Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
Many people use beta's as their daily driver especially it's if at least beta 3 or later. All the major bugs are normally fixed by then.

Understandable but it clearly says in the release notes it's not for that. So complaining when FB is not working is a little ridiculous.

Must we go through this every single time Apple releases a beta? The reality of it is that people are going to use the beta. The beta is going to have bugs. People are going to post about those bugs, because this is a forum, and it's literal function is to facilitate discussion. We don't need a bunch of armchair warriors telling them 'it's a beta.' We all know that.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
Compared to?

It's hard to pin down where the performance improvements are coming from compared to iOS 8.1.X. Could be updated apps. Could be updates in iOS 8.2. It does perform better. Much less stuttering for sure. The Spotlight rotation stutter is probably not going to get fixed. Besides that I don't much to complain about. Even Safari seems to behave more often.

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
Make sure you're using an actual iPad power brick (2.1A) and genuine Apple cable to charge it.

If they are official, you might want to try a different brick+cable to make sure yours aren't the problem.

Yeah, so I'm learning. It worked fine with the small 5W USB adapter in previous iOS's, but whatever... Amazon's delivering a 12W tomorrow.

Tonewheel

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2007
Must we go through this every single time Apple releases a beta? The reality of it is that people are going to use the beta. The beta is going to have bugs. People are going to post about those bugs, because this is a forum, and it's literal function is to facilitate discussion. We don't need a bunch of armchair warriors telling them 'it's a beta.' We all know that.

Agree, but they shouldn't be complaining about "hoping this and that is finally fixed"! Gets tiresome.

scottct1

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
Connecticut USA
Since updating to this beta I keep getting a message on screen that the device plugged into my phone may not be compatible with my phone...

Only problem is I don't have anything plugged in my phone.

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
Hopefully this will fix the glitcy WiFi disconnection and screen rotation issues on iPhone 6??

----------

Agree, but they shouldn't be complaining about "hoping this and that is finally fixed"! Gets tiresome.

It may be annoying to sift through these types of comments here on MR, but until these issues get fixed, these are legitimate concerns. Just browse Apple's own iOS 8 forum for a quick rundown and I'm sure you'll see quite a list.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
Am I alone in that Sharing extensions won't keep their order - and they never have? Every beta I hope it is fixed - but now I'm thinking maybe it's just me.

I can make the changes in Safari, refresh the page, tap 'share' again and boom - back to default.

not you, this showed me just how bad Apple's software team has gotten.
Copy & Paste still not fixed as well I bet.

godrifle

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Fort Thomas, KY
OK, I call your bluff on your totally ridiculous affirmation (i.e. : Android with better WIFI on average.. can't even write that with a straight face). Tell me the name of your university and I'll contact their IT department and get the skinny on this.

I don't read anywhere in sir1963nz's original post that WI-FI is better on Android, only that iOS isn't properly saving saved credentials on authenticated proxies.

Well I hope it fixes the total failure of IOS to remember/use the stored credentials for authenticated http proxies.

sir1963nz

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2012
That's ridiculous.

My daughter's Android tablet is constantly losing network connection, and I have to delete the connection and re-add it. The iPads in our house have no problem.

Now I know why - her Android tablet is just a status symbol and a toy. Thanks for clarifying that for me. I now have no reason to try and figure out the Android issue - no reason to use my brain and figure things out - I just declare it a 'toy' and a 'status symbol' and that's it. Problem solved.

This is not "home" environment, this is a University where tax payers money is being spent. Because of the way the proxies are configured. IOS7 and IOS8 devices can not work and do not work on the network. Apple has been notified, Apple has agreed the bug is in their software, Apple has failed to fix it.
Lots of teaching/research/admin resources here are web based, IOS devices can not get to them, they can not get software updates either. The bug interferes with 100% of http and https traffic all day every day meaning they are unusable.

THAT makes IOS devices a status symbol, nothing more now.

I turn wifi off on my iPhone 5S because all the Apps wanting updates in the background (weather, stocks, Facebook, etc etc etc) all bring up a proxy log/pass dialog box, 20-30 times a day.

Not so bad for me, but our blind lecturing staff member ..... they SHOULD be able to use SIRI, but can't on Wifi, so we are shelling out more money for data for their personal phones so they can continue to function.

The Android devices we have bought do work, every day.

So its a choice, do you buy the iPad that does not work or the Android Tablet that does ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.