Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cxny

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2004
New York
Graphs Please

Is the growth in iTunes sales still exponential? Folks used to post nice graphs showing rate of growth but I haven't seen those in a while. Obviously there will be a spike during the contest but how are things looking 1 year and 5 years out? There's certainly enough historical data at this point, when it was 100 million downloads things were a bit more sketchy.

ShawnBoucke

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2010
Prize winner

I am reading he rules (http://www.apple.com/itunes/10-billion-song-countdown/rules.html) and nowhere do I se it stating that the 10 billionth download wins. I really do not think this is the case. I looks like they take all of the entries and pick a winner after the 10 billionth song is downloaded. I cannot imagine Apple having people fill out up to 25 forms a day just to confuse people as was said earlier on this forum. I say fill out as many as you can now, because according to the rules, the more you fill out, the ore chances you have to win.

orange.x

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2009
I am reading he rules (http://www.apple.com/itunes/10-billion-song-countdown/rules.html) and nowhere do I se it stating that the 10 billionth download wins. I really do not think this is the case. I looks like they take all of the entries and pick a winner after the 10 billionth song is downloaded. I cannot imagine Apple having people fill out up to 25 forms a day just to confuse people as was said earlier on this forum. I say fill out as many as you can now, because according to the rules, the more you fill out, the ore chances you have to win.

Timing. The Promotion shall begin on February 11, 2010 and ends with the downloading of the 10 billionth song (“Promotion Period”). For purposes of the Promotion, the downloading of the 10 billionth song is considered to be either the downloading of the 10 billionth song from iTunes or the receipt of the non-purchase entry after the download of the 9,999,999,999th song, whichever comes first. Only entries submitted in this time period will be accepted. Sponsor’s computer is the official time keeping device for this promotion.

There it is.

What I don't get is that the name of the Promotion is 10 Bilion Song Downloads. Downloads mean that someone has to download music from the iTunes store, you can do that by buying a song and pay for it or download a free song. How can a submitted form with some personal information of someone be a real count of a "Song Download". That is stupid!

ShawnBoucke

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2010
It does not say the winner will be the 10 billionth download, just that the promotion period will be between the 11th, and the final download. The "entries submitted in this time period will be accepted." are all the ones in that time period, not just that one. Can someone show me where it ways the 10 billionth download is the winner? I only see it stating that all entries made in this time (the 11th through the final download) will be used.

Bregalad

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Vancouver
Just curious? If you "own" some digital music, how did you obtain it if you're not interested in buying from iTunes?

I have approximately 300 CDs from before I had kids and I've ripped most of them into iTunes.

It's mostly lack of interest in today's music that keeps me away from the store.

Most of what I own was at one time considered mainstream yet when I asked iTunes to find album art it came back with 235 instances of "could not find a match". To add insult to injury I discovered that a dozen album covers were completely wrong, as in totally wrong artist, album name and genre. So putting in album art has been a painstakingly slow business of locating a suitable image on the internet and pasting it into iTunes. But that's nothing compared with the song by song method needed to change Sort Artist and Sort Album Artist. I got so fed up having to change both fields song by song that I lost interest in the project and unplugged the external drive that holds my iTunes library. It's been weeks since the drive was even plugged in. I never got the equipment in place to stream iTunes to the living room stereo so I'm back to playing CDs and listening to the radio.

I'd like to be able to use my credit to buy apps, but Apple claims some Canadian law prevents it. What's weird about that is that another upset iTunes card owner has written to the federal government asking which law it is and the Minister in charge can't find any law preventing gift cards from being used to purchase software.

I don't want the credit to go to waste so I'll probably ask my daughter which songs she wants for her birthday.

nateharr

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
It does not say the winner will be the 10 billionth download, just that the promotion period will be between the 11th, and the final download. The "entries submitted in this time period will be accepted." are all the ones in that time period, not just that one. Can someone show me where it ways the 10 billionth download is the winner? I only see it stating that all entries made in this time (the 11th through the final download) will be used.

Read under "Timing."

It's quoted in the post above your most recent one.

A person can enter the contest without purchase by filling out the form provided. You are only allowed to enter this way 25 times a day.

These ARE NOT entries into a drawing. This system is set up to prevent people from creating programs that enter the contest without purchase hundreds or so at a time.

It's to level the playing field.

Your non-purchase entries do not matter until the 9,999,999,999 iTunes song download is made. They are not added to the counter, or increase your odds of winning.

It would however be possible to create a script that enters the contest 25 times at once. But the customer will have to decide a what time to try. The more times you enter the contest at the time of the 9,999,999,999 download the more likely you are to download the 10 billionth song or win the contest.

