Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Waughy

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
Australia
As long as they are continually fixing things and not introducing other issues then I don't mind how many updates they put out. Having said that it would be nicer if they got most things sorted before any full release, although not all bugs/security flaws are that apparent in general use (most security issues are found by doing things in a certain sequence that normal users wouldn't ever do).
At least Apple are fairly quick with their releases, it's a long wait for most updates on Android (been there), especially when there are carriers involved that have to do their own thing before release.

CamiMR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
This is the kind of stuff that happens to me:

I charge the phone at night, it gets to 100% and I take it off the charger.

The iPhone (5) sits, unused until the next morning. Wifi and Bluetooth are off. Background refresh is off, but Parallax is on.

The next morning the phone is at 87%. W.T.F.?

With iOS6, it might be 97-98%, maybe.

This is my daily routine as well, charge to 100% and unplug before I go to bed.

Both iPhone 5 (iOS 6 & 7) and now iPhone 5s remain at 100% till 07:00, wake up time!

Overall I've found battery life very similar with both devices and both iOS. Arriving home around 17.00, with 40-50% battery left, 30-40% with slightly heavier usage.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
This is my daily routine as well, charge to 100% and unplug before I go to bed.

Both iPhone 5 (iOS 6 & 7) and now iPhone 5s remain at 100% till 07:00, wake up time!

Overall I've found battery life very similar with both devices and both iOS. Arriving home around 17.00, with 40-50% battery left, 30-40% with slightly heavier usage.

Just curious but is there some profound reason that folks charge then unplug when they go to bed? I never understood that logic as I would think it best to have a fully charged device when you wake up in the am ready for the day. To me it makes since to charge while you are sleeping and cant really do anything else with the device. Again just curious if there is something I am missing.

CedricEarl

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2012
Just curious but is there some profound reason that folks charge then unplug when they go to bed? I never understood that logic as I would think it best to have a fully charged device when you wake up in the am ready for the day. To me it makes since to charge while you are sleeping and cant really do anything else with the device. Again just curious if there is something I am missing.

Last I knew you get better battery life with that direction. Charge your phone to 100 percent and unplug it. The phone should not just die but best practice is to allow the battery to drain. It will hold a charger better. Opposed to a constant charge. You don't give it an opportunity charge.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
This is the thing.......

I hope Apple can avoid when Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) come out......I understand the multiple issues when revamping and redesigning a mobile platform. Even bigger feats to overcome in a desktop OS. But Apple must do a focused effort in produce a stable OS, not too prone to microupdates to fix things not fully worked out in the sake of meet an autoimposed deadline......:(

Better later than never......;)

:):apple:

studio¹³¹

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2009
hahahahahaha oh the good ol Car interface fails to work problem. Apple has been renowned for this I'm afraid, they basically consider their own Bluetooth stack to be what everyone else should use, fortunately everyone else abides by the actual Bluetooth standard Apple refuses to, but Apple does force the car manufacturers have to release software updates for their radios just to work with the iPhone again...

My Pioneer Avic 930BT has (luckily) stayed the same and keeps auto connecting without issue...

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Last I knew you get better battery life with that direction. Charge your phone to 100 percent and unplug it. The phone should not just die but best practice is to allow the battery to drain. It will hold a charger better. Opposed to a constant charge. You don't give it an opportunity charge.

Well that is old school ni-cad batteries you refer to. However, I am not advocating leaving it plugged in all the time. I am wondering why one would unplug it just before going to bed after charging it instead of allowing it to stay plugged in while you sleep so its ready for the day will full charge when you wake up. You would still get the "drain" you refer to just not while you sleep. Anyway no big deal to each his own as they say. I was just curious as I see a lot of " I un-plugged when went to bed and woke up to a dead phone" comments and wondered what the logic was.

toshibauser

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011
New York
iOS 7.02 is a disaster for me. iMessage is no longer working, and everyone sends my iMessage as text. Since I don't have a text message plan you know how much this bug is causing me. At this moment, I am just telling everyone not sending me iMessage. I hope Apple will fix this in 7.0.3, otherwise, I will consider switching to Samsung S4 when my contract expires next month.
:mad:

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Really hope this fixes all the graphical issues and hiccups in animations!

BornAgainApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Massachusetts
You can turn off Parallax in General > Accessibility > Reduce Motion and set it to 'On'.

I have the horrendous battery life issue as well. Getting about 4 hours of normal use now, even after turning a bunch of stupid crap off including background refresh for most apps, among other things. Restored back to iOS 6 for a few days just to make sure it wasn't my phone and I was getting all day battery life with moderate/heavy use... so the battery life issue is definitely not cool.

Curious how you were able to revert to 6. All the blogs I've read say there's no going back because Apple stopped signing 6.

jhwalker

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2011
Well that is old school ni-cad batteries you refer to. However, I am not advocating leaving it plugged in all the time. I am wondering why one would unplug it just before going to bed after charging it instead of allowing it to stay plugged in while you sleep so its ready for the day will full charge when you wake up. You would still get the "drain" you refer to just not while you sleep. Anyway no big deal to each his own as they say. I was just curious as I see a lot of " I un-plugged when went to bed and woke up to a dead phone" comments and wondered what the logic was.

"Logic" for me is that I don't have a charger by my bed :eek:

So during the day I charge intermittently at my desk, but I have to unplug when I take my phone into the bedroom and use it as an alarm clock.

Yes, I'm too cheap to buy an extra charger to put in my bedroom :rolleyes:

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta
iOS6 Forever

Just bought a new extended life battery for my ol iPod Touch 4th gen... there is something nice about dropping support on this model for iOS7, will keep this running as long as I can :)

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
"Logic" for me is that I don't have a charger by my bed :eek:

So during the day I charge intermittently at my desk, but I have to unplug when I take my phone into the bedroom and use it as an alarm clock.

Yes, I'm too cheap to buy an extra charger to put in my bedroom :rolleyes:

haha ok then. Perhaps an extra cable only to use your PC to charge during the day at your desk? Or I suppose you COULD take your charger with you to bedroom :)

!GS51!

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2013
Wow that's really amazing. I wish my iPhone had this amazing battery life. But I think I can't abandon my app's data and do a clean install and start everything over... so :(

----------

I was on a phone call and suddenly my face activated the speaker phone button...:mad:

Man i thought my proximity sensor was broken or something while it was working fine with 7.0, but after 7.0.2 the auto brightness option is gone and the proximity does not work, during phone calls i was suddenly muting the calls until i realized that the sensor was not working :p hopefully it will be fixed

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Curious how you were able to revert to 6. All the blogs I've read say there's no going back because Apple stopped signing 6.
Because I had the iOS 7 GM since September 10th and restored to iOS 6 prior to Apple ceasing the signing of iOS 6... which I believe was somewhere around the 20th.

Aytu

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2013
Previous stby time

Hi,
This is a snapshot i had previously taken. notice usage time of 15 hours and total stby time of 2 days and 12 hours.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 67

Aytu

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2013
And ios 7

And with ios 7 usage time is 3 hrs and stby time is 8 hours.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 72

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Hi,
This is a snapshot i had previously taken. notice usage time of 15 hours and total stby time of 2 days and 12 hours.

And with ios 7 usage time is 3 hrs and stby time is 8 hours.

Usage could mean a lot of things. An hour of music and an hour of gaming would have different impacts on the battery.

In the first few days of getting iOS7, I did notice a battery hit on my 5 but now, a month later, my battery life is just as good as it was on iOS 6. So I believe it gets better with time or simply our usage patterns revert back to normal. (we do tend to abuse our phones after a new, shiny update)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.