Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Why? For trying to help a guy out?

No. For trying to help a person get a copy of the IOS beta through means other than being a paid dev.

Originally Posted by w0lf
Google.com

Posting that is warez and gets almost immediately removed. I would know I already got 2 warnings for it. I don't even know if this is legal for me to say but just google the most recent build number followed by tpb.

w0lf

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2013
USA
No. For trying to help a person get a copy of the IOS beta through means other than being a paid dev.

You mean OSX not iOS.

But for real, it's not like Apple needs to be charging you to be a dev, they're only the wealthiest company in the world by capital and 18th by revenue. Running the beta as a non-dev isn't hurting Apple, in fact it can be positive considering they would receive more bug reports, with more people using the beta. Now if it were a beta of an actual release build like 10.9 that would cost money when it's released to the average consumer then I could understand the argument of it being stealing potential revenue or something but as it stands I see no problem with testing what will be a free release early, especially if you happen to be someone who is experiencing problems with everyday activity running 10.8.2 . On top of all of that if Apple really wanted to they could easily prevent non-devs from using dev builds just like they did with iOS, but even then you can still get around paying the $100 for that by sharing device access like a bunch of people already do for iOS.

sshhoott

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
You mean OSX not iOS.

But for real, it's not like Apple needs to be charging you to be a dev, they're only the wealthiest company in the world by capital and 18th by revenue. Running the beta as a non-dev isn't hurting Apple, in fact it can be positive considering they would receive more bug reports, with more people using the beta. Now if it were a beta of an actual release build like 10.9 that would cost money when it's released to the average consumer then I could understand the argument of it being stealing potential revenue or something but as it stands I see no problem with testing what will be a free release early, especially if you happen to be someone who is experiencing problems with everyday activity running 10.8.2 . On top of all of that if Apple really wanted to they could easily prevent non-devs from using dev builds just like they did with iOS, but even then you can still get around paying the $100 for that by sharing device access like a bunch of people already do for iOS.

That's a deep thought. OS X updates are free so should be the developer builds, simple as that. No one is stealing.

Sheep comment.

Milltek

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
U.S. Northeast
I was not asking for a non-Apple source for the beta. That's why I went on to say that I had registered and had looked on the Apple site. I presumed that I was just not seeing the correct download link. After what I paid for my Apple gear there's no way I'd use a download from some warez site to install an OS.

Apologies if I caused any mis-understanding.

On another topic, when I got the iMac, I started it and it was 'up' so long that when we eventually had a power failure I couldn't remember where the power switch was. That was in the Snow Leopard days. Just thought I'd mention it as a counterpoint to all the power-down issues folks are having.

Thanks.

Last edited:

sshhoott

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
I was not asking for a non-Apple source for the beta. That's why I went on to say that I had registered and had looked on the Apple site. I presumed that I was just not seeing the correct download link. After what I paid for my Apple gear there's no way I'd use a download from some warez site to install an OS.

http://developer.apple.com/membercenter/
or
https://connect.apple.com/

On another topic, when I got the iMac, I started it and it was 'up' so long that when we eventually had a power failure I couldn't remember where the power switch was. That was in the Snow Leopard days. Just thought I'd mention it as a counterpoint to all the power-down issues folks are having.

Thanks.

So you can't find you power button on your iMac?

Or are you giving us a better way to shutdown (by pulling the plug)?

Milltek

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
U.S. Northeast
So you can't find you power button on your iMac?

Or are you giving us a better way to shutdown (by pulling the plug)?

No, I found it. And, no, I don't recommend just pulling the plug. Like most people here I can get irritated by some of the shortcomings in OS X or with Apple. The point I was making is that having moved from an almost 100% Windows environment to Apple it's easy to forget the nightmares of dealing with the various releases of Windows. Vista comes to mind! So sometimes I'm willing to cut them some slack.

Thanks

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
The point I was making is that having moved from an almost 100% Windows environment to Apple it's easy to forget the nightmares of dealing with the various releases of Windows. Vista comes to mind! So sometimes I'm willing to cut them some slack.
How long are you people going to wave the "Vista" flag? It's getting old.

Eventually it was fixed AND... MS still supports it. :eek: Apple could learn a thing or two on this.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
That's a deep thought. OS X updates are free so should be the developer builds, simple as that.

Apple isn't charging for the betas, they're charging for the dev program which includes other stuff as well. The reason they don't release the betas to the general public is because they are betas, and many people would install them without understanding what that means and complain that they had all the issues you'd expect from a beta.

noiseordinance

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
If the official release doesn't come out tomorrow, I'll eat my hat. If it DOES come out tomorrow, but does not address the Safari garbage and other obvious bugs on my rMBP, I'll eat my cat.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
If the official release doesn't come out tomorrow, I'll eat my hat. If it DOES come out tomorrow, but does not address the Safari garbage and other obvious bugs on my rMBP, I'll eat my cat.

Really..

Attachments

• LOL-CATS-lol-cats-2985219-772-726.jpg
    LOL-CATS-lol-cats-2985219-772-726.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
I'm so tired of waiting for this... :mad:
I can't fully migrate to my new Mac without proper Windows 8 support, and looks like by the time 10.8.3 will be released I will be on my next Mac already :D

Window 8 support ( not really needed IMHO) doesn't even seem like it is on the radar for Apple.

ghosthaunt11

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2013
Could you please stream it live for us?

I want pics of the guy eating his hat and/or cat.

You guys are being mean. It's not right to make fun of anyone's anger. How would you like it if anyone made fun of YOUR anger? By the way, noiseordinance, I feel the same way you feel about the long wait for the release. I sure hope that Apple releases it to the public today and NOT another beta.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.