I plan on buying as many iTune albums as I can as close to the expected time as possible. It was my birthday recently and I have a lot of iTunes credit built up. I plan on buying four or five movie soundtracks based on the time the download is expected to hit. (Whatever my final calculators factor out. It's really just a gamble and I don't expect to win. I am however going to put forth a genuine effort.)

I just hope the download occurs at night or during this four-day-weekend. (We got today off for snow in Louisiana, and we have Monday off for President's Day. I want to be able to sit by my computer instead of having to attempt from my iPhone.)

The last promotion with the applications finished around 9 AM Central Standard Time and I was busy in class. :(

swagi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
totally,totally get where you are coming from, but people like you are exactly the sort of customers apple despise in their quest to OWN the media WE pay for.

It's called cd ripping...and I've been doing it since 1995. And by doing it myself, I can choose any MP3 bitrate or even go lossless (which I prefer).

I have over 5000 cds, legally purchased and obtained.

There are still a large % of people who still buy cds...and there is even a larger % who still own the cds they purchased before iTunes became mainstream around 2005.

I have approximately 300 CDs from before I had kids and I've ripped most of them into iTunes.

It's mostly lack of interest in today's music that keeps me away from the store.

Most of what I own was at one time considered mainstream yet when I asked iTunes to find album art it came back with 235 instances of "could not find a match". To add insult to injury I discovered that a dozen album covers were completely wrong, as in totally wrong artist, album name and genre. So putting in album art has been a painstakingly slow business of locating a suitable image on the internet and pasting it into iTunes. But that's nothing compared with the song by song method needed to change Sort Artist and Sort Album Artist. I got so fed up having to change both fields song by song that I lost interest in the project and unplugged the external drive that holds my iTunes library. It's been weeks since the drive was even plugged in. I never got the equipment in place to stream iTunes to the living room stereo so I'm back to playing CDs and listening to the radio.

I'd like to be able to use my credit to buy apps, but Apple claims some Canadian law prevents it. What's weird about that is that another upset iTunes card owner has written to the federal government asking which law it is and the Minister in charge can't find any law preventing gift cards from being used to purchase software.

I don't want the credit to go to waste so I'll probably ask my daughter which songs she wants for her birthday.

Hey guys. Thank you for your input...

And I'm so happy that there are still people around like you guys...people that can look through all this marketing scam.

iTMS is Apple's future of money making. There are still people here telling us, that the sole purpose of iTMS is generating hardware sales and the iTMS is barely running at break even. We hear that all over again.

By the same time we see Apple stepping further and further to an OS and media presenting service, where we shall submit all our data to iTMS to make it easier to cater us with targetted ads. We should impulsively buy one song because "Genius" recommended us, that it's our style.

I'm so with you on Album art. I kept months searching for proper Album art, just to find out, that iTunes is so damn stupid. If you guys want to see a real disturbing iTunes glitch in action, than just rip an original Soundtrack (I never tried a sampler, because the "Kill Bill Vol. I" soundtrack experience was too much for my nerves).

Every single artist on the album gets its own representation in Cover Flow or List view. Instead of having the real deal (i.e. one Album art for the whole album with all different artists) it's all messed up.

But it's so damn cool to use iTunes, now that we have this LP feature, isn't it.

All I want to say - basically I have no use for this contest, as I would never ever spent this much money on iTunes. I'm more the guy ordering limited edition DVD/CD steelbooks or digipaks, because I love the artistry. :D

And I rip them nevertheless for my convenience and leave this Album Art stuff behind. :D

nateharr

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
The data so far:
http://www.temporaryfix.net/countdown.html

I need to update my scraping script to automatically update the local and online chart, but that should be done shortly.

GNUplot suggestions are welcome.

FYI: I love you.

I suck at internet scripting, and I don't understand any of that kind of thing.

But I really want to put for a genuine effort to win this thing. You could have kept that info all to yourself. (Well, at least not displayed as helpfully as you have it.)

Thank you SO much!

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
Cheapskates!

$10.000 as an iTunes voucher?! Are they mad? Just give me an iPhone, an iPod Touch Pro (also called iPad) and a MacBook Pro, so I can sell them (I already have two of them). But what the hell am I supposed to do with a $10.000 iTunes gift card? Sell it to some celeb-iPod-music-uploading companies? Those kiddos would pay a few grand for it, I suppose...

Or I might download the whole Beatles catalog... :D

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
Blame the record labels!

Just curious? If you "own" some digital music, how did you obtain it if you're not interested in buying from iTunes?

There is a great invention from the last millennia, called 'Compact Disc'. You can rip them.

Also, there are other music stores, such as Amazon's which I prefer. No copy protection, great deals, higher bitrate...

