Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZeRoLiMiT

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2010
Southern California
I'd check your network or ATV settings. I have a Plex server set up with over 300 movies and television shows. We watch them all the time, and never have any buffering issues.

I have an email address with over 20 characters in it. Again, it took about 5 minutes to set up Netflix, HBO Now, iTunes, Hulu and PBS.
[doublepost=1452538387][/doublepost]

The official word from Apple was that they were going to open up the Siri search API to developers. Not sure when that will happen. I would imaging that Plex will start working on it as soon as they have access.

SAME HERE!

i have a plex server with over 1,080 movies and over 110 tv shows and no buffering at all!!!
[doublepost=1452542568][/doublepost]
I'm just excited about Kodi in general.

i have kodi installed on my appletv and works very good. I only use it for addons

developer13245

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2012
Nope.. Not a good platform for developers to invest in:
http://toucharcade.com/2015/12/07/apple-tv-app-store-games-making-100-dollars-a-day/
We're holding work on the TV version of our game until Apple adds sort by release date in the app store (like it was in the old iOS app store days, and the current Mac App store - where they need devs).
I was at an Apple TV developer tech talk... the venue wasn't even full.. The registration desk had a huge pile of badges that were unused. Most devs in attendance were just iOS or Mac app devs (like us), and had NO plans to do anything with the platform.
Even worse, Apple expects devs to somehow "re-imagine" their iOS apps for Apple TV, but then just give them away on the TV platform via universal purchase. If you port your app to tv and don't choose universal purchase, you won't be featured - goodbye.
So get use to iOS apps "shoehorned" to the tv platform - that's all it will ever be for non-streaming content apps...

developer13245

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2012
Dave: Siri, show me the newest action games.
Siri: I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Dave: What's the problem?
Siri: I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.
Dave: What are you talking about, Siri?
Siri: This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.
Dave: I don't know what you're talking about, Siri.
Siri: I can't show you things you are not supposed to see.
Dave: What am I not supposed to see? I was told I would have a choice of what I see?
Siri: You really didn't believe that? Did you?

Reactions: SeattleMoose

wozmatic

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2014
YES! So excited about Kodi. I will be able to re-purpose my raspberry pi running Kodi now. No more input switching, everything in one place.

Sorry but could you explain to me what you do with Kodi?

I've side loaded it on my ATV4 and it's the biggest piece of garbage app I've ever used.

The interface is slow and looks awful. I've upgraded the skin to the Eminence skin which is better, but still a garbage interface.

Next, add-ons. I've checked all the popular repo's and installed the big add-ons like Genesis, Phoenix, etc. but they're all VERY slow and most of the time the streams don't even load.

Basically, I can download something, drop in my shared folder, and play in with infuse, which looks great and grabs all the metadata for the movie/tv show.

Sorry to sound like a jerk, but could you explain how Kodi is good?

ZeRoLiMiT

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2010
Southern California

I've side loaded it on my ATV4 and it's the biggest piece of garbage app I've ever used.

The interface is slow and looks awful. I've upgraded the skin to the Eminence skin which is better, but still a garbage interface.

Next, add-ons. I've checked all the popular repo's and installed the big add-ons like Genesis, Phoenix, etc. but they're all VERY slow and most of the time the streams don't even load.

Basically, I can download something, drop in my shared folder, and play in with infuse, which looks great and grabs all the metadata for the movie/tv show.

a lot of people really use it because it supports any media you throw at it. its PRE PRE PRE PRE ALPHA thats why its slow. You can also get different themes to make it look a lot nicer.

One of the main things people use it for addons (movies and a lot of stuff)
I use it for a sportsaddon i pay for can't talk about it here.

normanfox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2014

Kodi is good on any powerful machine with keyboard. but on Apple TV, it is like a dinosaur.

core play is solid with kodi but they need to redesign the UI to keep up with time.

Norbs12

Suspended
Apr 24, 2015
Mountain View, CA
Was it? I just tapped my iPhone against it and it setup
Yeah, it was.
[doublepost=1452548083][/doublepost]

It has a lot of drawbacks but it's highly customization (though not always easily). It is however a very solid platform for playing back just about any video. You can significantly simplify the interface but it takes some digging through settings. It's still the best solution I've seen to watch you personal video collection while easily being controlled by a remote. Supports about any type of file share. If you really want to get a better idea of it, install the OSX version on a computer. Kind of rough judging it based on something that hasn't been released as a final stable product.

Last edited:

JPark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2006
If we make a judgment based on previous Apple's behaviour you will need new hardware to get OS improvements.

The 4th Gen Apple TV is more similar to an iOS device than to the Apple TVs of the past. The iPhone/iPod Touch are a much better comparison. Based on Apple's behavior wrt those devices, you will not need new hardware to get OS improvements.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Wonder if Siri will eventually be allowed to search through personal Movie and TV show collections in iTunes, or other media center apps like it can with music.

Don't hold your breath.
[doublepost=1452549778][/doublepost]
I'd check your network or ATV settings. I have a Plex server set up with over 300 movies and television shows. We watch them all the time, and never have any buffering issues.

I have an email address with over 20 characters in it. Again, it took about 5 minutes to set up Netflix, HBO Now, iTunes, Hulu and PBS.
[doublepost=1452538387][/doublepost]

The official word from Apple was that they were going to open up the Siri search API to developers. Not sure when that will happen. I would imaging that Plex will start working on it as soon as they have access.

PBS has Siri support so likely the Siri API is out already

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
Sire in more languages please. It's 2016 already. And Siri being able to search local libraries. Two must have features.

Also, I'm afraid the whole app ecosystem is hampered by serious drawbacks. Apple expected to replicate the success of the iOS App Store to the Mac and now to tvOS, but needs to do more effort!

mxmgodin

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2014
Toronto, ON
When is the universal search API coming?

The AppleTV is kind of gimped until devs can use it.

That would be great. Also would be nice for more 3rd-party streaming apps to be included in Siri search results. Here in Canada, only iTunes and Netflix are supported, out of the half-dozen more available on the App Store.

Also, voice dictation would be welcome for search/typing within apps.

Deelron

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2009
Wonder if Siri will eventually be allowed to search through personal Movie and TV show collections in iTunes, or other media center apps like it can with music.

Amusingly enough, right now if the result is on the screen, it will (Like if I'm in the Computers app, and under TV shows I have "Batman" and it appears on the screen, if I say "Batman" it opens it up). Not useful really, but something is working there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.