Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Yup. So many people do not understand the difference between the 18 month publication of a patent application and an actual granted patent.

Yep. I half believe Apple doesn't file nonpub requests just so the people around here have something to get all riled up about.

AdamRock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Toronto
this would sort of explain the new data center...but anyways, still a very good feature, but hopefully if they do add it, it wont have such a small size limit.

Zortrium

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
i'm still not comfortable with the cloud keeping all my data - unfortunately I feel this is the way its gonna be down the line - I have to say having a cloud vault seems novel though - but - i'm not a believer in this new fangled cloud thing yet

If your data is encrypted with a password that isn't stored anywhere, then what are you not comfortable with? I store sensitive information like my 1Password database and tax information in an encrypted filesystem in my Dropbox -- I'm not worried about it, because even if some rogue Dropbox employee takes a peek at my data all they'll see is random bits. The worst that can happen is that Dropbox's servers crash and I lose my cloud copy of the data, but that's what I've got local backups for. This would presumably be no different.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
My thoughts exactly. I'm scratching my head.

All the sheep and fanboys will think it is an amazing new feature, that until now, has never been possible. Another lie for the keynote speaker to blast out when they launch a product that s nothing more than iOS for Macs.

littleb2005

macrumors member
May 27, 2007
PGP is great. The only thing I don't like about it is the need to decrypt your boot disk before you upgrade PGP. I like TruCrypt because it's files do not have headers and you can do triple layer encryption.

Over all, PGP is the best. I love the public key repository system.

for me the slow speed pgp offers compare to true crypt is disgusting

http://forum.pgp.com/t5/PGP-Desktop-for-Macintosh/Truecrypt-VS-PGP-Speed-Wise/td-p/35332/page/2

about the safe box i couldn't see myself using it as am more of a wde person

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Among other things, I keep my business' financial data in an encrypted folder. I don't see how having a methods of keeping files safely encrypted is "gimmicky". I do understand how you may not have any data worth safe keeping but that's just you.

You missed the point. We already have encryption on the mac. Its called FileVault.

This is exactly the same, but it uploads it to the cloud...something you would NEVER want with your financial data.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
All the sheep and fanboys will think it is an amazing new feature, that until now, has never been possible. Another lie for the keynote speaker to blast out when they launch a product that s nothing more than iOS for Macs.

:confused: I was with you up until iOS. This is not an iOS patent - its clearly an OS X patent. Keep the 'OS X is becoming iOS' crap in another thread please...

(make no doubt, I dont like the idea of this cloud-based FileVault and I certainly dont like the idea of iOS and OS X becoming one!)

oscarmacca

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2008
One of the "new" features of Lion is the "Launchpad".

Those of us old enough will realize that Apple had something very similar a loooong time ago in System 7 that they killed with Mac OS 8: The Launcher

launcher.gif

Please tell me I'm not the only one who remembers that :D

I remember Launcher and a lot of bugs in System 7.5 that continually crashed my Performa 630+. Probably the main reason I went over to Windows in 1995.

Glad to be back though!

Žalgiris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Lithuania

How cool that you are not one of those sheep.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
I would like just the ability to encrypt individual files or folders, rather than File Vault's full home-folder encryption.

While File Vault obviously should prevent an attacker seeing what's in my home folder, in addition to preventing them opening any of it, the lack of true Time Machine support is a bit of a killer for me, as I'm not too fussy about a lot of my files, but some particular folders I would like to secure without the hassle of managing images or scripts myself. A nice "encrypted" checkbox would be brilliant, especially if Lion could also add a better mechanism in Time Machine for incremental backups of an encrypted folder without backing up the whole thing each time.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
:confused: I was with you up until iOS. This is not an iOS patent - its clearly an OS X patent. Keep the 'OS X is becoming iOS' crap in another thread please...

(make no doubt, I dont like the idea of this cloud-based FileVault and I certainly dont like the idea of iOS and OS X becoming one!)

