Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

austriak

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2011
Market share and percent of sales does not translate to one being better than the other. That would be like saying Kia cars are better than Mercedes cars since Kia sells more cars. Apple and some Android phone makers (Samsung, not HTC) are making a ton of money regardless of percentage of sales.

The whole back and forth arguments about which is better is stupid. Buy the phone you like and be secure enough with it that you don't feel the need to talk trash about another phone to feel better about yours. Why do you even care what someone else thinks if you like your phone?

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
My Motorla KRZR had ''real'' email, ''real'' calendaring and other features... Did that make it a smartphone? Oh and it also had an online app store GetJar.com
LOL. I owned a Motorola KRZR. You weren't expecting that were you? No, it did not have "real" email, "real" calendaring or "real" web browsing.

Stop lying.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_KRZR Are you referring to the K3 model? That came out in 2007 which is around the same time that the iPhone was announced. It still was a feature phone and only had a crappy browser.

Most people would think of the K1 as a typical KRZR.

Sorry, but those phones did not have the features you would expect for a smartphone for email, calendaring or web browsing.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
If by fighting over the same people you mean they are fighting for anyone who is buying a smart phone, then yes. If you mean to say they are mirroring means Apple is capturing more of the people who debate between Android and Apple that is not what this says at all.

No, by 'fighting over the same people', he he means just that. If you look at the way the iOS and Android lines on that chart track one another, you see that when one goes up, the other goes down by pretty much exactly the same amount. (There's a bit of discrepancy because the continuing decline of RIM, Windows Phone, etc. provides a small 'buffer' where the increases for iOS or Android don't directly impact the market share of the other.)

Contrary to your position, it does appear (at least for the moment) that among the general population, smart phone buyers *are* choosing iOS more often than Android. This appears to be a cyclical thing, where the first quarter or two after the release of a new iPhone, it outsells Androids, and then for the last quarter when people are expecting a new iPhone to be released soon, the top selling Android model starts outselling iPhones. It's been a pretty stable pattern for a while now.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
This appears to be a cyclical thing, where the first quarter or two after the release of a new iPhone, it outsells Androids, and then for the last quarter when people are expecting a new iPhone to be released soon, the top selling Android model starts outselling iPhones. It's been a pretty stable pattern for a while now.

Pattern? It's happened exactly once. :D

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
correction. SOME android phones are very cheap/free ON contract. high end android phones are not free. older phones become cheaper/free on contract. older iphones are less than a dollar on contract.

likewise android users think only if apple users would try the openness and freedom of android, they will realize why android is so popular. all without rooting/jailbreaking, w/out voiding warranty.

after all, if cheap/free phone is the ONLY reason for a higher marketshare of Android, then these high end Android phones won't sell at all. right?

Not really. One supposition does not actually follow from the other.

If you could look at the market share numbers for the progressive high-end Android phones, you'll find that only recently has any of them outsold any single model of the iPhone. And even then, it was only in the last few weeks before the release of the next iPhone model. The vast bulk of Android phones seems to be made up of the free/cheap low-end models. Therefore, it is entirely possible for the free/cheap low-end models to be solely responsible for the high market share attributed to the Android group, while high-end Android phones (the nice ones) still sell, but not in numbers high enough to give them notable market share.

It's the same reason why Nokia used to have such an overwhelming market share before smartphones really took off.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
LOL. I owned a Motorola KRZR. You weren't expecting that were you? No, it did not have "real" email, "real" calendaring or "real" web browsing.

Stop lying.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_KRZR Are you referring to the K3 model? That came out in 2007 which is around the same time that the iPhone was announced. It still was a feature phone and only had a crappy browser.

Most people would think of the K1 as a typical KRZR.

Sorry, but those phones did not have the features you would expect for a smartphone for email, calendaring or web browsing.

It was a popular phone, I did expect other people to have own one...

