Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

farmermac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2009
Iowa
Nope - I think its also gimmicky. I've never had the desire or need to encrypt anything on any computer I've ever used and doubt 90% of Mac users do either.

Seems like its something they are doing to pad out the feature list of lion.

Among other things, I keep my business' financial data in an encrypted folder. I don't see how having a methods of keeping files safely encrypted is "gimmicky". I do understand how you may not have any data worth safe keeping but that's just you.

jc1350

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
Please, Apple, add whole-disk encryption support in Lion. PGP sucks and TrueCrypt does not support whole-disk encryption yet on the Mac.

PGP is great. The only thing I don't like about it is the need to decrypt your boot disk before you upgrade PGP. I like TruCrypt because it's files do not have headers and you can do triple layer encryption.

Over all, PGP is the best. I love the public key repository system.

PGP is a great product (for now). I do have concerns that Symantec will ruin it, though. It has ruined other products it acquired.

Truecrypt will never support WDE on the boot disk as long as it uses MacFUSE - it is technologically not possible. It would have to be rewritten as a kernel extension, and I doubt that will happen unless someone forks it. :(

Last edited:

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
..what on Earth are you storing in your iTunes library?

I always find it disturbing when I hear of a library of that size and really want to know how the hell you get it that big. My gut tells me is fair amount of pirated stuff.
I know my 30gig music library is not complete legal.

While true does not change the fact that I still think it joke patent and even if granted (which our patent office loves to do) would still never hold up in court. I could easily see it thrown out for prier art or just logical that things like that go together. I think Apple knows it but just something to throw into a file if someone ever does try to sue them for it they can pull it out and say LOOK we have it already. A defense patent is all I see it as.

Honestly he could have a lot of TV shows and movies. They take up a lot of room especially when downloaded and not ripped and encoded with a great encoder (I find those Digital Versions on Blu-Ray combo's 2-3x the size they need to be). Also, people with insanely large legit libraries usually have the music as some sort of lossless files.

Myself, I have 15GB of purely legal stuff. However, I only have three movies and one season (30 shows) of TV so it's mostly music.

HD Movies and TV Shows really eat up space.

I've also ripped several hundred DVD's, and over 1000 CD's in ALAC.

It just keeps adding up.

I don't pirate anything I have many friends who work in the industry so I would never do that.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
I

While true does not change the fact that I still think it joke patent and even if granted (which our patent office loves to do) would still never hold up in court. I could easily see it thrown out for prier art or just logical that things like that go together. I think Apple knows it but just something to throw into a file if someone ever does try to sue them for it they can pull it out and say LOOK we have it already. A defense patent is all I see it as.

As I understand the only "new" thing about this is the choice of the icon (i.e. safe box) but who on earth let them patent this?

Why are you two so concerned about this? This could be potentially very good for Apple users. It'll be a service native to OS X. Reason to celebrate, if anything.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Why are you two so concerned about this? This could be potentially very good for Apple users. It'll be a service native to OS X. Reason to celebrate, if anything.

yet what does our comment have anything to do with Apple but calling this a joke patent and maybe an example of a reason our patent systems needs a massive overhaul.

We do not all worship at the alter of Apple.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
yet what does our comment have anything to do with Apple but calling this a joke patent and maybe an example of a reason our patent systems needs a massive overhaul.

We do not all worship at the alter of Apple.

What's your basis for calling it a "joke" patent?

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
At this time, Lion doesn't sound very exciting... Well I'm sure this has time to change until this summer, but even Snow Leopard didn't gain any features during that one year after its announcement...

But Snow Leopard was never marketed as a 'feature release', it was seen a 'under the hood' release - so if you felt let down it is because you refused to listen to what Apple was explicitly stating.

Lion on the other hand will be an interesting situation for Apple - I'd sooner they make it a 'bug fix and update' release than adding new features; I want long standing Appkit bugs being fixed which make development difficult on Mac OS X, OpenGL updated to 4.x, graphics drivers better optimised for gaming performance, bringing in a webkit2 compliant browser and maybe even a move to the 64bit kernel by default on those platforms that support it.

aeaglex07

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2007
United States
but snow leopard was never marketed as a 'feature release', it was seen a 'under the hood' release - so if you felt let down it is because you refused to listen to what apple was explicitly stating.

