps that work with just about every other device. Then you also have proprietary sharing tools like Photo Stream (which rocks by the way) and AirDrop (which I wish was on the iPhone). You can post to FB and Twitter from most any app.

I guess I'm just at a loss for what else I could be sharing/what ways I could be sharing.

Tigger92

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2009
North Carolina
people who buy the iPhone don't want a smartphone, they want an iPhone. people who want a smartphone buy an android.

That is a load of crap. While this is apparently your opinion, it has no basis in fact. Please refrain from making incendiary and stupid comments such as this.

As or my, I happen to need a "smartphone" for my work and I have found (through review and hands on experience) that iPhone does the job better for what I do. It also has much better integration and MUCH better app selection for the apps that I need. Hence, I went for an iPhone 4s and am quite happy with it.

And when the next round of android/windows/iOS phones come out, I will similarly review them to see which does what I need best.

I have tried the different Android "smartphones" and just have not been that impressed by the experience.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
In 2Q12 about 100 million Android phones were sold. Half of those were Samsungs, and 40% of those were SGS3s and Notes. Thus 20% of all Android sales are high end Samsung devices.

Throw in all the top phones from every manufacturer and I suspect high end is at least 1/3 of total Android sales. But let's say it's just 25%.

Because of the huge number of total Android sales, it works out that high end Android phones likely numerically sell as much or more than all types of iPhones sold each quarter. That seems notable.

I don't think your numbers are correct. There is no way that Samsung sold 20 million GS3s and Notes in Q2 2012. The GS3 was only on sale for a month. It didn't even reach 10 million in sales until the end of July.

nazaar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
If you can read the answer is already there, I said I'm sure its only a few. Want me to repeat that or did you read it this time?

Please repeat it... I'd like to see another run on sentence.

You initially said "a lot" and then, in the same sentence, said "a few". Which one is it, a lot or a few?

Both represent very different values if quantified and in fact I'd go so far as to say very opposite.

Last edited:

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Excuses... iPhone is a history of excuses:

Here is a copy/paste iPhone conversation in 2007:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/320256/

- I guess they got so caught up... that they forgot about two little, seldom-used features called...COPYING and PASTING?!?!

- I'm going to guess that that will get patched quickly...my TI-89 calculator has copy and paste.

- Why in hell would you need copy and paste on a phone!!! apple probably thought about it.. they said no

- I'm quite surprised by this. I use copy/paste on my Blackberry often.

- I have used various smartphones over the past 3.5 years and i have NEVER used copy and paste. So i really don't see the point.

- I use copy/paste ALL THE TIME on my Treo. It's a computing fundamental - Hard to imagine that it's truly not in there at all...

- Who cares.

- I can't say there has been a time when I've need to use copy/cut & paste

Really, why would you need copy/paste, LTE, wireless updates, large screens, removable batteries, files system, AMOLED, stylus, NFC?
"apple probably thought about it.. they said no" View attachment 380075

Yeah I remember those conversations. Then after Apple come out with the feature that everyone was saying was useless and Apple would never do it, it become the most innovative thing ever that no one has ever seen done "right". How long did it take us to get Notification Center?

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
I'd take a fully functioning phone with a limited sized screen over one that didn't let me do what I needed to but had a slick UI and big screen. But for me it's about function not "style." Your mileage may vary.
Feel free to write your latest novel or the codebase of a large software product with Notepad, Pico or VI. While all of those tools can technically be used to write software or a novel, nobody in their right mind would use them in this day in age. Even when the KRZR was new, nobody in their right mind would have actually used one for composing even a medium sized email whereas you could compose an email with pictures on the original iPhone.

When you have a screen as cramped as the KRZR was, it is effectively useless because of the lack of usability. I am not interested in debating a "turning" test of what is possible on a piece of crap like the KRZR but whether the average person would have used it as a smartphone. I would confidently say that almost nobody used the KRZR as anything other than a phone to talk and text on and even texting would have been a pain pressing the number pad numerous times to output the desired letters in the desired case.

I stand by my claim that you people are viewing things through rose coloured glasses. Without a QUERTY keyboard of any kind, only a masochist would type an email to someone.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
You're entitled to your opinion. Others are entitled to theirs. That doesn't negate theirs or makes yours superior. And I already commented on the hypocrisy of the rose colored glasses comment.

Feel free to write your latest novel or the codebase of a large software product with Notepad, Pico or VI. While all of those tools can technically be used to write software or a novel, nobody in their right mind would use them in this day in age. Even when the KRZR was new, nobody in their right mind would have actually used one for composing even a medium sized email whereas you could compose an email with pictures on the original iPhone.