Calendar
krzrk1m_calendar_new.jpg
images

Email
http://www.knowyourmobile.com/motor...setting_up_email_on_the_motorola_krzr_k1.html
And not to mention apps like Gmail Mobile

Browser
If you go back to my post, I never said it was ''real'' browsing. It could ne with Opera Mini for full browsing but I didn't include that because it was not that great.

As for calendar and email, try again...

Last edited:

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
Its just to small for a business user and most people I know are business users, maybe its fine for you and for most, I'm just saying for a lot of web surfing its just a bit small.

I'm a business user - I use my iPhone 5 several hours every single day - calendar, corporate e-mail and a lot of calls and quick look ups on the web and such - the iPhone 5 i simply a perfect size - some might like them bigger, but as some others have said - I usually use it one hand, which is very hard on a larger device...

One of the reasons I don't even want to consider a Android top device is the sizes - they are way way too big... Have loved my iPhone 4/4S size for years and now the 5 - actually loved the 4S so much I sometimes miss it's size...

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
MS is doing more that just trying. In many ways they have out done android.

If they get their marketing in order and get more product out they will become a big player.

It'd be interesting to see, but I honestly doubt it. Microsoft has *repeatedly* over-promised and *vastly* under-delivered with their cell-phone OSs over the years. It'll take something *spectacular*, not just 'almost as good as the other guys' to convince most people to take a chance with them *again*. They've flubbed it twice since the original release of the iPhone, and that's still recent-enough history for people to remember.

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004

For the people that claim the iphone 5 is perfect and the rest are "too big" etc here is a picture.

Well, if someone thinks the iPhone 5 is "perfect" than the phone behind it (GS3?) is "too big" even if just barely.

Some would say the Galaxy S3 is "perfect" and any iPhone is "too small." Who can say what is "correct"?

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Well, if someone thinks the iPhone 5 is "perfect" than the phone behind it (GS3?) is "too big" even if just barely.

Some would say the Galaxy S3 is "perfect" and any iPhone is "too small." Who can say what is "correct"?

Only Apple users can say what is correct. :D

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
It was a popular phone, I did expect other people to have own one...

Calendar
ImageImage

Email
http://www.knowyourmobile.com/motor...setting_up_email_on_the_motorola_krzr_k1.html
And not to mention apps like Gmail Mobile

Browser
If you go back to my post, I never said it was ''real'' browsing. It could ne with Opera Mini for full browsing but I didn't include that because it was not that great.

As for calendar and email, try again...
Yeah, sorry but that is unusable crap. It was a pain in the arse to use and some functionality was disabled on some carriers.

The big feature that the original iPhone had was that it could not be screwed up by the carriers. That was a really huge deal for a lot of people. When the App store did arrive, that was also welcome and it too was not controlled by the carriers.

I think you are looking at the past with rose coloured glasses. Those phones were crap.

How many lines of text fit in your email client? How many columns? Now compare that with even the original iPhone. It had HTML formatted email. Those screenshots remind me of a pre-windows dos machine.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Yeah, sorry but that is unusable crap. It was a pain in the arse to use and some functionality was disabled on some carriers.

The big feature that the original iPhone had was that it could not be screwed up by the carriers. That was a really huge deal for a lot of people. When the App store did arrive, that was also welcome and it too was not controlled by the carriers.

I think you are looking at the past with rose coloured glasses. Those phones were crap.

How many lines of text fit in your email client? How many columns? Now compare that with even the original iPhone. It had HTML formatted email. Those screenshots remind me of a pre-windows dos machine.

Ok now you're just going into details. Columns or lines does not make a email/calendar function ''real''. You said the features were not present in the KRZR and I proved you wrong. Just admit that you were wrong and move on.

And I never said the iPhone was not a great phone, you're just going off subject with your carrier control crap.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
That's true to some extent, but the organizational cost of adapting to a platform is usually more associated to its integration with existing systems. That's not so much the case with smartphones because they are not really integrated with IT.