Lion on the other hand will be an interesting situation for apple - i'd sooner they make it a 'bug fix and update' release than adding new features; i want long standing appkit bugs being fixed which make development difficult on mac os x, opengl updated to 4.x, graphics drivers better optimised for gaming performance, bringing in a webkit2 compliant browser and maybe even a move to the 64bit kernel by default on those platforms that support it.

+1

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
What's your basis for calling it a "joke" patent?

fact that we already have multiple services that run like that. You have drop box for example. MS already has had multiple systems like that in place for years.
You may not see it in MS system in play in the consumer space so much does not change the fact that it been out there for years now.

That is my bases of it. It is a system we have had around for years. Just because Apple all of a sudden put a joke patent on it does not change the fact that at this point the patent is a joke and no way it would ever hold up in court and safe to bet Apple knows it.
The only reason I can see Apple even creating this patent at all is to defend itself from patent trolls. Out side of that it is completely worthless.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
fact that we already have multiple services that run like that. You have drop box for example. MS already has had multiple systems like that in place for years.
You may not see it in MS system in play in the consumer space so much does not change the fact that it been out there for years now.

That is my bases of it. It is a system we have had around for years. Just because Apple all of a sudden put a joke patent on it does not change the fact that at this point the patent is a joke and no way it would ever hold up in court and safe to bet Apple knows it.
The only reason I can see Apple even creating this patent at all is to defend itself from patent trolls. Out side of that it is completely worthless.

Well I'm glad one of us has read Dropbox's and Apple's patent filings in detail. It must have taken you a great deal of time. For a second there I was worried. And what's even better, now I know that cmaier isn't the only person on these forums who specializes in IP law. Why didn't you say anything before?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
How is this new?

Open Disk Utilities, create a secured image, place it on a remote server. Done.

Yes, because that is certainly a simple and easy to understand consumer centric approach to doing such a thing. :rolleyes:

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
LOL!!! The Apple Lock Box. AL GORE!!! YOUR FILES WILL BE SAFE FROM THE INSOLVENCY OF SOCIAL SECURITY!!!!! :D

Seriously though, Lion is really shaping up to be a whole lotta nothing I want or need.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
LOL!!! The Apple Lock Box. AL GORE!!! YOUR FILES WILL BE SAFE FROM THE INSOLVENCY OF SOCIAL SECURITY!!!!! :D

Seriously though, Lion is really shaping up to be a whole lotta nothing I want or need.

...based on the occasional rumor and speculative article.

:rolleyes:

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California

Have you even looked at the actual claims of the application? You can't tell whether or not a patent is valid by reading what some blog posts about its abstract.

Burger Thing

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Around the World
Just because Apple all of a sudden put a joke patent on it does not change the fact that at this point the patent is a joke

Brilliant
icon_rolleyes.gif

MacNewsFix

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
Twin Cities
One of the "new" features of Lion is the "Launchpad".

Those of us old enough will realize that Apple had something very similar a loooong time ago in System 7 that they killed with Mac OS 8: The Launcher

launcher.gif

Please tell me I'm not the only one who remembers that :D

Hardly! It was the only thing I could employ to keep my cousins from getting into their parents' system folder. LOL

MacNewsFix

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
Twin Cities
Could it replace 1Password for us, end-users?

I'm not sure that is the point of the feature. More like dead simple cloud-based storage.

Should be interesting to see what Lion holds. So far, it seems like less than Snow Leopard. Unless they have big surprises in store for the Apple WWDC, I'm guessing Lion may be a free update to Snow Leopard users.

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
...based on the occasional rumor and speculative article.

:rolleyes:
Exactly! I need MORE information, which is why I visit this site. But when it fills with garbage like 7" iPads and Apple-branded TV sets, I can only shake my head... :eek:

applemagic123

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2009
First of all, I would NEVER backup to a cloud. The cloud could get compromised. Seco d of all, you can just simply install a free app called "change visibility" which enables you to hide any file/volume/app you want. Its easy to "unhide" it again as well.

Pironik17

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2011
I would love to see this on Lion. I all ready use dropbox, but manly for photos from iPhone to iPad to Mac. But If I could use this to keep safe my important files like iTunes and RAW files I'll be very happy. I just hope they don't charge to much for more storage.

nylonsteel

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2010
i'm still not comfortable with the cloud keeping all my data - unfortunately I feel this is the way its gonna be down the line - I have to say having a cloud vault seems novel though - but - i'm not a believer in this new fangled cloud thing yet

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.