Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Forget the sensationalism. That's dumb to even consider and write off an article. Behind the sensationalism is the pictures that show what the standard fanboy is arguing.

I agree we don't need the extra fanboy commentary to go along with the pictures, but how do you deny the pictures? saying "these designs have been around forever" doesn't work imo, because it's only samsungs phones/hardware that look that similar to Apple. If the other companies can differentiate on looks, why can't Samsung?

The microphone for example is on Google voice search thing and used there.

Weather, APple took theirs from yahoo and the lay out samsung is using sorry but I can point to at least 3 different apps that use that layout NONE of which use samsung makes.

As for the pictures from ObamaPacman. Sorry that guy is pure fanboy and those are edit photos with very small selection to try to make the argument (AKA crap and debunk multiple times.)

Phone photos from the same sight photo shopped to change the ratios on the samnsung device and line up size with iPhone.

The SD card sorry but I have seen multiple ones that have that design not form Apple. I have seen ones that have plug into a computer look like the ones samsung and APple use so again fanboy BS.
Charging cube sorry but Apple has a good design. Other companies are just to chicken to deal with stupid mindless fanboys to bother going with the best design for power strips (AKA put the USB plug out the top)

boronathan

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
The microphone for example is on Google voice search thing and used there.

Weather, APple took theirs from yahoo and the lay out samsung is using sorry but I can point to at least 3 different apps that use that layout NONE of which use samsung makes.

As for the pictures from ObamaPacman. Sorry that guy is pure fanboy and those are edit photos with very small selection to try to make the argument (AKA crap and debunk multiple times.)

Phone photos from the same sight photo shopped to change the ratios on the samnsung device and line up size with iPhone.

The SD card sorry but I have seen multiple ones that have that design not form Apple. I have seen ones that have plug into a computer look like the ones samsung and APple use so again fanboy BS.
Charging cube sorry but Apple has a good design. Other companies are just to chicken to deal with stupid mindless fanboys to bother going with the best design for power strips (AKA put the USB plug out the top)

Its telling that many of your justifications (in fact all) talk about fanboy bs. Seems you have just as big a bias as the fanboys you seem to not agree with.

Here's some usb to ac adapters from lg and htc. The htc has the prongs on top, which you would say arent "annoying". It doesn't look like apples. The simple question is, if every other oem can differentiate on looks, why can't Samsung?

4308d63b-b6ca-4fd9.jpg

4308d63b-b6d5-ab53.jpg

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Its telling that many of your justifications (in fact all) talk about fanboy bs. Seems you have just as big a bias as the fanboys you seem to not agree with.

Here's some usb to ac adapters from lg and htc. The htc has the prongs on top, which you would say arent "annoying". It doesn't look like apples. The simple question is, if every other oem can differentiate on looks, why can't Samsung?

Apple's plug is smooth... it can be a pain to unplug if it's in a tight wall socket.

images

Samsung actually improved on the Apple cube plug.
They added a raised lip around the edge so you can pull it out of the wall easier.

485968740_390.jpg

The of course there are aftermarket plugs that resemble the Apple one as well.

31LkH5ttW4L._SL500_SS500_.jpg

I hate those right angle adapters.

boronathan

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
Apple's plug is smooth... it can be a pain to unplug if it's in a tight wall socket.

Samsung actually improved on the Apple cube plug.
They added a raised lip around the edge so you can pull it out of the wall easier.

The of course there are aftermarket plugs that resemble the Apple one as well.

I hate those right angle adapters.

Hey I'm not arguing what you're saying, nor have i said they're duplicates (I've made it a point to state that they are similar and not exact).

I only got into this discussion because oletros seemed to imply that there is no other possible design for a USB to ac or a sd to usb. Clearly, that's not true.

Again, i just find it too frequent to just be a coincidence when it comes to Samsung. I also have a strong feeling Samsung will lose this case, but they may win on appeal.

boronathan

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
If you make them as small as possible there's a good chance they will have similarities.

Apple's iPad to USB adaptor from 2009 looking very similar to SendStation's iPod to FireWire adaptor from 2004...

View attachment 351539

Yep, and there's also ways to make them look different if they're smaller as evidenced by the lg and htc chargers i posted. So, that's why i think Samsung really didn't try.

I think what we've done here, and everyone can agree on, is oletros' implication was incorrect. There's a ton of ways to make the same thing.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Yep, and there's also ways to make them look different if they're smaller as evidenced by the lg and htc chargers i posted. So, that's why i think Samsung really didn't try.

I think what we've done here, and everyone can agree on, is oletros' implication was incorrect. There's a ton of ways to make the same thing.

Are you saying Apple "really didn't try" and copied SendStation?

boronathan

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
Are you saying Apple "really didn't try" and copied SendStation?

Yes.

Let me add actually. It's not an exact copy just like Samsung is not cloning. However, can i really sit here and say the Apple one looks nothing like the sendstation one? Wouldn't i look like a fool trying to argue that?

That's what some are doing with the Samsung stuff. It's like ppl are afraid to admit that Samsung was inspired by apple. Makes no sense.

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
Did we ever get confirmation that Samsung was actually involved in setting up that store?

I guess you missed the part of my post where I said that the Italian article about the store opening made it seem as if Samsung was directly involved...

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
So your solution is to change the argument? Oletros said he'd like to see how someone can make them different, i showed him how and now they're "huge and annoying"? What does how good they look have to do with anything at all? You're saying in order to make them look good, they HAVE to look like apples product?

No, my argument is that a PDMI adaptor for a thin device would look similar.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I guess you missed the part of my post where I said that the Italian article about the store opening made it seem as if Samsung was directly involved...

Euronics (the store in question) confirmed the decor was not part of the Samsung Kiosk, but part of their own store decoration. The icons were removed afterwards to stop any wild speculation. Basically, some poor "journalist" forgot to fact check before jumping unto the "Samsung copies!" bandwagon.

Of course, the sites that jumped on the story never bothered to post retractions as you can guess (wonder why... since it was mostly pro-Apple biased publications to start with).

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
Euronics (the store in question) confirmed the decor was not part of the Samsung Kiosk, but part of their own store decoration. The icons were removed afterwards to stop any wild speculation. Basically, some poor "journalist" forgot to fact check before jumping unto the "Samsung copies!" bandwagon.

Of course, the sites that jumped on the story never bothered to post retractions as you can guess (wonder why... since it was mostly pro-Apple biased publications to start with).

Any links to the store's confirmation? I can't find anything. If they did confirm it wasn't Samsung's fault then it is very irresponsible journalism for no one to update their articles.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Any links to the store's confirmation? I can't find anything. If they did confirm it wasn't Samsung's fault then it is very irresponsible journalism for no one to update their articles.

The story at AllThingsD and other "less biased" sources have the retraction in their comments sections. The story is over 1 year old though, so I dunno the exact source of the confirmation and finding anything about it is drowned out by the cries of the "pro-Apple Samsung copied!" crowd unfortunately. I don't care to look for it for much longer than the 2 minutes I already allotted, as again, that was debunked last year when it happened.

If you still don't believe it and want to believe Samsung guilty, I also don't really care about changing your or anyone else's mind anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.