Now that said, I know many IT departments are really raising their eyebrows with the arrival of the surface pro, because it does integrate completely with existing IT systems. Considering that MS phones now integrate tightly within their own ecosystem... it's really the IT geeks of these corporations who are watching carefully to see where MS takes all of this over time. It's quite possible that this is the gradual beginning of a new day for MS. Will be interesting to see.

Don't overlook training and integration costs.

saturn88

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2011
A dumb phone would give user-access to the file-system.

A smart phone would give the user no reason to access the file-system.

Excuses... iPhone is a history of excuses:

Here is a copy/paste iPhone conversation in 2007:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/320256/

- I guess they got so caught up... that they forgot about two little, seldom-used features called...COPYING and PASTING?!?!

- I'm going to guess that that will get patched quickly...my TI-89 calculator has copy and paste.

- Why in hell would you need copy and paste on a phone!!! apple probably thought about it.. they said no

- I'm quite surprised by this. I use copy/paste on my Blackberry often.

- I have used various smartphones over the past 3.5 years and i have NEVER used copy and paste. So i really don't see the point.

- I use copy/paste ALL THE TIME on my Treo. It's a computing fundamental - Hard to imagine that it's truly not in there at all...

- Who cares.

- I can't say there has been a time when I've need to use copy/cut & paste

Really, why would you need copy/paste, LTE, wireless updates, large screens, removable batteries, files system, AMOLED, stylus, NFC?
"apple probably thought about it.. they said no" smih.gif

ZenErik

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007
Massachusetts
So (if I get this straight) what you are in effect saying is the current size of the new iPhone5 is perfect.

The size of the iPhone 1 to 4 (I'm guessing) was in your mind perfect too, and any future larger phone Apple makes, will also be the perfect size.

Well, that clears that up then ;)
That is not what I'm saying at all. You aren't talking to an Apple fanboy here. I am open to any brand that puts out a solid product. My life doesn't revolve around Apple.

Any larger than the current size is too big for my liking. But if the only high end options from Apple and any competitors are larger I will be forced to adjust. That's just the way things work.

I am basing this solely on comfort. Any larger than 4" is too big for my hand/thumb size. Heck, even reaching the top of the screen on the iPhone 5 is uncomfortable compared to the older models. And I owned an HTC Rezound for a bit. Only a 4.3" screen yet it felt cumbersome. I never drop phones, but I came pretty close a few times with the Rezound.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
The obvious difference in the US being carrier availability and subsidized pricing. My theory is that the main drivers of Android market share vs the iPhone are lower pricing and wider distribution. That is supported by what we are seeing in the US market.

Can you elaborate? I'm not sure I follow your statement. Are you saying that because phones are subsidized in the US - that's why there's more iPhone sales in the US?

----------

I see this post as a bit hypocritical. First - no one said the iPhone was bad. I personally said it was a slick feature phone. But what's hypocritical is this whole "looking at the past with rose coloured glasses" because too many people on this forum don't remember the iOS 1.0 and the actual usability of the first gen iPhone. Was it fun/cool to use. Sure - but EXTREMELY limiting compared to what you could do on other phones. Lots of spit and polish with minimal functionality.

I'd take a fully functioning phone with a limited sized screen over one that didn't let me do what I needed to but had a slick UI and big screen. But for me it's about function not "style." Your mileage may vary.

And the App Store was welcome - not because it wasn't carrier controlled - but because the original iPhone barely did anything because it was tied to the core apps only Apple provided. The app store was a huge blessing to iPhone users because FINALLY their expensive device could do REAL stuff.

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
The mirroring of the two lines is pretty fascinating. They really are fighting over the same people now.

Gone are the days when they could both gain customers away from dumb-phones and both grow at ridiculous rates. Nope, now a sale for you is literally a customer stolen from the other guy.

The main point of the graph is that there are only two os players now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.