When you have a screen as cramped as the KRZR was, it is effectively useless because of the lack of usability. I am not interested in debating a "turning" test of what is possible on a piece of crap like the KRZR but whether the average person would have used it as a smartphone. I would confidently say that almost nobody used the KRZR as anything other than a phone to talk and text on and even texting would have been a pain pressing the number pad numerous times to output the desired letters in the desired case.

I stand by my claim that you people are viewing things through rose coloured glasses. Without a QUERTY keyboard of any kind, only a masochist would type an email to someone.

kdarling

macrumors P6
This entire pi$$ing match centers on preference and emotion....which is why it's so asinine.

Oh, I totally agree. I've seen decades of such device debates come and go. Nobody's minds are ever changed :)

At the same time, it's helpful for those debates... which cannot be stopped... to be based more on facts than wildly incorrect myths. Otherwise, they're even worse than useless.

iPhone screen is the perfect size, IMO. I wish premium Android and Windows 8 phones would have the same sized screen. Most of them are too big for me to use with 1 hand.

I've come to the conclusion that debates over screen size should mostly be kept within each operating system.

The primary reason is, iOS was not designed to easily handle larger screens being used with one hand. The Back button is just too far away most of the time. Therefore it's understandable if iOS users don't want larger screens, while Android and WP users have no problem with them.

(I was using my iPad while reading in bed last night and for the millionth time I was frustrated at having to take a hand off and reach way up to go Back. That's when it hit me.)

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Android phones have way to big screen.
The SIII is way to big for my pocket as well.
iPhone 4S and 5 are PERFECT.

by6ape7y.jpg

Sure buddy..... :eek:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
So what are you going to do when Apple increases the physical size of the iPhone, or do you think they will keep and only offer the same size for the next 5, 10, 15, 20+ years?

Phone sizes are fashion based. The original iPhone in 2007 was monstrously large. Or people thought so at the time. That was the time when phones got smaller and smaller to the point where adults couldn't enter a phone number anymore without the help of a toothpick. Personally I think that with some of the large phones, you just look ridiculous making a phone call. But that's just me.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Phone sizes are fashion based. The original iPhone in 2007 was monstrously large. Or people thought so at the time. That was the time when phones got smaller and smaller to the point where adults couldn't enter a phone number anymore without the help of a toothpick. Personally I think that with some of the large phones, you just look ridiculous making a phone call. But that's just me.

Eventually screen size won't matter as much because of developments like google glass (and other tech like it) + being able to use any surface as a keyboard - or even the air.

Burger Thing

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Around the World
lol.... iphone 5 is the number 1 phone on earth:cool:

For sure not in Hong Kong. All you you see on the MTRs and Busses are GSIIIs and Notes. In the shops you can find now more accessories for Samsung phones than iPhones.

The strategy of offering only one screen size which is relatively small in comparison to the popular Androids will lead to Apple's decline in the mobile market, I am afraid.

Would it be so hard to offer 2 screen sizes for Apple? :confused:

More disturbing: lots of my colleagues who switched to a GSIII or Note tell me, that the phone is nice enough in order for them not to want to go back to Apple, even if they offered a bigger sized phone.

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
I don't think your numbers are correct. There is no way that Samsung sold 20 million GS3s and Notes in Q2 2012. The GS3 was only on sale for a month. It didn't even reach 10 million in sales until the end of July.

According to Samsung projection, they think they can sell 30M S3 and 20M note 2 by year end... The 100m total for Samsung seems to be low.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57...axy-s3-sales-to-surpass-30-million-this-year/

Samsung believes its Galaxy S3 is on its way to more than 30 million in global sales by year's end, according to a report from the Yonhap News Agency.
Samsung's IT and mobile unit chief Shin Jong-kyun announced the forecast to reporters today at the company's offices in Seoul. This tidbit comes on the heels of news that Samsung sold 20 million Galaxy S3 phones in the 100 days since its debut in May.
Shin also touted Samsung's new Galaxy Note 2, which was on display at last month's IFA trade show. Sales of the 5.5-inch "phablet" should be more than double that of the original Galaxy Note's 10 million, Shin said. The new Note is slated to reach consumers next month.
Global smartphone shipments in general are expected to reach 567 million this year and almost double in 2016, according to NPD DisplaySearch. And at least some of this year's growth will be driven by Apple's new iPhone, likely to be unveiled today.
"Apple's iPhone 5 will be a key product for the smartphone market in [the second half of 2012]," NPD DisplaySearch analyst Hiroshi Hayase said in a statement. "Apple shipped more than 140 million phones in 2010 and 2011, so we can expect smartphone shipments to continue flourishing as users upgrade to the new iPhone."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.