Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today provided developers with the first beta of an upcoming update to tvOS, the operating system that runs on the fourth-generation Apple TV and powers its built-in App Store. Today's tvOS beta comes just over one month after the release of tvOS 9.1, the first update to tvOS since it was released in October alongside the new Apple TV.

tvOS betas are more difficult to install than beta updates for iOS and OS X. Installing the tvOS beta requires the Apple TV to be connected to a computer with a USB-C to USB-A cable, with the software downloaded and installed via iTunes.

tvos_9_2_beta_1.jpg

We don't know what's included in the new version of tvOS, but it's likely to bring expanded features, bug fixes, and performance improvements to Apple's youngest operating system.

The first tvOS update, tvOS 9.1, introduced Siri support for Apple Music, allowing the personal assistant to play content from Apple Music when requested. Siri for Apple Music on the Apple TV works similarly to Siri for Apple Music on iOS devices, enabling queries like "What was the top song in 1980?" or "Play Adele's latest single." It also brought support for the iOS and Apple Watch Remote app, which is now compatible with the new Apple TV.

What's new in tvOS 9.2:

Bluetooth keyboard support - tvOS 9.2 now supports Bluetooth keyboards, allowing a keyboard to be paired to the Apple TV for text entry. This is a major feature that was missing from previous versions of tvOS and its addition should make it much easier to do things like enter passwords.

Folders - tvOS 9.2 includes support for grouping apps in the Home screen into Folders, much like one can do on an iOS device. Folders are a bit buggy on the Home screen, but this will improve in subsequent betas.

tvos_folder-800x450.jpg

tv_os_folder_1-800x447.jpg

MapKit - tvOS 9.2 supports MapKit, allowing developers to implement maps into their tvOS apps.

Siri - Siri now includes support for US Spanish (in the US only) and French Canadian (in Canada only). UK English, Australian English, and US English are now available in the UK, Australian, and US Storefronts when English is set as the tvOS language.

App Switcher - There's a new look for the App Switcher interface in tvOS.

tvos_switcher-800x445.jpg

Podcasts - The Podcasts app is now available on the fourth-generation Apple TV.

Article Link: Apple Seeds First Beta of tvOS 9.2 to Developers

Reactions: appledefenceforce

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Bought a 64 GB AppleTv last week for 30 Euro less than retail price, should have waited, it's got a lot of potential but the OS still has some ways to go.
Agree Apple can do more to improve it. But I feel most of the benefit will come from third party Apps. At least for me it is almost all about the App Store.

Reactions: centauratlas

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Bought a 64 GB AppleTv last week for 30 Euro less than retail price, should have waited, it's got a lot of potential but the OS still has some ways to go.

Improvements are always welcome, but I'm finding a ton of value in the ATV4. I have had every generation ATV since the first big white one. This one is already amazing, and it gets better with every update.

As more developers create apps it will get even better. Kick it in gear, Amazon.

I need the iOS remote!

Then why don't you download it?

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
Anyone installed this yet? Is it possible to do an "update" install, or does the aTV have to be completely restored/wiped like with the 9.1 beta?

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Wonder if Siri will eventually be allowed to search through personal Movie and TV show collections in iTunes, or other media center apps like it can with music.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Are you saying Bluetooth keyboards are now supported?
Apparently in the Beta:
Bluetooth keyboard support - tvOS 9.2 now supports Bluetooth keyboards, allowing a keyboard to be paired to the Apple TV for text entry. This is a major feature that was missing from previous versions of tvOS and its addition should make it much easier to do things like enter passwords.

Reactions: tonyr6 and Rigby

SgtPepper23

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010
Los Angeles, California
i just wish Apple would allows devs access to the storage! i can stream in HD from Netflix et all just fine, but somehow from my home network, if sharing anything, it has to buffer every few minutes...

Hyperbole much? Can really get why this was such a "horrible" experience for people.

I set up two of them, and it really wasn't bad at all. 5 minutes and done. And months of pleasurable usage since.

in my experience, it was difficult, typing up long email addresses and passwords... certainly enough to be called frustrating

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
i just wish Apple would allows devs access to the storage! i can stream in HD from Netflix et all just fine, but somehow from my home network, if sharing anything, it has to buffer every few minutes...

Yeah what's with that? Apple TV has been that way since it was first released.

Anyway, Plex solves the problem!

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Strange. I have no buffering issues sharing from multiple windows/mac machines.

However, I do have everything hard wired. Wonder if that is the difference.

Reactions: pjarvi

Norbs12

Suspended
Apr 24, 2015
Mountain View, CA
Hyperbole much? Can really get why this was such a "horrible" experience for people.

I set up two of them, and it really wasn't bad at all. 5 minutes and done. And months of pleasurable usage since.
You're using quotes wrong. Never said "horrible" just frustrating.

I don't use simple/short passwords so the input method sucked. Then I was wasting time trying to get the remote app working to find out it doesn't work. After which I went for a bluetooth keyboard which also turned out not to work. Lots of time wasted on things I expected to work is frustrating.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.