Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
It is good for the Mac platform that Apple are strong, healthy and have money to invest. So I'm happy with this news.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Yes, in the short run, until that PC breaks down in a year or so (less possibly) due to low quality materials to save cost and you have to buy another PC sooner. More $$ down the drain.
Sadly for you my experiences with even the cheapest components in all of my computers have been excellent.

I can say the same for my MacBook with its G.Skill RAM and Western Digital hard drive that I purchased off of NewEgg ages ago.

glis

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2008
Those profit margins are bordering on the obscene. Apple could reduce sales prices by 20% and their margins would still be above the industry average.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Sadly for you my experiences with even the cheapest components in all of my computers have been excellent.

I can say the same for my MacBook with its G.Skill RAM and Western Digital hard drive that I purchased off of NewEgg ages ago.

I understand it varies from user to user. However, my experiences have taught me not to be cheap buy high quality.

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
Gotta keep in mind Apple sold X number of iPod Touches to the military. I'm guessing that helped the iPod sales.

In any case another good quarter for Apple..

Yep, I'm keeping in mind that increased sales helped their profits. Thanks. :p

Also, my friend bought a Macbook so not sure why their computer sales were down.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Those profit margins are bordering on the obscene. Apple could reduce sales prices by 20% and their margins would still be above the industry average.
The gross margin (36.2%) is obscene, yes (Dell has 18% I believe), but after wages, marketing, R&D and all that stuff, the actual net profit percentage is around 9% (6% for Dell). So Apple blows more of their earnings than the other companies do. OS X development and more R&D would account for some of it, but I also have a feeling that they spend ludicrous amounts on advertising. Those "Hi, I'm a Mac" ads better have excellent entertainment value, because you're paying a lot for them.

MacLover4491

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2009
Mac and PC Use Same Parts

Yes, in the short run, until that PC breaks down in a year or so (less possibly) due to low quality materials to save cost and you have to buy another PC sooner. More $$ down the drain.

Mac and PC use the same parts. The only difference is the Shell or case. I dont know why you think PC use inferior parts.

Macs sales are down though. I think apple needs to do something. The profit is up because of iphones and ipods.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
May I quote Tina Fey:

Suck it, haters.

That includes all the lame Apple-bashing trolls that have infested these forums as of late.

Cycom

Suspended
Mar 27, 2007
Commiefornia
Very impressive (though not surprising in the least) that Apple is able to do so well in this economy. Just goes to show you that when you build quality hardware tied to the best operating system in the world (with the best customer service in the industry), even the apocalypse couldn't keep your company from pulling insane profits.

Apple rules.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Mac and PC use the same parts. The only difference is the Shell or case. I dont know why you think PC use inferior parts.

Macs sales are down though. I think apple needs to do something. The profit is up because of iphones and ipods.

I never said which components. True, outer shell is the main difference. However, there are other differences. Like choice of product and previous experience with it.

Like I said, I speak from personal experience

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
What I'm wondering is... isn't there usually a huge boost in Mac sales immediately after a product refresh? Because they've recently revamped pretty much all of the computers... new iMac and Minis for the first time in ages, completely new MBs and MBPs (Unibody), refreshed MacBook Air, Nehalem Mac Pro... all within a span of, what, 6 months? So, could it be that the modest 3% decline is actually much worse than it looks?

Goona

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009

So are PC sales, at least Apple is making profit of their Macs while PC sales are hardly making money because of cheap netbooks.

Goona

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
Very impressive (though not surprising in the least) that Apple is able to do so well in this economy. Just goes to show you that when you build quality hardware tied to the best operating system in the world (with the best customer service in the industry), even the apocalypse couldn't keep your company from pulling insane profits.

Apple rules.

Well said, this is your reward when you pay attention and give your customers good satisfaction. Those of us who own stock also get rewarded so we can spend more on Apple goods. :p

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
The gross margin (36.2%) is obscene, yes (Dell has 18% I believe), but after wages, marketing, R&D and all that stuff, the actual net profit percentage is around 9% (6% for Dell). So Apple blows more of their earnings than the other companies do. OS X development and more R&D would account for some of it, but I also have a feeling that they spend ludicrous amounts on advertising. Those "Hi, I'm a Mac" ads better have excellent entertainment value, because you're paying a lot for them.

Why do you have a thing for making "factual" statements off of your own assumptions?:confused:

I for one am glad Apple spends as much on R&D that they do.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
May I quote Tina Fey:

Suck it, haters.

That includes all the lame Apple-bashing trolls that have infested these forums as of late.
Apple-haters? Don't you mean Mac haters? 'Cause the Mac haters kind of got their wish.

I've never noticed any infestation of iPod or iPhone haters, though.
Why do you have a thing for making "factual" statements off of your own assumptions?
Why do you have a thing for taking sentences that begin with "I have a FEELING that..." as factual statements? How much more obvious does the disclaimer need to be? Should I use a larger font, just for you, for the part that explicitly states that it's s-p-e-c-u-l-a-t-i-o-n, not facts?

Goona

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
What I'm wondering is... isn't there usually a huge boost in Mac sales immediately after a product refresh? Because they've recently revamped pretty much all of the computers... new iMac and Minis for the first time in ages, completely new MBs and MBPs (Unibody), refreshed MacBook Air, Nehalem Mac Pro... all within a span of, what, 6 months? So, could it be that the modest 3% decline is actually much worse than it looks?

Sales from the Macbook Air boosted up last years quarter, which is the reason for the decline.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.