But if you ask me, I spent most of 2000 on Napster. The $10.000 voucher would be nowhere near enough to cover the price of that music collection that I created back then. But that inspired me to buy over 1000 CDs since then, so bollocks to the music business and their corporate incompetence!

nateharr

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
$10.000 as an iTunes voucher?! Are they mad? Just give me an iPhone, an iPod Touch Pro (also called iPad) and a MacBook Pro, so I can sell them (I already have two of them). But what the hell am I supposed to do with a $10.000 iTunes gift card? Sell it to some celeb-iPod-music-uploading companies? Those kiddos would pay a few grand for it, I suppose...

Or I might download the whole Beatles catalog... :D

It's none transferrable. If you win, it's yours and only yours. You can't sell it, break it up, or give it away.

It's pretty much free iTunes for life. I cannot ever imagine spending $10,000 on iTunes, even after downloading all the music, movies, apps, and TV shows I could ever want.

mikes70mustang

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
US
This is to see how stupid people are, theyll make TONS more $ than they give away from people downloading in a downloading frenzy.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future

When we were counting to 1billion apps downloaded, there were similar rules.The Apple press release stated clear as day that the 13 y/o who download the billionth app got the prizes.

KYPackrat

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2010
I think what this means is 7 cent songs... If you look at any other coupon or prize money, it will say that cash value is 1/100th of a cent. I'm sure it's the same deal here. That means you pay 1/200th of a cent in taxes and then 7 cents for every song you buy on this. I could be wrong, though.

I am not a lawyer. When it comes to tax law, even lawyers don't do perfectly. Heck, even the IRS messes up often.

I looked this up a bit when the 1 billionth app came around (I was curious), and then I looked some more when I saw this thread. Go look at http://books.google.com/books?id=Y3...tqzAw#v=onepage&q=tax court car prize&f=false (page 74).

In the US, Apple gives its valuation to the IRS on a form 1099, and you can suggest your value with an amended 1099. The famous target for this is the Price is Right; they are notorious for quoting Suggested Retail Prices that are double to triple (or more) actual retail. The standard suggestion is documenting multiple stores that sell the item, and then taking an average (or, at worst, the highest) and calling that retail value. For items that can be sold new by customers (pianos, etc.), the tax courts will sometimes accept a resale value that was derived honestly (no selling to cousin Luigi) and accurately reflects the marketplace. Some tax courts also accept wholesale price as taxable value, but that's a lot more spotty.

I would suggest finding a couple of discounters like Sams Club that regularly cut 5 - 10% off iTunes card retail prices, and then use that to cut the equivalent amount off of the retail price of the $10k prize.

I first agreed that you shouldn't be able to be taxed if you can't resell the item, but that argument has rarely flown in tax court. They go with retail value; if you get $10k in iTunes credit, it's taxable because it would have cost you around $10k to buy that much iTunes credit, even if you then can't sell/transfer it.

nateharr

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
I am not a lawyer. When it comes to tax law, even lawyers don't do perfectly. Heck, even the IRS messes up often.

I looked this up a bit when the 1 billionth app came around (I was curious), and then I looked some more when I saw this thread. Go look at http://books.google.com/books?id=Y3...tqzAw#v=onepage&q=tax court car prize&f=false (page 74).

In the US, Apple gives its valuation to the IRS on a form 1099, and you can suggest your value with an amended 1099. The famous target for this is the Price is Right; they are notorious for quoting Suggested Retail Prices that are double to triple (or more) actual retail. The standard suggestion is documenting multiple stores that sell the item, and then taking an average (or, at worst, the highest) and calling that retail value. For items that can be sold new by customers (pianos, etc.), the tax courts will sometimes accept a resale value that was derived honestly (no selling to cousin Luigi) and accurately reflects the marketplace. Some tax courts also accept wholesale price as taxable value, but that's a lot more spotty.

I would suggest finding a couple of discounters like Sams Club that regularly cut 5 - 10% off iTunes card retail prices, and then use that to cut the equivalent amount off of the retail price of the $10k prize.

I first agreed that you shouldn't be able to be taxed if you can't resell the item, but that argument has rarely flown in tax court. They go with retail value; if you get $10k in iTunes credit, it's taxable because it would have cost you around $10k to buy that much iTunes credit, even if you then can't sell/transfer it.

That is outrageous. I'm 16 and my parents won't let me get a job. What happens if I were to win? I don't have a couple thousand dollars lying around to pay the taxes.

My mom said that because I'm a minor it would be treated as income and I wouldn't get taxed nearly as bad as an adult.

But what if the average Joe off the street won? Can he turn the prize down?

I don't have a use for $10,000 in iTunes. Maybe a couple hundred. If the winner has to pay taxes and cannot resell it it wouldn't be worth it.

I'd happily pay taxes on it if the taxes could be deducted from the value of the card, or if the prize was a $10,000 Apple Store gift card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.