Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

164609-ten_billion_song_contest.jpg

Apple today unveiled a "Countdown to 10 Billion Songs" promotion via the iTunes Store, offering the contest winner a prize of a $10,000 iTunes gift card. A counter on the main iTunes Store page currently displays in excess of 9.8 billion downloads.

According to the official contest rules, participants may make up to 25 entries per day either by purchasing/downloading songs from the iTunes Store or by filling out an entry form on Apple's web site. The contest begins today and ends once the 10-billion-song milestone is reached.
The prize will be awarded for the entry (either through a song download or through the non-purchase online entry) sent immediately following the download of the 9,999,999,999th song. The potential winner will be determined by the order of the entries received. In the event that more than one entrant would be a winner based on the simultaneous timing of entries, one entrant will be randomly selected from those entrants as the winner. Each entrant’s chances of winning are dependent upon the number of eligible entries received.
Apple has periodically offered similar contests in the past, such as its One Billion Song contest in 2006 and a One Billion App contest last year.

Article Link: Apple Rolls Out 'Countdown to 10 Billion Songs' Promotion

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
How is it a lame prize? Apple doesn't have to give anyone ANYTHING! It's a fun way to publicize the fact that the iTunes store is wildly successful.

macphisto

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2002
At home
I was wondering when Apple would fix the countdown clock. I noticed a couple of hours ago when it first went up it said 2.6 billion. :) Anyone else see it?

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
given that it's 9.8 billion people currently, you have a 1 in 200,000,000 chance of winning. That's still comparable to most lotteries. i'd rather go with the lottery.

rowanmwilliams

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2007
Sydney, Australia
given that it's 9.8 billion people currently, you have a 1 in 200,000,000 chance of winning. That's still comparable to most lotteries. i'd rather go with the lottery.

Your odds of winning would get progressively better. Say it's at 9,999,999,999 then your chances of winning are 1/1. There better than any lottery I know. That's is if I understand how the comp works. And it's not 100% statistically correct, there are many other factors to take into account.

TagMac

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2008
taxes?

"the winner is solely responsible for all applicable taxes, fees and surcharges associated with prize receipt and/or use"

Not sure I would want to pay the taxes for this "prize".

Bregalad

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Vancouver
I don't want $10,000 worth of iTunes music. I haven't even spent the $15 gift card I got last year because Apple Canada won't let me use it to buy apps.

I hope the winner is someone who actually appreciates the prize.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
"the winner is solely responsible for all applicable taxes, fees and surcharges associated with prize receipt and/or use"

Not sure I would want to pay the taxes for this "prize".

Ouch. That would burn. Isn't gift tax somewhere around 50% for these sorts of things? I don't have an extra $5,000 lying around. But then again I could eBay it and probably get more for it if it's a real $10,000 card. Collector's item.

8th news story of the day. Crazy! Yet none of them seems terribly important. Meh.

I would. :mad:

jk :p

you made me laugh :)

But seriously who in the world would need $10,000 on iTunes?!! That's ridiculous! Unless there is any truth to the rumor I heard a while back about possibly being able to use your itunes account for online purchasing similar to paypal...

Or at least let you purchase from the apple store. Is that even possible? I know if I won this I would definitely buy an ipad, macbook pro, imac, and more. that would be awesome!

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
100 million said:
On July 1, 2004, Apple announced that, starting with the sale of the 95 millionth song, an iPod would be given away to the buyer of each 100 thousandth song, for a total of 50 iPods. The buyer of the 100 millionth song would receive a PowerBook, iPod, and US$10,000 gift certificate to the iTunes Music Store.

500 million said:
On July 5, 2005, Apple announced that they were counting down to half a billion songs. The buyer of every 100 thousandth song up to 500 million would receive an iPod Mini and a 50-song gift card. The grand prize for the person who downloads the 500 millionth song was 10 iPods of their choice, a 10,000-song gift card, 10 50-song gift cards or 4 tickets to the Coldplay world tour. Twelve days later, on July 17, Apple announced that 500 million songs had been sold through the iTunes Music Store. The 500 millionth song, purchased by Amy Greer of Lafayette, Indiana, was "Mississippi Girl" by Faith Hill.

and

1 billion said:
On February 7, 2006, Apple announced that they were counting down to the billionth song download and began a promotion similar to the previous 100 million and 500 million countdown. Whoever downloaded the billionth song would receive a 20" iMac, ten 60 GB iPods, and a US$10,000 iTunes Music Card. The billionth song was purchased on February 23, 2006 by Alex Ostrovsky of West Bloomfield, Michigan. The purchased song was "Speed of Sound" as part of Coldplay's X&Y album.

So they were much more generous before.

(source)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.