Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
May I quote Tina Fey:

Suck it, haters.

That includes all the lame Apple-bashing trolls that have infested these forums as of late.

It turns out those terribly expensive, overpriced MacBooks, underpowered iMacs, too-small Shuffles, the terrible iLife '09, not too mention the to-be-killed-imminently iPhone are actually quite popular.

Hearing Tim Cook dissing the Netbook phenomenon in only way he can was quite funny.

To call it a personal computer is a bit of a stretch.

Goona

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
It turns out those terribly expensive, overpriced MacBooks, underpowered iMacs, too-small Shuffles, the terrible iLife '09, not too mention the to-be-killed-imminently iPhone are actually quite popular.

lol

Pugpuppydude

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2008
Utah
YEAYEA!! Ya can't touch :apple:. Hopefully all other companies will fail, eliminating all competition, and then Apple can take over the world with Steve at it's front.
And what a world that would be. Oh brave new world, with such computers in it!

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Why do you have a thing for taking sentences that begin with "I have a FEELING that..." as factual statements? How much more obvious does the disclaimer need to be? Should I use a larger font, just for you, for the part that explicitly states that it's s-p-e-c-u-l-a-t-i-o-n, not facts?

I was talking about you stating that apple spends a crapload on their advertisements with nothing to back it up.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
Of course not, we are talking about the best-managed, strongest and most resilient IT company in the world, even in a virtually bankrupt country going through its worst financial crisis ever.

As I said on many occasions, Apple is poised to become the most powerful corporation in the sector, and will soon overcome MS's market cap as it already did for puny PC makers such as Dell.

MS IS DEAD. GO APPLE!

Pride goeth before a fall.

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
I'm listening to the Q&A and nobody is asking about Steve coming back nor anything about the Microsoft Ad's.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
I was talking about you stating that apple spends a crapload on their advertisements with nothing to back it up.
Well, you do the math... in 2005 they had a 29% gross margin, a net profit of 9%, which leaves 20% having been spent on operating costs. They spend 4% on R&D (circa $500 million in 2005), so that's 16% left (in other words not far from Dell's entire gross margin). So unless Apple has the highest paid employees in the world, there is ample room for filthy amounts of advertising costs.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
Hearing Tim Cook dissing the Netbook phenomenon in only way he can was quite funny.

'Netbook Phenomenon'? LOL! More like the 'geek's gotta have a new gadget that's not too expensive' phenomenon. I know more than a few people who have bought a netbook, used it a couple of times until the 'wow factor' wore off, and now it's a paper weight.

MacLover4491

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2009
Thank God no stupid netbooks! This is why I love Apple :)

I dont know why you hate netbooks. I would love a 10'' or 11'' apple unibody netbook with a 2.0ghz intel atom or better, 2gb ram, 120gb hdd, and something as powerful as intel 4500 graphic, 6hours battery life, and glass trackpad. I think its much more portable than the macbook air.

lowbatteries

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008

You must have not fully read the original statement ... he said "I also have a feeling that they spend ludicrous amounts on advertising".

Starting a statement with "I have a feeling ..." implies that (a) its your personal, non-factual opinion and (b) you don't have any evidence whatsoever, just a feeling.

So are you just mad that he's posting his gut feelings, while clearly stating that's all they are?

Apple should spend a lot of money on advertising, it would be remiss of them not to - as long as the R&D takes the bigger chunk.

Edit: I see Anuba has some very good points to back up his original feeling ...

Bonte

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2002
Bruges, Belgium
Thank God no stupid netbooks! This is why I love Apple :)

He said no cheap netbook that is labeled a Mac, he did say that the Touch partly fils that gap and they are looking at the segment. Same as last time the product pipeline is fantastic.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
I'm listening to the Q&A and nobody is asking about Steve coming back nor anything about the Microsoft Ad's.

The MS ads aren't important. They're not even worth discussing because of their sheer stupidity.

And Steve, quite Frankly, is less of a worry at this point. Tim & crew are proving themeselves to be quite capable. Investors care about the competence of the current management.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Well, you do the math... in 2005 they had a 29% gross margin, a net profit of 9%, which leaves 20% having been spent on operating costs. They spend 4% on R&D (circa $500 million in 2005), so that's 16% left (in other words not far from Dell's entire gross margin). So unless Apple has the highest paid employees in the world, there is ample room for filthy amounts of advertising costs.

So money cannot go to anything else? It obviously goes to advertisement?

Also your using data from 2005, things havent changed at all since then where maybe R&D has ramped up sharply? No products that obviously had a TON of development done? Nothing like, I dunno, the iPhone, the Air, unibody construction, etc?

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
The "very excited about new products in the pipeline" is getting old. I'll get excited when I see new products more often. The current R&D is providing some adequate updates but more innovation would be nice.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
You must have not fully read the original statement ... he said "I also have a feeling that they spend ludicrous amounts on advertising".

Starting a statement with "I have a feeling ..." implies that (a) its your personal, non-factual opinion and (b) you don't have any evidence whatsoever, just a feeling.

So are you just mad that he's posting his gut feelings, while clearly stating that's all they are?

Apple should spend a lot of money on advertising, it would be remiss of them not to - as long as the R&D takes the bigger chunk.

I was referring to his "I hope you like those get a mac ads, because theyre costing alot of money" statement. Hence my "using an assumption to springboard a comment"-like comment back.

Erwin-Br

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2008
The Netherlands
'Netbook Phenomenon'? LOL! More like the 'geek's gotta have a new gadget that's not too expensive' phenomenon. I know more than a few people who have bought a netbook, used it a couple of times until the 'wow factor' wore off, and now it's a paper weight.

Hehe, funny. I actually know someone like that too. But he has a MacBook Air. :eek:

Bonte

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2002
Bruges, Belgium
Updates on Jobs, looking forward to his return in June.

Lower Mac sales due to lower spending in educational market and less MacPro sales due to bad economy. Consumer spending is less affected.

thoshino

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2008
11 million iPods? If these figures keep up soon 1 in 10 people in all post-industrial countries will have one. I still have my Zen though.

Given Apples huge cash supply, "Big Capital"-rules state that they either have to give some of the money to their shareholders, make a huge acquisition, give Jobs an astronomic retirement fund or any combination of the above.
I'm guessing all of the above, but the most interesting is in my mind at least what company Apple could gain from acquiring.

Given the unsteady credit market it's not unreasonable to assume that the acquisition be self-sustained in regard to cost. Since Apple hasn't made it's move even in a god-or-someone-please-throw-me-a-lifeboat economy it might be a company worth around say $40 billion. Such a company would have to have an obvious connection to Apple's R&D, field of business or product line (for synergy) and ought to be laden with what "Big Capital" considers an oversized workforce ("ready for cost-cuts" or as you and I might say "pink-slip-o-mania").

Any suggestions? Please remember, Sun is off the board.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Hehehehe, you don't know the mini tower is supposed to save Apple?

Yup, its the backup plan when sales go south, they actually have warehouses full of amazing mini towers just waiting in the wings.:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.