Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac.network

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2010
10.9.1 ruined up Mail for me

Mavericks has been a major problem with crackling noises on my Presonus Firewire audio interface but only when playing full screen movies. Also movies streaming from iTunes on another Mac would stall - but both these issues were fixed by removing iStat Pro widget.
So my advice is to strip back any third party apps that might be incompatible before blaming Mavericks.
On the other hand Apple have totally screwed up Mail with 10.9.1. It was a disaster from day one in Mavericks and Apple’s half baked attempts to fix Mail are just making things worse. In 10.9.1 using mail signatures to control the font in outgoing emails doesn't seem to work. And mailing a web page from Safari is now a joke.

MacTCE

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2013
Raleigh NC
Mavericks has been a major problem with crackling noises on my Presonus Firewire audio interface but only when playing full screen movies. Also movies streaming from iTunes on another Mac would stall - but both these issues were fixed by removing iStat Pro widget.
So my advice is to strip back any third party apps that might be incompatible before blaming Mavericks.
On the other hand Apple have totally screwed up Mail with 10.9.1. It was a disaster from day one in Mavericks and Apple’s half baked attempts to fix Mail are just making things worse. In 10.9.1 using mail signatures to control the font in outgoing emails doesn't seem to work. And mailing a web page from Safari is now a joke.

+1
I don't know what's going on with Apple Mail's team, but they're got to get their ***** together!

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
umm... not even a week and already 10.9.2 is seeded to developers

The only thing i can recall as Apple would push this update so quickly to developers, is if its serious...

Apple virtually always releases the next seed very soon after public release of the last one. Development is continuous and with every point release they lock down what is included at some point and while it is getting a final test the devs move on to the next. Every OS is a work in progress and this is no different than any beta release.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
This one was probably started weeks ago.... They are also working on OS X 10.10 and iOS 8 right now, too.

10.9.2 patch likely was in development before 10.9 shipped :) Timelines and OSs are so complex these days you have to plan in that much deadline and that far ahead to keep all the different factors in sync.

Edwin

CyBeRino

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
Yes, sorry I didn't clarify. I would love to be able to airdrop between my iPhone and MacBook Pro.

I think that will happen in the future, because otherwise it makes no sense they have two technologies that work similarly, have the same use-case and are named identically but aren't compatible with eachother. I expect it's planned for the near future.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
10.9.1 has brought me (running the late 2013 Retina MacBook Pro):

* random kernel panics (happens when running VMware Fusion) - same as in 10.9.0

* Mail.app checking "Automatically" fails - same as in 10.9.0

* PDFs sometimes are displayed without a scroll bar and do not allow scrolling - same as in 10.9.0.

* Video performance seems to randomly get *really* sluggish at random times - same as in 10.9.0.

* Bluetooth has "died" on me once. I could not disable/enable it to get it working again, I had to reboot (this did not happen in 10.9.0).

Please, bring on 10.9.2. And make it quick. PLEASE.

I know it doesn't help you but I have not seen any of those issues happen on the 50+ Mac's we have in our offices for games development and testing.

Seems you might have gotten unlucky with your upgrade (see it happen many times over the years) and something went wrong. I'd check permissions first and perhaps backup and reinstall your OS from scratch.

Edwin

----------

Must be some bugs Apple missed...

The only thing i can recall as Apple would push this update so quickly to developers, is if its serious... like pushing out the iPhoto 9 but unable to open the application. till 9.1

I recall Apple sending betas for 2 OS updates at the same time before. :)

Based on my experience of OS X development over the last decade it goes a little like this.

x.x.1 is the minor fixes and clean up. Usually ships quite soon after launch.

x.x.2 is performance and some of the bigger harder to fix bugs. Sometimes a feature update that missed the launch.

x.x.3 onwards is usually polish/performance and less serious bug fixes.

Face time audio, you bet its serious. However, i can't even believe this never existed on Mac with Facetime....

So, you could see people, but not have a audio conversation ?

Maybe i'm wrong, but this seems a bit "iffy"....... Why would Apple not do this ?

Yes you are wrong :) You could always have audio when you do a video call!

You just couldn't have FaceTime as audio ONLY this is a new feature, it's basically Apple making FaceTime compete with Skype but doing it for free (but Apple only).

Seems, Apple not the first time to do slip-ups like this...

With software as complex as a new OS and the millions of users you can't catch everything before launch. :)

Edwin

Suspended
Sep 16, 2013
anyone notice any improvements with external audio devices?

10.9.1 didn't improve clicking/stuttering audio on quicktime videos and stuttering on iTunes after a couple min of playback

lots of people are pointing fingers at the fusion drives

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Consumer OS.

Still; I love it.

As opposed to a programmer OS?

Not sure what you mean here.