Not directly, but it all links in to Apple having complete control of the ecosystem.

shiseiryu1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
I disagree

another patented Apple patent on junk that has already been developed and employed. Way to go that extra mile and be innovative, Apple.

Apple - "We used to be innovated until we focused our time on selling iStuff as there is more money to be made."

The idea of encrypting files/folders is not old, however I don't know of other OSes which have this option. The benefit is not of the idea itself...it's in the tight integration with the OS. For example, you could complain that Time Machine wasn't innovative because backup solutions have existed forever. However, the awesome thing about time machine was that it was extremely simple to use and you don't have to install/configure extra software to get started.

By the way, Time Machine has saved my butt on several occasions..I love it. It think this virtual locker will also be very useful if well implemented and secure enough.

shiseiryu1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
What if your house burns down?

You missed the point. We already have encryption on the mac. Its called FileVault.

This is exactly the same, but it uploads it to the cloud...something you would NEVER want with your financial data.

No offense but your last sentence reminds me of the fear-mongering that I used to hear when online banking first came around.

What's going to happen when your house burns down or if someone breaks in and steals your computer? Not everyone has all of their valuable or irreplaceable information in a safety deposit box at their local bank. I think this is an excellent idea...especially if Apple implements it in a secure enough fashion.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
another patented Apple patent on junk that has already been developed and employed. Way to go that extra mile and be innovative, Apple.

Apple - "We used to be innovated until we focused our time on selling iStuff as there is more money to be made."

With all your negative posting about Apple, it would be interesting to know what innovative thing YOU have so far developed and contributed in this field or the field of cancer research?

If you don't use their products or don't like the company, maybe you can find a more productive way to spend your time?

PS: Please let us know how many patents you hold! Even the junk patents!

On the subject: Apple: Just buy dropbox and your work is done:)

Pndrgnsvc

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
Georgetown, Texas
What Encryption Protocol?

Disk Utilities maxes out at the 256 bit AES. While that is good enough for me, might anyone have insight (guess) re what Apple will actually use and will it meet NSA standards and the like?

I'm just thinking of all those Government & Industry lost laptops, and cracked desktops that would otherwise be less vulnerable, and ergo more enterprise sales, etc.

farmermac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2009
Iowa

Of course I know about filevault, but have on desire to encrypt my entire home folder to secure 20mb's worth of files. I already have an off-site backup of my encrypted financial data, I see no issue with it. 256bit encryption with a secure password takes any worries away.

gorjan

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2009
CPH
The idea of encrypting files/folders is not old, however I don't know of other OSes which have this option. The benefit is not of the idea itself...it's in the tight integration with the OS.

Windows 2000 did this at least. I don't know about XP/Vista/7, but they probably have an option like 2000 did.

Kevenly

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008
The wrong planet.
I would absolutely love this as a native OS feature, but only for local storage.
I'm old-school that way.

Hmm and I was always fond of the Launcher, except I for some reason always wanted it to close when I launched something so I'd try to do a quick click on the close button after clicking an app. 'Course back then a few kilobyte of RAM really counted for something. I think I spent $100 for a 4 megabyte RAM card in my Mac LC II.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Disk Utilities maxes out at the 256 bit AES. While that is good enough for me, might anyone have insight (guess) re what Apple will actually use and will it meet NSA standards and the like?

I'm just thinking of all those Government & Industry lost laptops, and cracked desktops that would otherwise be less vulnerable, and ergo more enterprise sales, etc.

The NSA, DoD and so on use WDE (Whole Disk Encryption) and NSA/DoD-specific security software/hardware.

Regarding AES: AES-128 is actually more secure than AES-256, because AES-256 and AES-192 have some design flaws. I recommend that you use only AES-128.

The Apple Safe Deposit Box will use probably public key cryptography with a 2048-Bit or 4096-Bit RSA-key (they should use Diffie-Hellmann).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.