----------

Must be some bugs Apple missed...

The only thing i can recall as Apple would push this update so quickly to developers, is if its serious... like pushing out the iPhoto 9 but unable to open the application. till 9.1

Face time audio, you bet its serious. However, i can't even believe this never existed on Mac with Facetime....

So, you could see people, but not have a audio conversation ?

Maybe i'm wrong, but this seems a bit "iffy"....... Why would Apple not do this ?

Seems, Apple not the first time to do slip-ups like this... iBooks was one too...

You must be new to computers. They've only been doing this since forever.

----------

This beta has seriously messed up my Mac's audio.

Speakers sound like tin cans. Tried a PRAM and SMC reset and checked my audio preferences :-/

Looks like I'm gonna be on headphones for a while.

That's why it's a beta. :p

----------

Has anyone tried this beta with any 3D game titles that previously had exhibited problems with OpenGL performance? Bioshock Infinite, to be specific?

Sy7ygy

Suspended
Nov 16, 2012
Consumer? Hmmmm, guess I've been a delusional professional for the past 13 years... thanks for waking me up! Time to switch to a "real" operating system.

Chill; I'm a professional too.

But Apple have catered the OS towards consumer since Lion.

As a Pro Operating System; it completely annihilates Windows/ various Linux distributions for me - Server.app is evolving nicely - Profiling still needs work (Thank god for WGM).

Xsan (StoreNext backend) is still THE Video editing SAN platform bar none.

I do not understand the sudden hostility towards someone pointing out the obvious.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
ok,, lets have 10.9.3...

"10.9.2 is buggy"

10.9 was no better. I'll wait till next update (maybe), but honesty, I really disappointed by OS 10.9

Then again, you could start thinking this as "deliberate"...

Apple starts out rocky with 10.8 but by the time 10.8.5 came round, it was stable....

And the cycle repeats with 10.9

I dunno if i can wait any longer, but maybe a few more days then i;m going back,

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Then again, you could start thinking this as "deliberate"...

Apple starts out rocky with 10.8 but by the time 10.8.5 came round, it was stable....

And the cycle repeats with 10.9

I dunno if i can wait any longer, but maybe a few more days then i;m going back,

It's not exactly deliberate it's called development. When a new OS comes out it has a few issues as you cannot test it on a few million Mac setups before release. These then get patched. The final version of a previous OS is (almost) always more stable then the first release of a new one. This is true of all OSs not just OS X.

FYI Mavericks already has features that mean modern games will become Mavericks only very soon and as the OS updates come out with more bugs fixes this will happen more and more.

Mavericks is the biggest leap for 3D graphics in quite a while.

Edwin

advancewarsbest

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2013
I have a question about the disk util, sometimes when I verify disk it says I have bad attributes and to run it in recovery, but I just run it again it says no issues. SMC reset doesnt not work, or at least I doesn't do what the youtube videos show, I have ran apple hardware test and found no issues.

so hardware test just checks if your stuff works.

SMC reset will just restart your computer before it starts up. So like you know how you hear the mac sound, before it turns on the screen it shuts off, then automatically restarts (you should have let go of the buttons back then) plays the sound and the screen should turn on and run normal.

to run it in recovery you must boot to recovery partition and run the disk util there, make sure you are selecting your drive, not the top one but the mounted disk that contains your OS X (default macintosh HD, not the one that has the name of your hard drive). It seperates the hard drive from the partition of mac.

Hope this helps.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Yeah probably......I'm just impatient for 10.10 and want them to get all the 10.9 releases out of the way :D I suppose that's a long way off though..

Apple already started the development of 10.10 a long time ago and it isn't impacted by the 10.9.x releases. They have separate dev teams working on two or more OS projects at the same time.

If anything, you should hope Apple releases iOS 7.1 sooner and iOS 8 is on track. The iOS development is usually the cause of the delays to the OS X development as Apple is sometime forced to switch the OS X developers to the iOS team to maintain the more important and insanely more profitable iOS business.

Expect to hear about 10.10 at WWDC in June/July timeframe along with iOS 8, it's likely the releases for both will be in the fall/winter timeframes.

bingefeller

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
Northern Ireland
Apple already started the development of 10.10 a long time ago and it isn't impacted by the 10.9.x releases. They have separate dev teams working on two or more OS projects at the same time.

If anything, you should hope Apple releases iOS 7.1 sooner and iOS 8 is on track. The iOS development is usually the cause of the delays to the OS X development as Apple is sometime forced to switch the OS X developers to the iOS team to maintain the more important and insanely more profitable iOS business.

Expect to hear about 10.10 at WWDC in June/July timeframe along with iOS 8, it's likely the releases for both will be in the fall/winter timeframes.

Cool - thanks for the info. I'm content now. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.